Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by void.no.spam.com@gmail.com, Jul 13, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. I
    have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. I
    know that the router is working fine, because I can use an XP laptop
    to connect to the router using WPA or WPA2. But with the Vista
    machine, it always shows a "The wireless network security key is not
    correct" when I use the diagnose option to see why it doesn't connect
    using WPA/AES or WPA/TKIP or WPA2/AES or WPA2/TKIP. Vista can tell
    that the network is there, as it shows the network name with 5 green
    bars in the wireless connection window. It can also tell when I have
    changed the security settings on the router, as it will say "The
    settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the
    requirements of the network." But it just won't connect to the router
    using WPA or WPA2 for some reason. If I configure the router with
    WEP, then Vista connects fine, but I want to use WPA or WPA2.

    Can someone please confirm that wireless connections using WPA and
    WPA2 are working in Vista? If so, then it must be a problem with the
    PC60G wireless adapter. The PC60G uses a Ralink RT2561 chip, and I
    have the latest driver installed for that. I even tried the latest
    MSI driver, which is older than the latest Ralink driver, and that
    still did not work. MSI says that the PC60G supports both Vista and
    WPA2, but something is not working here.
     
    , Jul 13, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. I
    > have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    > unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. I
    > know that the router is working fine, because I can use an XP laptop
    > to connect to the router using WPA or WPA2. But with the Vista
    > machine, it always shows a "The wireless network security key is not
    > correct" when I use the diagnose option to see why it doesn't connect
    > using WPA/AES or WPA/TKIP or WPA2/AES or WPA2/TKIP. Vista can tell
    > that the network is there, as it shows the network name with 5 green
    > bars in the wireless connection window. It can also tell when I have
    > changed the security settings on the router, as it will say "The
    > settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the
    > requirements of the network." But it just won't connect to the router
    > using WPA or WPA2 for some reason. If I configure the router with
    > WEP, then Vista connects fine, but I want to use WPA or WPA2.
    >
    > Can someone please confirm that wireless connections using WPA and
    > WPA2 are working in Vista? If so, then it must be a problem with the
    > PC60G wireless adapter. The PC60G uses a Ralink RT2561 chip, and I
    > have the latest driver installed for that. I even tried the latest
    > MSI driver, which is older than the latest Ralink driver, and that
    > still did not work. MSI says that the PC60G supports both Vista and
    > WPA2, but something is not working here.



    Yes. I use WPA encryption..


    --
    Mike Hall - MVP
    How to construct a good post..
    http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
    How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=newswhelp&style=toc
    Mike's Window - My Blog..
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
     
    Mike Hall - MVP, Jul 13, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Mick Murphy Guest

    They both work with Vista.
    1. Update your router's firmware at the Manufacturer's website, so it is
    fully vista compatible
    2. Get the latest Drivers for your Network Adaptor.
    --
    Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


    "" wrote:

    > I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. I
    > have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    > unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. I
    > know that the router is working fine, because I can use an XP laptop
    > to connect to the router using WPA or WPA2. But with the Vista
    > machine, it always shows a "The wireless network security key is not
    > correct" when I use the diagnose option to see why it doesn't connect
    > using WPA/AES or WPA/TKIP or WPA2/AES or WPA2/TKIP. Vista can tell
    > that the network is there, as it shows the network name with 5 green
    > bars in the wireless connection window. It can also tell when I have
    > changed the security settings on the router, as it will say "The
    > settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the
    > requirements of the network." But it just won't connect to the router
    > using WPA or WPA2 for some reason. If I configure the router with
    > WEP, then Vista connects fine, but I want to use WPA or WPA2.
    >
    > Can someone please confirm that wireless connections using WPA and
    > WPA2 are working in Vista? If so, then it must be a problem with the
    > PC60G wireless adapter. The PC60G uses a Ralink RT2561 chip, and I
    > have the latest driver installed for that. I even tried the latest
    > MSI driver, which is older than the latest Ralink driver, and that
    > still did not work. MSI says that the PC60G supports both Vista and
    > WPA2, but something is not working here.
    >
     
    Mick Murphy, Jul 13, 2008
    #3
  4. Larry Finger Guest

    Pen wrote:
    > I had a laptop working fine using Vista Business with WPA2 Personal and
    > TKIP+AES. I blew off Vista to go back to XP for various other reasons.


    We use WPA-PSK/TKIP with XP, Vista and Linux.
     
