Does the Canon 10D have a focus problem ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by n, Jun 19, 2004.

  1. n

    n Guest

    Does the canon d10 really have a focus problem or is it simply
    misunderstanding?

    I have this camera and though i am not a very experienced user i have
    been fighting with this issue.

    I have tried:

    a better quality lens
    a faster lens
    shooting in brighter light
    increasing depth of field
    faster shutter speeds
    tripod
    taking it for a check at the canon service center

    Aware that the above factors may have come into play i have tried to
    get sharper shots but i don't seem to be right there with the ultra
    sharp sort of shots i am looking for.

    Maybe its coz im not in a studio with everything nailed down and
    floodlights on but i don't know. Sometimes the shots really are super
    sharp but a lot of the time...

    Maybe its me?

    n, Jun 19, 2004

  2. n wrote:

    > Does the canon d10 really have a focus problem or is it simply
    > misunderstanding?

    If you'll take the time to read through the NG you'll find this topic
    well covered, depending, of course on the retention of your ISP or News
    provider.

    Otherwise, you are marching into yet another long tedious thread.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jun 19, 2004

  3. n

    Jimmy Smith Guest

    1. What did the Canon service center tell you?
    2. When are you getting the super sharp shots (outdoors?) and the
    questionable shots (indoors?)?
    3. To what are you comparing the 10D shots? To a point and shoot or an
    expectation or what?
    4. Can you describe exactly what it is you are dissatisfied with in your
    shots? Are they blurred? Soft?
    Dark? Washed out light features?

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Jun 19, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    Turn off all the focus points except one (most use just the middle
    one).

    Randall Ainsworth, Jun 19, 2004
  5. (n) wrote in

    > Does the canon d10 really have a focus problem or is it simply
    > misunderstanding?

    AS far as I understand, the D10 is a good camera. There
    were some discussions early regarding focus problems,
    but the problems seem to be gone, or at least the complaints.

    > I have this camera and though i am not a very experienced user i have
    > been fighting with this issue.
    >
    > I have tried:
    >
    > a better quality lens
    > a faster lens
    > shooting in brighter light
    > increasing depth of field
    > faster shutter speeds
    > tripod

    You must show us some of your unsharp pictures if you
    wnat our opinion on your camera IMHO. BTW - the increased
    DOF should lessen the focus problems dramatically if there
    are any.

    > taking it for a check at the canon service center

    OK - so ? .... ? what did they say?

    > Aware that the above factors may have come into play i have tried to
    > get sharper shots but i don't seem to be right there with the ultra
    > sharp sort of shots i am looking for.

    Maybe you are expecting too much? Maybe you are looking
    at the picturs at pixel level?

    > Maybe its coz im not in a studio with everything nailed down and
    > floodlights on but i don't know. Sometimes the shots really are super
    > sharp but a lot of the time...

    Sometimes they are sharp ... hmmm.

    You really have to show us.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jun 19, 2004
  6. n

    Tom Scales Guest

    Come on, folks. You know this is "George Preddy", don't you?

    Tom Scales, Jun 19, 2004
  7. n

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Sorry George - better luck next troll.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jun 19, 2004
  8. n

    n Guest

    "Jimmy Smith" <> wrote in message news:<eGYAc.532$>...
    > 1. What did the Canon service center tell you?
    > 2. When are you getting the super sharp shots (outdoors?) and the
    > questionable shots (indoors?)?
    > 3. To what are you comparing the 10D shots? To a point and shoot or an
    > expectation or what?
    > 4. Can you describe exactly what it is you are dissatisfied with in your
    > shots? Are they blurred? Soft?
    > Dark? Washed out light features?
    >
    > Jimmy

    I will look into the other discussions on this topic but in the
    meanwhile:

    1 They said the camera was ok. I specifically asked them whether it
    was one with the pre focusing (cant remember the proper term) problem
    that i heard about (where the focus is shifted a little forward,
    something like that...)

    2 The super sharp shots are easiest to see in daylight shots, but they
    have come from noon to dusk so...
    > > Maybe its me?

