Does Thunderbird support http email?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Maleki, Jul 13, 2004.

  1. Maleki

    Maleki Guest

    Folks, the information at this site:

    indicates that (see the following) Thunderbird has support
    for http email accounts, like Hotmail, etc. But when I try
    to set up such account it does not provide me with any way
    for entering an http server. Does it or does it not support
    http email accounts? Thanks.

    ps- the information at the above site says:

    "Packed with Features
    Thunderbird gives you IMAP/POP support, support for HTML
    mail, labels, quick search, ... "

    --

    khorram An ruz kazin manzele virAn beravam
    rAhate jAn talabam vaz peye jAnAn beravam

    delam az vahshate zendAne sekandar begereft
    rakht barbandamo tA molke soleymAn beravam

    "Hafez"

    Maleki, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Maleki

    Moz Champion Guest

    Maleki wrote:
    > Folks, the information at this site:
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
    >
    > indicates that (see the following) Thunderbird has support
    > for http email accounts, like Hotmail, etc. But when I try
    > to set up such account it does not provide me with any way
    > for entering an http server. Does it or does it not support
    > http email accounts? Thanks.
    >
    > ps- the information at the above site says:
    >
    > "Packed with Features
    > Thunderbird gives you IMAP/POP support, support for HTML
    > mail, labels, quick search, ... "

    Um, you misinterpret that.

    "...support for HTML mail..." means that Thunderbird can send and receive mail in HTML format.

    Hotmail is not HTML mail, it is WEB BASED email, a totally different prospect. It takes a browser to be able to connect to HotMail or any other Web based email, and Thunderbird isnt a browser.

    Hotmail or Web based mail (which is sometimes confusingly called HTML based mail) provides a user with the capabilty to send (and receive) email via their browser.
    To access such sites you would use a browser such as Firefox, or Mozilla

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jul 14, 2004

  3. Maleki

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 7/13/2004 07:14 PM, Moz Champion wrote:

    > Maleki wrote:
    >
    >> Folks, the information at this site:
    >>
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
    >>
    >> indicates that (see the following) Thunderbird has support
    >> for http email accounts, like Hotmail, etc. But when I try
    >> to set up such account it does not provide me with any way
    >> for entering an http server. Does it or does it not support
    >> http email accounts? Thanks.
    >> ps- the information at the above site says:
    >>
    >> "Packed with Features
    >> Thunderbird gives you IMAP/POP support, support for HTML
    >> mail, labels, quick search, ... "
    >>

    > Um, you misinterpret that.
    >
    > "...support for HTML mail..." means that Thunderbird can send and
    > receive mail in HTML format.
    >
    > Hotmail is not HTML mail, it is WEB BASED email, a totally different
    > prospect. It takes a browser to be able to connect to HotMail or any
    > other Web based email, and Thunderbird isnt a browser.
    >
    > Hotmail or Web based mail (which is sometimes confusingly called HTML
    > based mail) provides a user with the capabilty to send (and receive)
    > email via their browser.
    > To access such sites you would use a browser such as Firefox, or Mozilla

    And you will need to use one of the programs like Mr. Postman, Hotmail
    Popper, or one of the others that have been discussed here before.

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

    .BRIAN., Jul 14, 2004
  4. Maleki

    Pun Krocker Guest

    On this day, 13/Jul/04 23:07, Maleki said the following:
    > Folks, the information at this site:
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
    >
    > indicates that (see the following) Thunderbird has support
    > for http email accounts, like Hotmail, etc. But when I try
    > to set up such account it does not provide me with any way
    > for entering an http server. Does it or does it not support
    > http email accounts? Thanks.
    >
    > ps- the information at the above site says:
    >
    > "Packed with Features
    > Thunderbird gives you IMAP/POP support, support for HTML
    > mail, labels, quick search, ... "

    You need a seperate program to use it, I use Hotmail Popper and it uses
    "Localhost", you can Google for Hotmail Popper.

    --
    d[®_®]b PK

    interviewing people who can't talk
    for people who can't read."

    Pun Krocker, Jul 14, 2004
  5. Maleki

    Maleki Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:14:48 GMT, Moz Champion wrote:

    > Maleki wrote:
    >> Folks, the information at this site:
    >>
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
    >>
    >> indicates that (see the following) Thunderbird has support
    >> for http email accounts, like Hotmail, etc. But when I try
    >> to set up such account it does not provide me with any way
    >> for entering an http server. Does it or does it not support
    >> http email accounts? Thanks.
    >>
    >> ps- the information at the above site says:
    >>
    >> "Packed with Features
    >> Thunderbird gives you IMAP/POP support, support for HTML
    >> mail, labels, quick search, ... "
    >>

    > Um, you misinterpret that.
    >
    > "...support for HTML mail..." means that Thunderbird can send and receive mail in HTML format.
    >
    > Hotmail is not HTML mail, it is WEB BASED email, a totally different prospect. It takes a browser to be able to connect to HotMail or any other Web based email, and Thunderbird isnt a browser.
    >
    > Hotmail or Web based mail (which is sometimes confusingly called HTML based mail) provides a user with the capabilty to send (and receive) email via their browser.
    > To access such sites you would use a browser such as Firefox, or Mozilla

    Ups. Thanks for the info.

    --

    peye kharmoredeh migardeh ke na'lesho bekkaneh.