    Larry Finger, Jul 13, 2008
    #4
  5. >>I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. I
    >> have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    >> unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. I

    >



    Is this apropos?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935222
     
    the wharf rat, Jul 13, 2008
    #5
  6. Guest

    On Jul 13, 5:30 pm, (the wharf rat) wrote:
    > >>I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. I
    > >> have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    > >> unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. I

    >
    > Is this apropos?
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935222


    It says the fix is part of SP1, which I have installed.
     
    , Jul 14, 2008
    #6
  7. Guest

    On Jul 13, 4:19 pm, Mick Murphy <>
    wrote:
    > They both work with Vista.
    > 1. Update your router's firmware at the Manufacturer's website, so it is
    > fully vista compatible


    The router works with XP and WPA/WPA2 (I tested that), so it should
    work with Vista, since the router wouldn't know what OS the clients
    are running. I also saw someone saying they are using Vista with WPA2
    and a WRT54GL. But I can try upgrading to the latest firmware later.

    > 2. Get the latest Drivers for your Network Adaptor.


    Yes, I tried that and they still don't work.
     
    , Jul 14, 2008
    #7
  8. bjr Guest

    Some routers can not handle the newer Vista features - upgrade the
    firmware on the router

    wrote:
    > On Jul 13, 4:19 pm, Mick Murphy <>
    > wrote:
    >> They both work with Vista.
    >> 1. Update your router's firmware at the Manufacturer's website, so it is
    >> fully vista compatible

    >
    > The router works with XP and WPA/WPA2 (I tested that), so it should
    > work with Vista, since the router wouldn't know what OS the clients
    > are running. I also saw someone saying they are using Vista with WPA2
    > and a WRT54GL. But I can try upgrading to the latest firmware later.
    >
    >> 2. Get the latest Drivers for your Network Adaptor.

    >
    > Yes, I tried that and they still don't work.
    >
     
    bjr, Jul 14, 2008
    #8
  9. smlunatick Guest

    On Jul 13, 8:54 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed.  I
    > have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    > unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2.  I
    > know that the router is working fine, because I can use an XP laptop
    > to connect to the router using WPA or WPA2.  But with the Vista
    > machine, it always shows a "The wireless network security key is not
    > correct" when I use the diagnose option to see why it doesn't connect
    > using WPA/AES or WPA/TKIP or WPA2/AES or WPA2/TKIP.  Vista can tell
    > that the network is there, as it shows the network name with 5 green
    > bars in the wireless connection window.  It can also tell when I have
    > changed the security settings on the router, as it will say "The
    > settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the
    > requirements of the network."  But it just won't connect to the router
    > using WPA or WPA2 for some reason.  If I configure the router with
    > WEP, then Vista connects fine, but I want to use WPA or WPA2.
    >
    > Can someone please confirm that wireless connections using WPA and
    > WPA2 are working in Vista?  If so, then it must be a problem with the
    > PC60G wireless adapter.  The PC60G uses a Ralink RT2561 chip, and I
    > have the latest driver installed for that.  I even tried the latest
    > MSI driver, which is older than the latest Ralink driver, and that
    > still did not work.  MSI says that the PC60G supports both Vista and
    > WPA2, but something is not working here.


    What firewall software, if any, are you using on this Vista PC? I've
    encountered a firewall software that blocks wireless SSIDs if not told
    to trust it.
     
    smlunatick, Jul 14, 2008
    #9
  10. Guest

    On Jul 14, 11:24 am, smlunatick <> wrote:
    > On Jul 13, 8:54 pm, ""
    >
    >
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed.  I
    > > have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    > > unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2.  I
    > > know that the router is working fine, because I can use an XP laptop
    > > to connect to the router using WPA or WPA2.  But with the Vista
    > > machine, it always shows a "The wireless network security key is not
    > > correct" when I use the diagnose option to see why it doesn't connect
    > > using WPA/AES or WPA/TKIP or WPA2/AES or WPA2/TKIP.  Vista can tell
    > > that the network is there, as it shows the network name with 5 green
    > > bars in the wireless connection window.  It can also tell when I have
    > > changed the security settings on the router, as it will say "The
    > > settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the
    > > requirements of the network."  But it just won't connect to the router
    > > using WPA or WPA2 for some reason.  If I configure the router with
    > > WEP, then Vista connects fine, but I want to use WPA or WPA2.

