Does the Linksys WRE54G really work well?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by John Thomas Smith, Jan 3, 2007.

  1. Just moved into our new house and the main computer,
    and Qwest modem with wireless, is in an office on the
    first floor... but wife wants her laptop on the 2nd
    floor, with no direct line of sight

    Wireless connection at the laptop works, but signal
    strength is "low" according to the monitor, so I'm
    looking to buy a signal repeater

    Does the Linksys WRE54G really work well?

    TigerJohn aka
    John Thomas Smith
    Personal Page and CatInfo FAQ
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
    Wife Approved & Named RedHeadedGirlfriend
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/RedSeat.jpg

    Direct 2 U Pond Emporium
    Compare Our Pond Prices !!!
    Pumps/Filters/Liner/Accessories
    http://www.direct2usales.com

    John Thomas Smith, Jan 3, 2007

  2. Hi
    They work. Well is a relative term. Wireless is highly depending on the
    environment and each environment has it own best solution.
    This pages describe the common solution to Extent Wireless Network.
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 3, 2007

  3. John Thomas Smith

    Ted Guest

    To get away from wireless problems I switched to powerline ethernet. Been a
    couple of years now and not a hitch. Works just like a wired connection.
    Here's some at NewEgg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...owerline&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
    Ted

    Ted, Jan 3, 2007
  4. On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 00:08:29 -0500, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:
    >They work. Well is a relative term
    >Extending Distance - http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

    Hmm... the product description I read at Linksys did NOT mention
    (at least that I saw) the fact that while the signal strength is
    going to go up to outlying stations, the signal speed is going
    to be cut in half due to the two way communication needed

    Since the 2nd floor laptop DOES work in spite of the monitor's
    note about "low" signal strength, I think I will pass for now

    John

    John Thomas Smith, Jan 3, 2007
  5. On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 04:06:59 -0600, "Ted" <> wrote:
    >To get away from wireless problems I switched to powerline ethernet. Been a
    >couple of years now and not a hitch. Works just like a wired connection.
    >Here's some at NewEgg
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...owerline&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

    Now that I know that a wireless repeater cuts the speed in half, I
    will take a look at these and decide if I need one

    But... the laptop's wireless connection DOES work in spite of the
    monitor showing "low" signal strength... so for now (and considering
    the low rate of the wife actually using the laptop upstairs, at
    least right now while we are still settling into the new house) I
    may just keep the link you provided and not buy anything... and go
    looking for the best PAIR of adapters to go in the office and up at
    the desk on the 2nd floor only if she has connection problems

    Thanks for the input... John

    John Thomas Smith, Jan 3, 2007