  1. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    Does 2950 switch have function DHCP relay ?

    Nicholas, Oct 23, 2003

  2. No,

    The 2950 series is a pure layer-2 switch and cannot be upgraded.
    DHCP Relay features require a router or layer-3 switch.

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, Oct 23, 2003

  3. In article <3f979e46$0$2738$>,
    Erik Tamminga <> wrote:
    :The 2950 series is a pure layer-2 switch and cannot be upgraded.

    Not so; the 2950 series with EI image are multi-layer. For example,
    port-based Access Control Parameters (ACP) are in layer 4 terms.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_data_sheet09186a00801a0c5b.html

    :DHCP Relay features require a router or layer-3 switch.

    I don't seem to find this feature indexed in the Feature Navigator.
    The closest I find is "DHCP Relay Agent Support for Unnumbered Interfaces".

    --
    100% of all human deaths occur within 100 miles of Earth.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Nicholas

    Dave Keith Guest

    Ya, but the 2950 is still an 802.1d bridge, or layer 2 switch. It is not a
    router or layer 3 switch. It does not support any routing protocols, and
    likewise does not support the IP HELPER ADDRESS, which is the feature that
    Cisco uses to impliment a BOOTP RELAY AGENT, which is the thing that does
    DHCP Relay. The 3550 is another story ...

    Dave

    Dave Keith, Oct 23, 2003
  5. In article <wuVlb.9226$f7.493486@localhost>,
    Dave Keith <> wrote:
    :Ya, but the 2950 is still an 802.1d bridge, or layer 2 switch. It is not a
    :router or layer 3 switch. It does not support any routing protocols, and
    :likewise does not support the IP HELPER ADDRESS, which is the feature that
    :Cisco uses to impliment a BOOTP RELAY AGENT, which is the thing that does
    :DHCP Relay. The 3550 is another story ...

    The 2950 supports igmp snooping. That is arguably making a switching
    decision based upon layer 5+ information [of another packet], which
    rather confuses matters. And the Access Control Parameters (ACP) need
    to examine Layer 4 information. I'd suggest that the 2950 is therefor a
    multi-layer switch with fairly restricted multilayer switching.

    12.1(19)EA1 supports dhcp snooping, by the way. It doesn't make
    any switching decisions based upon the snooping: I'm pointing
    out that the 2950 is actively examining DHCP packets.

    You are correct that the 2950 does not appear to make any routing
    decisions.
    --
    Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court at Camelot?!

    Walter Roberson, Oct 24, 2003
  6. Hi Walter,

    Again another discussion about Multi-layer switching vs Layer 2 switching :)

    See http://www.bcr.com/bcrmag/mlsreference.asp#whatis (not my document) for
    what I think is a proper discription of the term Multilayer switching.

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, Oct 24, 2003