    Do the same products exist that will connect to a dial-up account?

    Cheers,
    Chris
    Jo & Chris, Dec 10, 2005

  2. On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:44:53 +1300, Jo & Chris wrote:

    > Do the same products exist that will connect to a dial-up account?

    Yes. It's called a desktop PC with wireless networking.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 10, 2005

  3. Jo & Chris

    Shane Guest

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:44:53 +1300, Jo & Chris wrote:

    > You know how you can get a DSL modem/router/wireless basestation
    > allowing you to connect with a wireless laptop?
    >
    > Do the same products exist that will connect to a dial-up account?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris

    At a guess Id say no, dial up modem + pc + wireless access point
    is the way for you

    --
    It is a human characteristic to love little animals, especially if
    they're attractive in some way.
    Shane, Dec 10, 2005
  4. In <> Jo & Chris wrote:
    > You know how you can get a DSL modem/router/wireless basestation
    > allowing you to connect with a wireless laptop?
    >
    > Do the same products exist that will connect to a dial-up account?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris

    Apple's standard AirPort base station includes a V.90 modem. It can be
    used to provide dial-up Internet access for the network, or to dial in
    to the network from a remote location.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Dec 10, 2005
  5. Jo & Chris

    David Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <> Jo & Chris wrote:
    >
    >>You know how you can get a DSL modem/router/wireless basestation
    >>allowing you to connect with a wireless laptop?
    >>
    >>Do the same products exist that will connect to a dial-up account?
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>Chris

    > Apple's standard AirPort base station includes a V.90 modem. It can be
    > used to provide dial-up Internet access for the network, or to dial in
    > to the network from a remote location.

    Is it compatible with PCs (running windows or linux)?
    David, Dec 10, 2005
  6. In <m4xmf.7151$> David wrote:
    > Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >> In <> Jo & Chris wrote:
    >>
    >>>You know how you can get a DSL modem/router/wireless basestation
    >>>allowing you to connect with a wireless laptop?
    >>>
    >>>Do the same products exist that will connect to a dial-up account?
    >>>
    >>>Cheers,
    >>>Chris

    >> Apple's standard AirPort base station includes a V.90 modem. It can
    >> be used to provide dial-up Internet access for the network, or to
    >> dial in to the network from a remote location.

    > Is it compatible with PCs (running windows or linux)?

    The setup software requires Mac OS X or Windows 2000/XP, but since it
    uses standard 802.11g networking once it's set up it should work with
    anything.

    http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Dec 10, 2005
  7. Yes. It's the Wiflyer

    http://www.alwaysonwireless.com/wiflyer.html

    Mind you, AFAIK it's not telepermitted, so you shouldn't connect it to
    Telecom's network ;-)...

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Dec 10, 2005
  8. Jo & Chris

    El Penguino Guest

    On 10 Dec 2005 08:56:26 GMT, Roger Johnstone <>
    wrote:

    >Apple's standard AirPort base station includes a V.90 modem. It can be
    >used to provide dial-up Internet access for the network, or to dial in
    >to the network from a remote location.

    Thats exactly the jobbie.
    Alas it is $200, I assume that is USD.
    Ach ja...

    Cheers,
    Chris
    El Penguino, Dec 11, 2005
  9. Jo & Chris

    -=rjh=- Guest

    El Penguino wrote:
    > On 10 Dec 2005 08:56:26 GMT, Roger Johnstone <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Apple's standard AirPort base station includes a V.90 modem. It can be
    >>used to provide dial-up Internet access for the network, or to dial in
    >>to the network from a remote location.

    > Thats exactly the jobbie.
    > Alas it is $200, I assume that is USD.
    > Ach ja...

    Apple do sell in NZ, you know.

    http://www.apple.co.nz/hardware/airportextreme/

    $358.00
    -=rjh=-, Dec 11, 2005
  10. On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:04:13 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > In <m4xmf.7151$> David wrote:
    >> Roger Johnstone wrote:

    >>> Apple's standard AirPort base station includes a V.90 modem. It can
    >>> be used to provide dial-up Internet access for the network, or to
    >>> dial in to the network from a remote location.

    >> Is it compatible with PCs (running windows or linux)?

    > The setup software requires Mac OS X or Windows 2000/XP, but since it
    > uses standard 802.11g networking once it's set up it should work with
    > anything.

    IOW, it's not compatible with any system that does not use Micro$oft
    WindowsNT5.0 or WindowsNT5.1 or some version of MacOS X

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 28, 2005