    >
    > > Can someone please confirm that wireless connections using WPA and
    > > WPA2 are working in Vista?  If so, then it must be a problem with the
    > > PC60G wireless adapter.  The PC60G uses a Ralink RT2561 chip, and I
    > > have the latest driver installed for that.  I even tried the latest
    > > MSI driver, which is older than the latest Ralink driver, and that
    > > still did not work.  MSI says that the PC60G supports both Vista and
    > > WPA2, but something is not working here.

    >
    > What firewall software, if any, are you using on this Vista PC?  I've
    > encountered a firewall software that blocks wireless SSIDs if not told
    > to trust it.


    The Windows Firewall. But WEP works on the computer. WPA and WPA2 do
    not work.
     
    , Jul 14, 2008
    #10
  11. Guest

    Well, I tried it one more time tonight, and it worked. Bizarre. Hmm,
    yesterday I had been uninstalling and re-installing different versions
    of the wireless adapter drivers, and something must have gotten
    corrupted, because after all that, WEP wouldn't work anymore. So I
    did a System Restore. That must have also fixed WPA2, because it is
    working now.
     
    , Jul 15, 2008
    #11
  12. Bill Pizzey Guest

    Vista Wireless WPA security

    Vista is a @$%#%$# of a system if you want to get WPA security working on your wireless system

    It took me many hours of stuffing around, nothing on the micrcosoft site (that I found) tells you what you need to do.

    To get it to work you must set it up manually, with the following settings.

    You must manually set the:
    Security Type to WPA-Personal
    Encryption Type to TKIP

    Unless Vista is set to these setting it will not work, and gives just you vague messages to essentially say it cannot fix it.


    TP-Link WA601G router was set to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
    with automatic Version selection and automatic Encryption selection
     
    Bill Pizzey, Nov 30, 2008
    #12
  13. Barb Bowman Guest

    Re: Vista Wireless WPA security

    sounds more like your router or wireless adapter/driver is the
    problem here. for most people, this works transparently.

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:12:55 -0800, Bill Pizzey wrote:

    >Vista is a @$%#%$# of a system if you want to get WPA security working on your wireless system
    >
    >It took me many hours of stuffing around, nothing on the micrcosoft site (that I found) tells you what you need to do.
    >
    >To get it to work you must set it up manually, with the following settings.
    >
    >You must manually set the:
    >Security Type to WPA-Personal
    >Encryption Type to TKIP
    >
    >Unless Vista is set to these setting it will not work, and gives just you vague messages to essentially say it cannot fix it.
    >
    >
    >TP-Link WA601G router was set to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
    >with automatic Version selection and automatic Encryption selection

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx
    http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
     
    Barb Bowman, Nov 30, 2008
    #13
  14. Re: Vista Wireless WPA security

    Hi
    The operating system (Vista or other) get the cues about Wireless from the
    Hardware Drivers (al most all of them are provided by the original
    manufacturer/vendor).
    Some of the Automatic thingies in some Routers Routers, or and, Wireless
    Cards utilities are Not Standard.
    So if the Router and the card are Not matching pair of the same
    manufacturer it might not work Auto., and needs manual configuration.
    In your case it seems that your hardware can do WPA and Not WPA2.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    "Bill Pizzey" wrote in message
    news:...
    > Vista is a @$%#%$# of a system if you want to get WPA security working on
    > your wireless system
    >
    > It took me many hours of stuffing around, nothing on the micrcosoft site
    > (that I found) tells you what you need to do.
    >
    > To get it to work you must set it up manually, with the following
    > settings.
    >
    > You must manually set the:
    > Security Type to WPA-Personal
    > Encryption Type to TKIP
    >
    > Unless Vista is set to these setting it will not work, and gives just you
    > vague messages to essentially say it cannot fix it.
    >
    >
    > TP-Link WA601G router was set to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
    > with automatic Version selection and automatic Encryption selection
    >
     
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 30, 2008
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?c2xhbWI=?=

    PTK Rotation in WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK

    =?Utf-8?B?c2xhbWI=?=, Sep 22, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,997
    =?Utf-8?B?c2xhbWI=?=
    Sep 22, 2005
  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdCBCYWxmb3Vy?=

    WPA2 backward compatibility with WPA: TKIP and/or AES?

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdCBCYWxmb3Vy?=, Oct 5, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,231
    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdCBCYWxmb3Vy?=
    Oct 5, 2005
  3. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    17,436
    capta1nk
    Nov 17, 2005
  4. hax3
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    4,929
  5. ChrisPC

    Netgear FWG11vPv2, can't get WPA / WPA2 to work

    ChrisPC, Sep 22, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    572
    ChrisPC
    Sep 22, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page