Does this sound like a scam?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rupert, Nov 12, 2004.

  1. Rupert

    Rupert Guest

    My faithful digital camera is getting a little weary so needs some
    maintenance or at least I need to know if it's worth repairing, so I
    contacted Kodak and go this reply... Does it sound a bit dodgy? FYI I've
    changed the reference number...

    In any case, whats the likelihood of it being economic to repair? Sometimes
    when you turn on the camera it takes all black shots and nothing shows up on
    the LCD when using that as a view finder, though you can review pics etc.
    Turning it off and on a few times seems to help - sometimes so I'm guessing
    the CCD circutry is a bit flakey....

    -----------------

    Hello Rupert,

    Thank you for contacting Kodak Technical Support and Product Information.

    I will now update your profile in our database. However, for repair cases,
    we need your daytime address; we cannot deliver the repaired camera into
    your PO box address. We want to make sure that your camera will be brought
    back to you.

    This case is registered as a non-warranty repair and it is a necessity for
    you to pay an upfront of NZ$64.00. You can pay us thru credit card, cheque,
    or bank to bank.

    You may opt to pay us using your credit card, I suggest that you call our
    toll free number 0800-440-786 for security purposes.

    You may also opt to pay us thru cheque, we will be needing you to fill out
    the check with these information:
    Cheque made out to: Kodak NZ Ltd.
    Attention : Dianne Kamuhemu
    Kodak NZ Ltd.
    PO Box 2198, Auckland, NZ
    *Please right down the V number on the back of the cheque for reference.

    Another option is to pay us bank to bank. Here are the necessary information
    for this mode:
    Citibank N. A.
    Account number: 31-2840-0028259-00

    For any deposit notification, please send to Jimmy Ching
    Email:
    phone number: 64 09 3028616
    fax number: 64 09 3028639
    *Please put the V number on the forms for reference

    Once payment is received, we will send this case to Kodak Center in New
    Zealand and they will contact you regarding pick-up of your camera. It will
    be shipped to our Repair Center in Australia. It will undergo a 10-day
    assessment then we will be sending you the quote for the repair. If our
    technician finds out that the camera is uneconomical to repair, we will
    offer you a replacement camera for a discounted price.

    We will appreciate it if you could give us first your daytime address before
    arranging the payment for this repair.

    Please keep your Kodak Reference Number for reference - VXXXXXXX.

    For any other concerns, please feel free to e-mail us again thru :
    . Thanks again and have a nice day!

    Regards,
    Daniel
    Kodak Technical Support

    Rupert, Nov 12, 2004

  2. Rupert

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Rupert wrote:
    > My faithful digital camera is getting a little weary so needs some
    > maintenance or at least I need to know if it's worth repairing, so I
    > contacted Kodak and go this reply... Does it sound a bit dodgy? FYI I've
    > changed the reference number...

    Hey ! It sounds like Kodak and Orcon support use the same email
    templates i.e disregard the question and go on about something else.

    But seriously, I wouldn't be surprised that they want $64 up front.
    Finding the fault can often be the most expensive part of the repair
    process. From their POV they are safeguarding themselves against a lot
    of wasted time if they charge people to find the fault - if they didn't
    charge and it was going to cost half the cost of a new camera people
    might prefer not to have the camera repaired and the service center
    loses money over it.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 12, 2004