    Maleki, Jul 14, 2004
  6. Maleki

    Chazz Matt Guest

    Maleki <> wrote in message news:<ul12iilltqs5> >

    > > Hotmail is not HTML mail, it is WEB BASED email, a totally different prospect. It takes a browser to be able to connect to HotMail or any other Web based email, and Thunderbird isnt a browser.

    NO, it doesn't take a browser to connect to Hotmail. Both Outlook
    Express and recent version of Outlook support Hotmail. They support
    POP, HTTP, and IMAP. This is what the person thought -- that
    Thunderbird could work as well as either of those two Microsoft
    products. You are saying it can't.

    Chazz Matt, Jul 15, 2004
  7. Maleki

    Chazz Matt Guest

    Maleki <> wrote in message news:<lmj0qz2vr0aa.ni2thvjyxqex$>...
    > Folks, the information at this site:
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
    >
    > indicates that (see the following) Thunderbird has support
    > for http email accounts, like Hotmail, etc. But when I try
    > to set up such account it does not provide me with any way
    > for entering an http server. Does it or does it not support
    > http email accounts? Thanks.
    >
    > ps- the information at the above site says:
    >
    > "Packed with Features
    > Thunderbird gives you IMAP/POP support, support for HTML
    > mail, labels, quick search, ... "

    That's just it -- it says "HTML", not HTTP. Outlook Express and
    recent versions of Outlook support POP, HTTP, and IMAP protocols.
    Thunderbird apparenlty only supports two out of three -- according to
    what you just posted.

    Whereas, "HTML" e-mail means formatted e-mail -- has nothing to so
    with the protocol. It means you can decide what you want your mail to
    look like. You can bold, underline, change fonts, change font
    colors... The opposite of HTML mail is "plain text". I send out a
    church e-mail newsletter and I need HTML mail to communicate
    effectively for headlines, bullet points, logos. Plain text is like
    sending a telegram.

    If you want to be able to send and receive your (HTTP) Hotmail mail
    through a mail program on your computer, use Outlook Express or a
    recent version of Outlook. I use Firefox for my browsing, and Outlook
    2003 for my e-mail.

    Chazz Matt, Jul 15, 2004
  8. Maleki

    Chazz Matt, Jul 15, 2004
  9. Maleki

    Chazz Matt, Jul 15, 2004
  10. Maleki

    Chazz Matt, Jul 15, 2004
  11. Maleki

    Moz Champion Guest

    Chazz Matt wrote:

    > Maleki <> wrote in message news:<ul12iilltqs5> >
    >

    >>>Hotmail is not HTML mail, it is WEB BASED email, a totally different prospect. It takes a browser to be able to connect to HotMail or any other Web based email, and Thunderbird isnt a browser.

    > NO, it doesn't take a browser to connect to Hotmail. Both Outlook
    > Express and recent version of Outlook support Hotmail. They support
    > POP, HTTP, and IMAP. This is what the person thought -- that
    > Thunderbird could work as well as either of those two Microsoft
    > products. You are saying it can't.

    The key here is that Thunderbird doesnt support HTTP email, it does
    support HTML email.

    Microsoft built Hotmail support into its products, because it owns
    Hotmail. Just like you use Netscape to be able to interact with
    Netscape Web Mail (which again is HTTP), which O & OE cant do btw.

    A program exists, Hotpopper that can enable other programs (non
    Microsoft) to communicate with Hotmail.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jul 15, 2004
  12. Maleki

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 7/15/2004 03:40 AM, Moz Champion wrote:
    > Chazz Matt wrote:

    >> NO, it doesn't take a browser to connect to Hotmail. Both Outlook
    >> Express and recent version of Outlook support Hotmail. They support
    >> POP, HTTP, and IMAP. This is what the person thought -- that
    >> Thunderbird could work as well as either of those two Microsoft
    >> products. You are saying it can't.

    > The key here is that Thunderbird doesnt support HTTP email, it does
    > support HTML email.
    >
    > Microsoft built Hotmail support into its products, because it owns
    > Hotmail. Just like you use Netscape to be able to interact with
    > Netscape Web Mail (which again is HTTP), which O & OE cant do btw.
    >
    > A program exists, Hotpopper that can enable other programs (non
    > Microsoft) to communicate with Hotmail.

    Outlook & OE are the only email clients (I know of) that support HTTP.
    I'm sure there are others out there though.

    .BRIAN., Jul 15, 2004
  13. Maleki

    Moz Champion Guest

    ..BRIAN. wrote:

    > On 7/15/2004 03:40 AM, Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Chazz Matt wrote:

    >>> NO, it doesn't take a browser to connect to Hotmail. Both Outlook
    >>> Express and recent version of Outlook support Hotmail. They support
    >>> POP, HTTP, and IMAP. This is what the person thought -- that
    >>> Thunderbird could work as well as either of those two Microsoft
    >>> products. You are saying it can't.

    >> The key here is that Thunderbird doesnt support HTTP email, it does
    >> support HTML email.
    >>
    >> Microsoft built Hotmail support into its products, because it owns
    >> Hotmail. Just like you use Netscape to be able to interact with
    >> Netscape Web Mail (which again is HTTP), which O & OE cant do btw.
    >>
    >> A program exists, Hotpopper that can enable other programs (non
    >> Microsoft) to communicate with Hotmail.
    >>

    > Outlook & OE are the only email clients (I know of) that support HTTP.
    > I'm sure there are others out there though.

    Do they support HTTP, or simply Hotmail?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jul 15, 2004