    3 I am comparing the sharpness of focus to the incredible sharp focus
    i saw of an eagle on the cover of national geographic once. It was
    like bionic! That pic was about 1 or 2 years ago. And to the sharpness
    i sometimes get with this camera. My subjects are usually people in
    motion so this must figure into things... But it can't be that bad can
    it?

    4 SOmetimes blurred, sometimes soft, sometimes they are kind of
    whiteish

    5 I have had the focus detector set onto the single point in the
    centre for some time now. It helped but recently somebody said i
    should maybe try them all on again, haha!

    6 I have the latest firmware in.

    7 cant post anything to the web, sorry.

    n, Jun 20, 2004
  9. n

    leo Guest

    > > 1. What did the Canon service center tell you?
    > > 2. When are you getting the super sharp shots (outdoors?) and the
    > > questionable shots (indoors?)?
    > > 3. To what are you comparing the 10D shots? To a point and shoot or an
    > > expectation or what?
    > > 4. Can you describe exactly what it is you are dissatisfied with in

    your
    > > shots? Are they blurred? Soft?
    > > Dark? Washed out light features?
    > >
    > > Jimmy

    > I will look into the other discussions on this topic but in the
    > meanwhile:
    >
    > 1 They said the camera was ok. I specifically asked them whether it
    > was one with the pre focusing (cant remember the proper term) problem
    > that i heard about (where the focus is shifted a little forward,
    > something like that...)
    >
    > 2 The super sharp shots are easiest to see in daylight shots, but they
    > have come from noon to dusk so...
    > > > Maybe its me?

    > 3 I am comparing the sharpness of focus to the incredible sharp focus
    > i saw of an eagle on the cover of national geographic once. It was
    > like bionic! That pic was about 1 or 2 years ago. And to the sharpness
    > i sometimes get with this camera. My subjects are usually people in
    > motion so this must figure into things... But it can't be that bad can
    > it?
    >
    > 4 SOmetimes blurred, sometimes soft, sometimes they are kind of
    > whiteish
    >
    > 5 I have had the focus detector set onto the single point in the
    > centre for some time now. It helped but recently somebody said i
    > should maybe try them all on again, haha!
    >
    > 6 I have the latest firmware in.
    >
    > 7 cant post anything to the web, sorry.

    Take a picture of a still object in daytime. Use ISO 100. If it's sharp, at
    pixel level, then find a good book and study photography 101.

    leo, Jun 20, 2004
  10. n

    Big Bill Guest

    On 19 Jun 2004 19:27:28 -0700, (n) wrote:

    >"Jimmy Smith" <> wrote in message news:<eGYAc.532$>...
    >> 1. What did the Canon service center tell you?
    >> 2. When are you getting the super sharp shots (outdoors?) and the
    >> questionable shots (indoors?)?
    >> 3. To what are you comparing the 10D shots? To a point and shoot or an
    >> expectation or what?
    >> 4. Can you describe exactly what it is you are dissatisfied with in your
    >> shots? Are they blurred? Soft?
    >> Dark? Washed out light features?
    >>
    >> Jimmy

    >I will look into the other discussions on this topic but in the
    >meanwhile:
    >
    >1 They said the camera was ok. I specifically asked them whether it
    >was one with the pre focusing (cant remember the proper term) problem
    >that i heard about (where the focus is shifted a little forward,
    >something like that...)
    >
    >2 The super sharp shots are easiest to see in daylight shots, but they
    >have come from noon to dusk so...
    >> > Maybe its me?

    Maybe.
    Operator accounts for far more problems than equipment failure. :-(

    Are you using a tripod?
    Try the self-timer, too.

    >3 I am comparing the sharpness of focus to the incredible sharp focus
    >i saw of an eagle on the cover of national geographic once. It was
    >like bionic! That pic was about 1 or 2 years ago. And to the sharpness
    >i sometimes get with this camera. My subjects are usually people in
    >motion so this must figure into things... But it can't be that bad can
    >it?

    I remember that shot. It was fantastic!
    I often wonder how many rolls of film it takes to get such a shot for
    NG. I do know it's a lot, and these are professional photographers.
    I don't feel at all bad that I can't repropduce them, given my
    experience level compared to them.

