Does this sound like a good camera/camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jack Ruby, Jun 10, 2007.

  1. Jack Ruby

    Jack Ruby Guest

    (I don't know much about this stuff, but with the description
    provided, does this sound like a good camera/camcorder? The picture is
    here: http://www.hammacher.com/publish/z74123.asp

    The Shirtpocket Camcorder.

    This is the compact digital camcorder that is slightly larger than a
    deck of playing cards, yet its screen opens and pivots up to 270 to
    provide the same viewing screen used in larger, bulkier camcorders.
    The 5 megapixel camcorder can take video and pictures, and can capture
    up to two hours of 720 x 480 resolution video footage at 30 fps, and
    its 2 1/2" LTPS LCD color screen can display still images up to 4032 x
    3024 resolution using its built-in image enhancement firmware. Motion
    stabilization technology ensures image stability while shooting
    videos, and the camcorder has 8X digital zoom capability. It has 32 MB
    of built-in memory; an SD card slot supports up to 1 GB of additional
    memory (card not included). It has a USB port that allows you to
    download video or pictures to a computer. A rechargeable Li-Ion
    battery provides two hours of operation for high-resolution video
    capture; the battery requires four hours to fully recharge. Includes
    remote control. 4 3/4" H x 1" W x 2 1/2" D. (4 3/4 oz.)

    Item 74123 ................... $299.95
    Available for Immediate Shipment.
    Jack Ruby, Jun 10, 2007

  2. Jack Ruby

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Jack Ruby wrote:

    > (I don't know much about this stuff, but with the description
    > provided, does this sound like a good camera/camcorder? The picture is
    > here: http:/
    >
    > The Shirtpocket Camcorder.

    This is the second time someone has posted about this thing in the
    last couple of days. It seems to me like the thing is a toy, neither
    one thing nor the other and usually the manufacturer of such kit is
    one of those companies that churn out all sorts of cheap goods. I
    don't see any note of the maker of the camera, so it would be hard to
    find out just what people really think about it.

    Be aware that digital zoom is not the same as optical zoom. Here's a
    little page with an explanation of the two

    http://tinyurl.com/2a8d98

    --
    Paul (Please dont take a picture)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Jun 10, 2007

  3. Jack Ruby

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:11:17 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:

    > This is the second time someone has posted about this thing in the
    > last couple of days. It seems to me like the thing is a toy, neither
    > one thing nor the other and usually the manufacturer of such kit is
    > one of those companies that churn out all sorts of cheap goods. I
    > don't see any note of the maker of the camera, so it would be hard to
    > find out just what people really think about it.

    The actual page describing it is here :

    http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74123.asp?promo=new_items#

    The ad copy is riddled with either errors or questionable
    statements. It says that the thing is a 5mp camcorder, but its
    720x480 video resolution is closer to 0.5mp. The much higher
    resolution 1080i is only 2mp. It doesn't state the LCD screen's
    resolution, but assuming that it's one of the so-called high res.
    LCDs that claim 200k+ pixels (actually about 70k tricolor pixels),
    it's not very likely to be adequate to display the still images that
    are supposedly 4032x3024, or 12mp. I've yet to see a digital
    camcorder that has a second sensor used just for still images, and a
    0.5mp video sensor might be able to fake a high resolution 12mp
    still image, but it's going to be little better than an image
    created by a low res cell phone camera. The ad also says:

    > It has 32 MB of built-in memory; an SD card slot supports
    > up to 1 GB of additional memory (card not included).

    Not 2GB, let alone the higher capacities that SDHC cards allow?
    There's no indication that video is stored on anything but the SD
    card, and if so, that must be some amazingly high compression that
    allows up to 2 hours of video per GB. Or maybe that's just the
    battery life, and you need to replace the 1GB SD cards every 15
    minutes.

