Does thunderbird cause disk space to go low?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by mariav, Nov 3, 2006.

  1. mariav

    mariav Guest

    Does Thunderbird cause your disk space to go low? Are the emails you
    goet from Thunderbird stored on your computer?
    mariav, Nov 3, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On 11/03/2006 02:57 PM, mariav wrote:
    > Does Thunderbird cause your disk space to go low? Are the emails you
    > goet from Thunderbird stored on your computer?
    >


    In the case of IMAP accounts, the e-mails are not stored on the
    computer. In the case of POP3 accounts, the e-mails are stored on the
    computer, so a POP3 account will cause disk space to go down, but
    that'll only happen if you don't delete the messages that came through
    POP3 regularly.



    --
    Mumia W. (reading news), Nov 3, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. mariav

    mariav Guest

    Ahh thanks well I dont delete the messages because I need to save them,
    I use Gmail POP3 is there a way I can get Gmail with IMAP?

    Mumia W. (reading news) wrote:
    > On 11/03/2006 02:57 PM, mariav wrote:
    > > Does Thunderbird cause your disk space to go low? Are the emails you
    > > goet from Thunderbird stored on your computer?
    > >

    >
    > In the case of IMAP accounts, the e-mails are not stored on the
    > computer. In the case of POP3 accounts, the e-mails are stored on the
    > computer, so a POP3 account will cause disk space to go down, but
    > that'll only happen if you don't delete the messages that came through
    > POP3 regularly.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    mariav, Nov 3, 2006
    #3
  4. mariav

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Mumia W. (reading news) wrote:
    > On 11/03/2006 02:57 PM, mariav wrote:
    >> Does Thunderbird cause your disk space to go low? Are the emails you
    >> goet from Thunderbird stored on your computer?
    >>

    >
    > In the case of IMAP accounts, the e-mails are not stored on the
    > computer. In the case of POP3 accounts, the e-mails are stored on the
    > computer, so a POP3 account will cause disk space to go down, but
    > that'll only happen if you don't delete the messages that came through
    > POP3 regularly.


    And make sure you periodically compact your folders: File - Compact
    folders.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    In the 60's, people took acid to make the world appear weird. Now the
    world is weird and people take Prozac to make it appear normal.
    Ed Mullen, Nov 4, 2006
    #4
  5. mariav

    Miller Guest

    *Mumia W. (reading news)* wrote on 03.11.06 23:42:
    > On 11/03/2006 02:57 PM, mariav wrote:
    >> Does Thunderbird cause your disk space to go low? Are the emails you
    >> goet from Thunderbird stored on your computer?
    >>

    >
    > In the case of IMAP accounts, the e-mails are not stored on the
    > computer.


    As long as you don't download them for offline use.

    cu, Miller
    Miller, Nov 4, 2006
    #5
  6. mariav wrote:
    > Ahh thanks well I dont delete the messages because I need to save them,
    > I use Gmail POP3 is there a way I can get Gmail with IMAP?
    >
    > Mumia W. (reading news) wrote:
    >> On 11/03/2006 02:57 PM, mariav wrote:
    >>> Does Thunderbird cause your disk space to go low? Are the emails you
    >>> goet from Thunderbird stored on your computer?
    >>>

    >> In the case of IMAP accounts, the e-mails are not stored on the
    >> computer. In the case of POP3 accounts, the e-mails are stored on the
    >> computer, so a POP3 account will cause disk space to go down, but
    >> that'll only happen if you don't delete the messages that came through
    >> POP3 regularly.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >


    Not at this time, according to the Gmail site. Too bad, Gmail would be a
    natural for Imap/

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 4, 2006
    #6
  7. mariav

    Snooky Guest

    > As long as you don't download them for offline use.

    No one has said the obvious thing yet - unless you have tens of thousands of emails or attachments you're hardly going to take up any space on your hard drive.

    So for the original posters hard drive to "go low" - unless you're using a system with hardly any space left on it, this isn't really an issue.
    Snooky, Nov 4, 2006
    #7
  8. mariav

    mariav Guest

    How do I compact folders? Does Gmail have IMAP?

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Mumia W. (reading news) wrote:
    > > On 11/03/2006 02:57 PM, mariav wrote:
    > >> Does Thunderbird cause your disk space to go low? Are the emails you
    > >> goet from Thunderbird stored on your computer?
    > >>

    > >
    > > In the case of IMAP accounts, the e-mails are not stored on the
    > > computer. In the case of POP3 accounts, the e-mails are stored on the
    > > computer, so a POP3 account will cause disk space to go down, but
    > > that'll only happen if you don't delete the messages that came through
    > > POP3 regularly.

