    one computer and install it on another computer?
    3.) will I be able to deactivate a copy of Windows XP Pro Upgrade
    (Academic edition) on one computer and install it on another computer?
    noobie win2k, Dec 30, 2003

  2. noobie win2k

    John D Loop Guest

    I don't think Windows has such a thing as "deactivation."
    Sounds like you have to get on the phone and beg Microsoft.
    Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
    homenetworking environments!
    www.pccitizen.com

    John D Loop, Dec 31, 2003

  3. noobie win2k

    Ghost Guest

    In article <mhvIb.13269$>, "AT"
    <torgny@@direcway.com> wrote:

    > "noobie win2k" <> wrote in message
    > > Someone told me that Windows XP Professional (OEM) -- once activated
    > > -- permanently associates itself with the system it's installed on.
    > > So, if I buy a copy of Windows XP Professional (OEM) from some online
    > > store -- along with some hardware, of course -- and I install it on a
    > > computer, that copy will remain permanently associated with that
    > > computer, right? BUT,supposedly, if I buy the retail version of
    > > Windows XP Pro then I will be able to install it on any number of
    > > computers -- ONE computer at a time of course.
    > > So, basically, I have 3 questions:
    > >
    > > 1.) will I be able to deactivate a copy of Windows XP Pro (OEM) on one
    > > computer and install it on another computer?
    > > 2.) will I be able to deactivate a copy of Windows XP Pro Retail on
    > > one computer and install it on another computer?
    > > 3.) will I be able to deactivate a copy of Windows XP Pro Upgrade
    > > (Academic edition) on one computer and install it on another computer?

    > 1.) NO/YES This is a little bit tricky. If you buy a computer with
    > installed OEM, that OEM software get married with the computer and can not
    > get a divorce in any way! BUT, if that OEM is bought "with internal
    > hardware" (screw, cable, memory, HD, what ever) then it is a little bit more
    > difficult. I would move my OEM software to an other computer (with the
    > "internal hardware") and take a fight with MS to get it activated on the new
    > one!
    > 2. YES
    > 3.) I have not read the EULA for those in a lot of years, but I think you
    > can do that. (Check with a distributer or MS)
    >
    > Remember that you never buy Software, only a license to use it.
    > Microsoft's retail versions can be moved around to any computer at any time
    > without problems (as long as it is only installed on one computer and you
    > call MS to activate).
    >
    > AT

    Mo, No, and No...

    You cannot "deactivate" WinXp any version. Although I am not quite sure
    what you mean by "deactivating"... There really is no such thing as
    "Deactivating" the OS.

    You can wipe any HDD and therefore remove the OS from any system.

    You can reinstall WinXP any version on any other machine- so long as you
    have a CDROM to install from and a COA product code.

    You will need to telephone big brother M$ and explain to them what you
    have done and they will issue a new activation code.

    If big brother M$ finds too many machines with the same COA Product Code,
    they can invalidate that code and it will no longer be able to be
    activated.

    This does not apply to branded tier one boxes (Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq,
    etc) which check the machine information before installation to be sure it
    is being installed onto their machine. So, you xannot take a Dell restore
    CD, for example, and install it onto a Compaq or onto a white box. Hell,
    you cannot even take a Dell restore CD and install it onto a different
    model Dell.
    Ghost, Dec 31, 2003