    >4 SOmetimes blurred, sometimes soft, sometimes they are kind of
    >whiteish

    All can be operator error.

    >5 I have had the focus detector set onto the single point in the
    >centre for some time now. It helped but recently somebody said i
    >should maybe try them all on again, haha!

    That *is* kinda funny.

    >6 I have the latest firmware in.
    >
    >7 cant post anything to the web, sorry.

    Why? Are you on some sort of probation that forbids you to get near a
    computer? No, you're posting here, so that can't be it. :)
    Do a Google search on "free photo hosting" (without the quotes) and
    you'll find a lot of places where you can post your pics for free. You
    can even find places to post *galleries* for free.
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 20, 2004
  11. n

    Jimmy Smith Guest

    > > 1. What did the Canon service center tell you?
    > > 2. When are you getting the super sharp shots (outdoors?) and the
    > > questionable shots (indoors?)?
    > > 3. To what are you comparing the 10D shots? To a point and shoot or an
    > > expectation or what?
    > > 4. Can you describe exactly what it is you are dissatisfied with in

    your
    > > shots? Are they blurred? Soft?
    > > Dark? Washed out light features?
    > >
    > > Jimmy

    > I will look into the other discussions on this topic but in the
    > meanwhile:
    >
    > 1 They said the camera was ok. I specifically asked them whether it
    > was one with the pre focusing (cant remember the proper term) problem
    > that i heard about (where the focus is shifted a little forward,
    > something like that...)
    >
    > 2 The super sharp shots are easiest to see in daylight shots, but they
    > have come from noon to dusk so...
    > > > Maybe its me?

    > 3 I am comparing the sharpness of focus to the incredible sharp focus
    > i saw of an eagle on the cover of national geographic once. It was
    > like bionic! That pic was about 1 or 2 years ago. And to the sharpness
    > i sometimes get with this camera. My subjects are usually people in
    > motion so this must figure into things... But it can't be that bad can
    > it?
    >
    > 4 SOmetimes blurred, sometimes soft, sometimes they are kind of
    > whiteish
    >
    > 5 I have had the focus detector set onto the single point in the
    > centre for some time now. It helped but recently somebody said i
    > should maybe try them all on again, haha!
    >
    > 6 I have the latest firmware in.
    >
    > 7 cant post anything to the web, sorry.

    The eagle shot in N Georgraphic was probably the best shot that particular
    photographer made out of 1000 during that year. Everything happened to
    bright and right. You are comparing your general shooting to his one out of
    a million and he is a pro and knows how do do it just right.

    If you bought a new set of golf clubs you would not be disappointed if you
    didn't shoot shots like Tiger Woods within a week or month, but with
    practice you would get better.

    Any camera could be defective, but statistically yours is probably fine.
    Especially since you had it checked out by the service center and they
    verified. Heh. They could be ignorant dopes but your camera is probably
    fine.

    Get a couple of books that really explain the art form and study them.
    Practice what you read and notice what is different about your good shots as
    opposed to your bad shots. I think everybody has some (or many?) shots they
    discard. Also, any trace of buyers remorse should fade within a couple of
    weeks and your shots will begin to look consistently better. But, really,
    get the books so you can begin to understand why your bad shots are bad.
    This 10D is a very flexible artistic device with much more latitude that a
    PnS. Once you master it you will appreciate it for what it is. Keep your
    PnS camera for Disney World though......... there is a place for it.

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Jun 20, 2004
  12. (n) writes:
    > Does the canon d10 really have a focus problem or is it simply
    > misunderstanding?

    It's clear that not all 10D's have a focus problem. For example,
    using the following test, mine is spot-on:

    http://www.photo.net/learn/focustest/

    I've had a number of colleagues complain about focus problems, but
    when I borrow their camera and do the above test, and take some shots
    myself, I find no problem, so I'm in the camp that much of the problem
    is due to user error, and possibly misunderstanding how the autofocus
    works (myself, I usually keep the autofocus set to the center spot
    only unless something particularly about the shooting demands
    something else)

    If you haven't done the above test, do it.

    --
    Richard W Kaszeta

    http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

    Richard Kaszeta, Jun 21, 2004