    There's also no indication that the Li-Ion battery can be replaced
    by a fresh one when it runs down, which is pretty limiting, since
    although it claims to be able to record up to two hours per charge,
    it'll be out of service for the next four hours, which is how long
    it takes to recharge its battery. This videocam really does appear
    to be an overpriced toy. Once again, Jack Ruby gets shot down. :)
    ASAAR, Jun 10, 2007
  4. Jack Ruby

    Jack Ruby Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:47:48 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:11:17 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:
    >
    >> This is the second time someone has posted about this thing in the
    >> last couple of days. It seems to me like the thing is a toy, neither
    >> one thing nor the other and usually the manufacturer of such kit is
    >> one of those companies that churn out all sorts of cheap goods. I
    >> don't see any note of the maker of the camera, so it would be hard to
    >> find out just what people really think about it.

    > The actual page describing it is here :
    >
    > http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74123.asp?promo=new_items#
    >
    > The ad copy is riddled with either errors or questionable
    >statements. It says that the thing is a 5mp camcorder, but its
    >720x480 video resolution is closer to 0.5mp. The much higher
    >resolution 1080i is only 2mp. It doesn't state the LCD screen's
    >resolution, but assuming that it's one of the so-called high res.
    >LCDs that claim 200k+ pixels (actually about 70k tricolor pixels),
    >it's not very likely to be adequate to display the still images that
    >are supposedly 4032x3024, or 12mp. I've yet to see a digital
    >camcorder that has a second sensor used just for still images, and a
    >0.5mp video sensor might be able to fake a high resolution 12mp
    >still image, but it's going to be little better than an image
    >created by a low res cell phone camera. The ad also says:
    >
    >> It has 32 MB of built-in memory; an SD card slot supports
    >> up to 1 GB of additional memory (card not included).

    > Not 2GB, let alone the higher capacities that SDHC cards allow?
    >There's no indication that video is stored on anything but the SD
    >card, and if so, that must be some amazingly high compression that
    >allows up to 2 hours of video per GB. Or maybe that's just the
    >battery life, and you need to replace the 1GB SD cards every 15
    >minutes.
    >
    > There's also no indication that the Li-Ion battery can be replaced
    >by a fresh one when it runs down, which is pretty limiting, since
    >although it claims to be able to record up to two hours per charge,
    >it'll be out of service for the next four hours, which is how long
    >it takes to recharge its battery. This videocam really does appear
    >to be an overpriced toy. Once again, Jack Ruby gets shot down. :)

    I appreciate your candor. Could you possibly recommend something that
    would be small, about the same size and around $300 as I cannot afford
    much more at this point?

    Thanks,
    Jack
    Jack Ruby, Jun 10, 2007
  5. Jack Ruby

    Paul Heslop Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    This videocam really does appear
    > to be an overpriced toy. Once again, Jack Ruby gets shot down. :)

    :O) Pretty much the way I saw it, though i bow to your superior
    technical knowledge. For sheer tackiness I think I'd go for this one

    http://tinyurl.com/2c8bcv

    Paul Heslop, Jun 11, 2007
  6. Jack Ruby

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:02:28 -0400, Jack Ruby wrote:

    > I appreciate your candor. Could you possibly recommend something that
    > would be small, about the same size and around $300 as I cannot afford
    > much more at this point?

    There are others here far more knowledgeable about videocams, such
    as " (Dave Martindale)", Paul Rubin, David Chien and
    David Ruether, who posted this three days ago :

    > Copies of my 16,000+ photo-video-audio Usenet NG
    > posts from 1995 until the present are now up on my
    > website at -
    > -- www.donferrario.com/ruether/articles.html
    > in three sections, at -
    > -- www.donferrario.com/ruether/table_of_contents.html
    > (slow-loading with dial-up service)
    > -- www.donferrario.com/ruether/table-of-contents2.htm
    > -- www.donferrario.com/ruether/MORE-POSTS.htm
    > Additional posts will be added occasionally in the future
    > as they collect...;-)

    I also posted just the other day B&H's link to 24 videocams using
    flash RAM for storage, most of which sell for between $300 and $800.
    B&H is a good place to browse videocams because they sell *many*
    more models, and provide a lot of information about the in the
    "Features" and "Specifications" tabs. You can sort them by price,
    which would make it easy to evaluate the nearly 40 videocams that
    sell for $300 or less, while not being tempted by the even greater
    number of videocams and kits that range from $1000 to over $7000.
    :) Here are two of B&H's links :