    >
    > And make sure you periodically compact your folders: File - Compact
    > folders.
    >
    > --
    > Ed Mullen
    > http://edmullen.net
    > http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    > http://abington.edmullen.net
    > In the 60's, people took acid to make the world appear weird. Now the
    > world is weird and people take Prozac to make it appear normal.
    mariav, Nov 4, 2006
    #8
  9. mariav

    mariav Guest

    On Nov 4, 12:10 am, Snooky <> wrote:
    > > As long as you don't download them for offline use.No one has said the obvious thing yet - unless you have tens of thousands of emails or attachments you're hardly going to take up any space on your hard drive.

    >
    > So for the original posters hard drive to "go low" - unless you're using a system with hardly any space left on it, this isn't really an issue.


    Well my system had 4.64 GB about 3 days ago, and then it went down to
    266MB yesterday and now it is 1.87GB! so I dont know if thats because
    of tthunderbird or what.
    Is there a way I can view the Gmail mail in thunderbird without
    downloading it?
    mariav, Nov 4, 2006
    #9
  10. mariav

    Charani Guest

    On 3 Nov 2006 12:57:28 -0800, mariav wrote:

    > Does Thunderbird cause your disk space to go low? Are the emails you
    > goet from Thunderbird stored on your computer?


    Unlikely to be emails unless you have vast numbers of really huge
    attachments. I regularly get mails with 2 or more .jpgs attached and
    I don't have any probs with low disk space, yet they are stored on my
    PC as well as a copy being kept in its own subject folder.

    What's more likely to be causing your problems is that memory isn't
    being released and/or you've got too much stored on the drive. Try
    moving some of the programs/utilities/documents etc to a different
    partition.

    I don't keep MyDocs on the C drive. It's on a partition with a
    shortcut on the C drive.
    Charani, Nov 4, 2006
    #10
  11. mariav

    Miller Guest

    *mariav* wrote on 04.11.06 10:10:

    > Well my system had 4.64 GB about 3 days ago, and then it went down to
    > 266MB yesterday and now it is 1.87GB! so I dont know if thats because
    > of tthunderbird or what.


    You should check what's /really/ taking up the space on your harddrive.
    Just guessing that i could be Thunderbird isn't leading to any good result.

    Also you should be sure that your system isn't infected by malware.

    > Is there a way I can view the Gmail mail in thunderbird without
    > downloading it?


    AFAIK not.

    cu, Miller
    Miller, Nov 4, 2006
    #11
  12. mariav

    Ed Mullen Guest

    mariav wrote:
    > How do I compact folders? Does Gmail have IMAP?
    >
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Mumia W. (reading news) wrote:
    >>> On 11/03/2006 02:57 PM, mariav wrote:
    >>>> Does Thunderbird cause your disk space to go low? Are the emails you
    >>>> goet from Thunderbird stored on your computer?
    >>>>
    >>> In the case of IMAP accounts, the e-mails are not stored on the
    >>> computer. In the case of POP3 accounts, the e-mails are stored on the
    >>> computer, so a POP3 account will cause disk space to go down, but
    >>> that'll only happen if you don't delete the messages that came through
    >>> POP3 regularly.

    >> And make sure you periodically compact your folders: File - Compact
    >> folders.
    >>


    Read again my message above: File - Compact folders.

    And, no, Lee already answered: Gmail is not IMAP.
    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    Animal testing is a bad idea - they get nervous and give the wrong answers.
    Ed Mullen, Nov 4, 2006
    #12
  13. mariav

    Ed Mullen Guest

    mariav wrote:
    >
    > On Nov 4, 12:10 am, Snooky <> wrote:
    >>> As long as you don't download them for offline use.No one has said the obvious thing yet - unless you have tens of thousands of emails or attachments you're hardly going to take up any space on your hard drive.

    >> So for the original posters hard drive to "go low" - unless you're using a system with hardly any space left on it, this isn't really an issue.

    >
    > Well my system had 4.64 GB about 3 days ago, and then it went down to
    > 266MB yesterday and now it is 1.87GB! so I dont know if thats because
    > of tthunderbird or what.
    > Is there a way I can view the Gmail mail in thunderbird without
    > downloading it?
    >


    If it is Thunderbird (and that still is not determined), some factors
    that will affect the size of your profile:

    - free space available on the drive (if your profile is on your Windows
    system drive, usually C:, be aware that Windows itself will cause free
    space to vary dramatically as you use the computer)
    - saving old messages in the active profile can take up a lot of space
    - saving messages with large attachments takes up a lot of space
    - how your compact folders option is set (see Tools - Options - Advanced
    button - Offline & Disk Space tab and set a lower KB number and check
    the box under Disk Space)
    - emptying the trash folder (Tools - Account Settings - Server settings
    [under each mail account] - Empty Trash on Exit)

    If you have years of messages saved in your active profile, consider
    moving them to an archive account. See:

    http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_archive.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    Ed Mullen, Nov 4, 2006
    #13
  14. mariav

    mariav Guest

    Well I was not guessing it was Thunderbird I was asking it does make
    some sense.
    But on my add/remove programs the JS2E Runtime Enviorment 5.0 Update 8
    is at the top with 119MB.
    Other than that I do not know what you mean and how I would go about
    finding that.
    Well I ran all the programs I use for anti virus and nothing. I also
    got rid of avast and got AVG, avast was taking up way too much space.
    Is there another way I can check like whart programs or files that are
    not suppose to be there?

