Does the PSP beat the iPod Video..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XP, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. XP

    XP Guest

    XP, Oct 27, 2005

  2. XP

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    XP <> wrote:

    > But 12 hours do convert a DVD to play on the iPod is a utter joke..

    Why? Do you buy more han one DVD a day?

    It must have been a pretty old machine. The current high end Mac takes
    about an hour to encode a feature film.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Oct 28, 2005

  3. XP

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:34:36 +1300, Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > XP <> wrote:
    >
    >> But 12 hours do convert a DVD to play on the iPod is a utter joke..

    >Why? Do you buy more han one DVD a day?
    >
    >It must have been a pretty old machine. The current high end Mac takes
    >about an hour to encode a feature film.

    Have you done this with Quicktime 7....?

    So how come the PSP only took 3 Hours..?

    XP, Oct 28, 2005
  4. XP

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    XP <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:34:36 +1300, Bruce Hoult <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > XP <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> But 12 hours do convert a DVD to play on the iPod is a utter joke..

    > >Why? Do you buy more han one DVD a day?
    > >
    > >It must have been a pretty old machine. The current high end Mac takes
    > >about an hour to encode a feature film.

    > Have you done this with Quicktime 7....?

    I haven't done a full movie yet but I've reencoded the Serenity trailer,
    which is 2m19s of DVD quality (480x272) video. That took almost exactly
    5 min, or twice real time, but my machine is a 15 month old model (2
    GHz), and not top of the line even when it came out. The current models
    will certainly do it in less than real time.

    > So how come the PSP only took 3 Hours..?

    Poorer quality? That review certainly indicated the iPod version looked
    better. It takes a heck of a lot more CPU power to get that last little
    bit of perfection in the image.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Oct 28, 2005
  5. XP

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:04:31 +1300, Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > XP <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:34:36 +1300, Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    >> >Why? Do you buy more han one DVD a day?
    >> >
    >> >It must have been a pretty old machine. The current high end Mac takes
    >> >about an hour to encode a feature film.

    >> Have you done this with Quicktime 7....?

    >I haven't done a full movie yet but I've reencoded the Serenity trailer,
    >which is 2m19s of DVD quality (480x272) video. That took almost exactly
    >5 min, or twice real time, but my machine is a 15 month old model (2
    >GHz), and not top of the line even when it came out. The current models
    >will certainly do it in less than real time.
    >

    >> So how come the PSP only took 3 Hours..?

    >Poorer quality? That review certainly indicated the iPod version looked
    >better. It takes a heck of a lot more CPU power to get that last little
    >bit of perfection in the image.

    No due to the lack of AVC and Bigger Screen..

    The Same Res on a bigger screen will look not so good, that was fully
    explained in the article..

    XP, Oct 28, 2005
  6. XP

    David Guest

    David, Oct 28, 2005
  7. XP

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:35:05 +1300, David
    <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:
    >>

    >> http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/psp/psp-vs-ipod-video-video-comparison-001968.php#more
    >>

    >> PSPware is a MAC PSP Video converter and I don't know if it does the
    >> H.264/AVC for the PSP..
    >>

    >> http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/pspware
    >>

    >> But 12 hours do convert a DVD to play on the iPod is a utter joke..
    >>

    >Whats with the random double spacing and capitalisation? It's certainly
    >not nice to read.

    I totally disagree, I am using the Usenet standard, so wind your head in..

    XP, Oct 28, 2005
  8. XP

    Chris Hope Guest

    XP wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:35:05 +1300, David
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>XP wrote:

    http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/psp/psp-vs-ipod-video-video-comparison-001968.php#more

    >>> PSPware is a MAC PSP Video converter and I don't know if it
    >>> does the
    >>> H.264/AVC for the PSP..
    >>>

    >>> http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/pspware
    >>>

    >>> But 12 hours do convert a DVD to play on the iPod is a utter
    >>> joke..
    >>>

    >>Whats with the random double spacing and capitalisation? It's
    >>certainly not nice to read.

    > I totally disagree, I am using the Usenet standard, so wind your head
    > in..

    Are you saying the usenet standard says we should have random extra
    spaces and capitalisation? And double full stops when just one will do?

    Chris Hope, Oct 28, 2005
  9. XP

    Hanson Woo Guest

    Hanson Woo, Oct 29, 2005