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/3result...b=bs,upper(ds)&sq=asc&atl=~Format_SD/MMC Card

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ac=&fi=all&pn=1&ci=1871&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=

    If you have problems due to the length of these links, just go to
    bhphotovideo.com and navigate your way to the videocams.
    ASAAR, Jun 11, 2007
  7. Jack Ruby

    Paul Heslop Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:02:28 -0400, Jack Ruby wrote:
    >
    > > I appreciate your candor. Could you possibly recommend something that
    > > would be small, about the same size and around $300 as I cannot afford
    > > much more at this point?

    > There are others here far more knowledgeable about videocams, such
    > as " (Dave Martindale)", Paul Rubin, David Chien and
    > David Ruether, who posted this three days ago :

    How come you can see Jack's reply but I can't?

    Paul Heslop, Jun 11, 2007
  8. Jack Ruby

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 02:55:12 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:

    > :O) Pretty much the way I saw it, though i bow to your superior
    > technical knowledge. For sheer tackiness I think I'd go for this one
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2c8bcv

    I think I'd pass on that one even though it uses two AA batteries.
    At least that's my story for the newsgroup. If I saw one in
    Rite-Aid for that price though, I might not be able to resist the
    impulse purchase urge. :)
    ASAAR, Jun 11, 2007
  9. Jack Ruby

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 03:14:07 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:

    > How come you can see Jack's reply but I can't?

    Can't say for sure. There are some posters that I'm never able to
    download that don't seem to be a problem for others. Jack posts
    using supernews, but so do I, although indirectly, through APN.
    Have you enabled any newsgroup filtering? I've occasionally found
    old filters trapping more than what was originally intended.
    ASAAR, Jun 11, 2007
  10. Jack Ruby

    Paul Heslop Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 02:55:12 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:
    >
    > > :O) Pretty much the way I saw it, though i bow to your superior
    > > technical knowledge. For sheer tackiness I think I'd go for this one
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/2c8bcv

    > I think I'd pass on that one even though it uses two AA batteries.
    > At least that's my story for the newsgroup. If I saw one in
    > Rite-Aid for that price though, I might not be able to resist the
    > impulse purchase urge. :)

    :O))
    Paul Heslop, Jun 11, 2007
  11. Jack Ruby

    Paul Heslop Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 03:14:07 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:
    >
    > > How come you can see Jack's reply but I can't?

    > Can't say for sure. There are some posters that I'm never able to
    > download that don't seem to be a problem for others. Jack posts
    > using supernews, but so do I, although indirectly, through APN.
    > Have you enabled any newsgroup filtering? I've occasionally found
    > old filters trapping more than what was originally intended.

    Yeah, I've found that here and elsewhere, so many of the mass posting
    nutcases in my killfile that sometimes the genuine posts get trapped
    in there too. This time i think it could be the supernews thing
    though, but Jack's post is still not there.
    Paul Heslop, Jun 11, 2007
  12. Jack Ruby

    Mike Russell Guest

    "Jack Ruby" <> wrote in message
    > (I don't know much about this stuff, but with the description
    > provided, does this sound like a good camera/camcorder? The picture is
    > here: http://www.hammacher.com/publish/z74123.asp
    >
    > The Shirtpocket Camcorder.

    They were selling these at MacWorld SF, and they were certainly gathering a
    crowd of people. The atmosphere was a carnival barker situation, and they
    had plenty of cameras, which they would pass out freely to people in the
    crowd while they wowed everyone with the presentation. They were obviously
    counting on getting people to impulse buy them at about 300 bucks. I played
    with one for a few minutes. The camera itself did seem durable and well
    made, with a big screen and easy to use menus.

    The folks who call it a toy have a point. For that price or less you can
    get a good mainstream still camera that is smaller, like the Casio EX-Z40
    (about 50 USD on eBay) through the more current EX-Z70. These cameras, (and
    other models) will do good quality stills and will record video directly to
    compact flash, so video length is limited only by your flash card size.
    --
    Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com
    Mike Russell, Jun 13, 2007