    On Nov 4, 8:24 am, Miller <> wrote:
    > *mariav* wrote on 04.11.06 10:10:
    >
    > > Well my system had 4.64 GB about 3 days ago, and then it went down to
    > > 266MB yesterday and now it is 1.87GB! so I dont know if thats because
    > > of tthunderbird or what.You should check what's /really/ taking up the space on your harddrive.

    > Just guessing that i could be Thunderbird isn't leading to any good result.
    >
    > Also you should be sure that your system isn't infected by malware.
    >
    > > Is there a way I can view the Gmail mail in thunderbird without
    > > downloading it?AFAIK not.

    >
    > cu, Miller
    mariav, Nov 4, 2006
    #14
  15. On 2006-11-04, mariav <> wrote:

    > On Nov 4, 12:10 am, Snooky <> wrote:
    >> > As long as you don't download them for offline use.No one has said the obvious thing yet - unless you have tens of thousands of emails or attachments you're hardly going to take up any space on your hard drive.

    >>
    >> So for the original posters hard drive to "go low" - unless you're using a system with hardly any space left on it, this isn't really an issue.

    >
    > Well my system had 4.64 GB about 3 days ago, and then it went down to
    > 266MB yesterday and now it is 1.87GB! so I dont know if thats because
    > of tthunderbird or what.


    Fire up Windows Explorer and use it to find where the space hogs are. In
    many cases it'll be the "Temporary Internet Files" used by Internet
    Explorer. Other, less benign, causes would be malware accummulation or
    the possibility that your system has been hijacked to deliver spam.

    > Is there a way I can view the Gmail mail in thunderbird without
    > downloading it?


    IIRC, when you first connect using POP3 only the headers are downloaded.
    The body doesn't come until you click on the header.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Nov 4, 2006
    #15
  16. On 2006-11-03, mariav <> wrote:

    > Does Thunderbird cause your disk space to go low? Are the emails you
    > goet from Thunderbird stored on your computer?


    Local storage of emails is configurable. If you use IMAP to connect to
    your mail server, your folders and emails reside on the server by
    default.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Nov 4, 2006
    #16
  17. mariav

    Ed Mullen Guest

    John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2006-11-04, mariav <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Nov 4, 12:10 am, Snooky <> wrote:
    >>>> As long as you don't download them for offline use.No one has said the obvious thing yet - unless you have tens of thousands of emails or attachments you're hardly going to take up any space on your hard drive.
    >>> So for the original posters hard drive to "go low" - unless you're using a system with hardly any space left on it, this isn't really an issue.

    >> Well my system had 4.64 GB about 3 days ago, and then it went down to
    >> 266MB yesterday and now it is 1.87GB! so I dont know if thats because
    >> of tthunderbird or what.

    >
    > Fire up Windows Explorer and use it to find where the space hogs are. In
    > many cases it'll be the "Temporary Internet Files" used by Internet
    > Explorer. Other, less benign, causes would be malware accummulation or
    > the possibility that your system has been hijacked to deliver spam.
    >
    >> Is there a way I can view the Gmail mail in thunderbird without
    >> downloading it?

    >
    > IIRC, when you first connect using POP3 only the headers are downloaded.
    > The body doesn't come until you click on the header.
    >


    I believe that's true of newsgroups. However, in the case of email the
    entire message body's are downloaded when the server is contacted.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?
    Ed Mullen, Nov 4, 2006
    #17
  18. mariav

    Snooky Guest

    >> IIRC, when you first connect using POP3 only the headers are
    >> downloaded. The body doesn't come until you click on the header.

    > I believe that's true of newsgroups. However, in the case of email the
    > entire message body's are downloaded when the server is contacted.


    Correct.
    Snooky, Nov 5, 2006
    #18
  19. mariav

    jw Guest

    mariav wrote:
    > Ahh thanks well I dont delete the messages because I need to save them,
    > I use Gmail POP3 is there a way I can get Gmail with IMAP?


    If you use Gmail, why not just archive your Gmail copy, and then delete
    your local copy when you're done with it. It *should* always be there
    in the Gmail archive if you ever need it. At least that's my MO nowadays.

    --
    jw
    jw, Nov 6, 2006
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Larry McAspurn

    Low Disk Space Warning

    Larry McAspurn, Nov 19, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    2,174
    LO&MsLO
    Nov 22, 2003
  2. dfederic

    Low disk space

    dfederic, Mar 20, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,384
  3. J-McC
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    571
  4. Wayne Kerr

    Low Disk Space XP

    Wayne Kerr, Dec 7, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    379
  5. DaveF

    How to turn off low disk space warning ?

    DaveF, Apr 25, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    685
    pcbutts1
    Apr 26, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page