Does the MCSE 2000 to MCSE 2003 also give you an MCSA in 2003?

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by ffoeg, Jun 24, 2006.

  1. ffoeg

    ffoeg Guest

    I have not done 70-218 but I noticed that the upgrade path from MCSE 2000 to
    MCSE 2003 requires the 70-292 which is the upgrade exam for MSCA from 2000 to
    2003. Does a MCSE candidate who does 70-292 therefore get MCSA on 2003 as
    well? If not can you do (if you so desired) 70-218 after the 70-292 and get
    MCSA at both levels?
     
    ffoeg, Jun 24, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ffoeg

    Garth H Guest

    MCSA is an MCSE that without the planning and deployment exams.


    --
    Garth H

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Macromedia Certified Developer
     
    Garth H, Jun 24, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. The title of exam 292 is "... for an MCSA certified on Windows 2000", so
    you're propably not allowed to take 292 if you don't already have achieved
    MCSA2000.
    As I understand it: You can use 292 as a upgrade path for MCSE to 2003 if
    you already have achieved MCSA2000, otherwise you nead to take 290+291 or
    first take 218 and then go for 292.

    "ffoeg" wrote:

    > I have not done 70-218 but I noticed that the upgrade path from MCSE 2000 to
    > MCSE 2003 requires the 70-292 which is the upgrade exam for MSCA from 2000 to
    > 2003. Does a MCSE candidate who does 70-292 therefore get MCSA on 2003 as
    > well? If not can you do (if you so desired) 70-218 after the 70-292 and get
    > MCSA at both levels?
     
    Henrik Johansson, Jun 25, 2006
    #3
  4. ffoeg

    ffoeg Guest

    from http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-292.asp
    "The Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) on Windows Server 2003
    upgrade exam is available only to candidates who are currently certified as
    MCSAs OR as MCSEs on Windows 2000"

    "Henrik Johansson" wrote:

    > The title of exam 292 is "... for an MCSA certified on Windows 2000", so
    > you're propably not allowed to take 292 if you don't already have achieved
    > MCSA2000.
    > As I understand it: You can use 292 as a upgrade path for MCSE to 2003 if
    > you already have achieved MCSA2000, otherwise you nead to take 290+291 or
    > first take 218 and then go for 292.
    >
    > "ffoeg" wrote:
    >
    > > I have not done 70-218 but I noticed that the upgrade path from MCSE 2000 to
    > > MCSE 2003 requires the 70-292 which is the upgrade exam for MSCA from 2000 to
    > > 2003. Does a MCSE candidate who does 70-292 therefore get MCSA on 2003 as
    > > well? If not can you do (if you so desired) 70-218 after the 70-292 and get
    > > MCSA at both levels?
     
    ffoeg, Jun 25, 2006
    #4
  5. Sorry, I missed that line.
    As it's available for you, it sounds like you'll get MCSA in the same run.
    As written in the #CREDIT-section of the prep-guide, it gives core credit
    toward MCSA2003.

    "ffoeg" wrote:

    > from http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-292.asp
    > "The Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) on Windows Server 2003
    > upgrade exam is available only to candidates who are currently certified as
    > MCSAs OR as MCSEs on Windows 2000"
    >
    > "Henrik Johansson" wrote:
    >
    > > The title of exam 292 is "... for an MCSA certified on Windows 2000", so
    > > you're propably not allowed to take 292 if you don't already have achieved
    > > MCSA2000.
    > > As I understand it: You can use 292 as a upgrade path for MCSE to 2003 if
    > > you already have achieved MCSA2000, otherwise you nead to take 290+291 or
    > > first take 218 and then go for 292.
    > >
    > > "ffoeg" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have not done 70-218 but I noticed that the upgrade path from MCSE 2000 to
    > > > MCSE 2003 requires the 70-292 which is the upgrade exam for MSCA from 2000 to
    > > > 2003. Does a MCSE candidate who does 70-292 therefore get MCSA on 2003 as
    > > > well? If not can you do (if you so desired) 70-218 after the 70-292 and get
    > > > MCSA at both levels?
     
    Henrik Johansson, Jun 27, 2006
    #5
  6. After my last post, I saw that
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/
    will give you the complete answer:
    * core client was passed as part of MCSE2000
    * core network (290+291) is substituted by 292
    * MCSE2000 is valid as elective


    "Henrik Johansson" wrote:

    > Sorry, I missed that line.
    > As it's available for you, it sounds like you'll get MCSA in the same run.
    > As written in the #CREDIT-section of the prep-guide, it gives core credit
    > toward MCSA2003.
    >
    > "ffoeg" wrote:
    >
    > > from http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-292.asp
    > > "The Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) on Windows Server 2003
    > > upgrade exam is available only to candidates who are currently certified as
    > > MCSAs OR as MCSEs on Windows 2000"
    > >
    > > "Henrik Johansson" wrote:
    > >
    > > > The title of exam 292 is "... for an MCSA certified on Windows 2000", so
    > > > you're propably not allowed to take 292 if you don't already have achieved
    > > > MCSA2000.
    > > > As I understand it: You can use 292 as a upgrade path for MCSE to 2003 if
    > > > you already have achieved MCSA2000, otherwise you nead to take 290+291 or
    > > > first take 218 and then go for 292.
    > > >
    > > > "ffoeg" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > I have not done 70-218 but I noticed that the upgrade path from MCSE 2000 to
    > > > > MCSE 2003 requires the 70-292 which is the upgrade exam for MSCA from 2000 to
    > > > > 2003. Does a MCSE candidate who does 70-292 therefore get MCSA on 2003 as
    > > > > well? If not can you do (if you so desired) 70-218 after the 70-292 and get
    > > > > MCSA at both levels?
     
    Henrik Johansson, Jun 27, 2006
    #6
  7. ffoeg

    ffoeg Guest

    Simple answer is yes refer FAQs
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/faq.asp

    Q. According to the upgrade requirements, if I am an MCSE on Windows 2000,
    I must pass the MCSA upgrade exam in addition to the MCSE upgrade exam. Why
    is the MCSA upgrade exam necessary?

    A. The Windows Server 2003 upgrade exam for MCSAs covers a direct subset of
    the job tasks that are included in typical MCSE skills. The skills tested by
    the MCSA upgrade exam are expected to be part of an MCSE's job tasks.



    Q. If I am an MCSE on Windows 2000 and upgrade to MCSE on Windows Server
    2003, will I automatically become certified as an MCSA on Windows Server
    2003?

    A. Yes. Exam 70-292: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server
    2003 Environment for an MCSA Certified on Windows 2000 is part of the
    upgrade path for an MCSE on Windows 2000. It includes objectives that
    validate the skills set of an MCSA on Windows Server 2003.

    Regards



    "ffoeg" wrote:

    > I have not done 70-218 but I noticed that the upgrade path from MCSE 2000 to
    > MCSE 2003 requires the 70-292 which is the upgrade exam for MSCA from 2000 to
    > 2003. Does a MCSE candidate who does 70-292 therefore get MCSA on 2003 as
    > well? If not can you do (if you so desired) 70-218 after the 70-292 and get
    > MCSA at both levels?
     
    ffoeg, Jun 29, 2006
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Nico
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    619
    Gio Sim
    Aug 25, 2003
  2. Kent A
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    762
  3. lib
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    521
  4. lib
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    707
  5. John Miller

    MCSA 2000 -> MCSA 2003 -?-> MCSE 2003

    John Miller, Jan 15, 2007, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    566
    John Miller
    Jan 15, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page