    SSL-Website?

    Thanks
    Joe

    Joe, Oct 13, 2006

  2. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Joe schrieb:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am accessing Internet by using a WLAN-Router. The WLAN is secured
    > using WEP-encryption. I know it isn't secure but my Router doesn't
    > support WEP.

    Sorry for misspelling my router doesn't support WPA.
    My question is:

    Joe, Oct 13, 2006

  3. Joe

    Todd H. Guest

    Joe <> writes:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am accessing Internet by using a WLAN-Router. The WLAN is secured
    > using WEP-encryption. I know it isn't secure but my Router doesn't
    > support WPA. My question is:
    > If I access a SSL-encrypted website through my WEP-secured WLAN, is
    > anybody who hacks my WEP-Key able to see what I typed(viewed) into the
    > SSL-Website?

    You would be protected provided they don't Man in the middle your SSL
    session (which is easier than anyone wants to believe).

    Some things to know though:
    WEP can be cracked in minutes.
    New access points are cheap.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Oct 13, 2006
  4. Joe

    smerf Guest

    Upgrade your router. You'll be much safer.

    It's easier than trying to clean up after a WEP break-in.

    And, although there are many cheap routers out there, I've never been one
    that believes in buying outdated technology. Buy something you'll get lots
    of good use out of and not wish you had something better in 6 months.

    I just bought a Netgear Rangemax Next Wireless Router (up to 270Mbps
    throughput!) at Fry's for $119. I wish I'd seen it at NewEgg first - it's
    only $89 there -
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122163.

    Its easy to set up, and has a butt load of security features. Oh
    yeah......did I mention the 270 Mbps speed? And the range is awesome. I
    can go anywhere in our yard - even across the street to the neighbors house
    and still be surfing on my Netgear Rangemax.

    Good luck to ya!

    smerf, Oct 13, 2006
  5. Joe

    David Kelly Guest

    In article <jsUXg.10026$>,
    "smerf" <> wrote:

    > Upgrade your router. You'll be much safer.
    >
    > It's easier than trying to clean up after a WEP break-in.
    >
    > And, although there are many cheap routers out there, I've never been one
    > that believes in buying outdated technology. Buy something you'll get lots
    > of good use out of and not wish you had something better in 6 months.
    >
    > I just bought a Netgear Rangemax Next Wireless Router (up to 270Mbps
    > throughput!) at Fry's for $119. I wish I'd seen it at NewEgg first - it's
    > only $89 there -
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122163.

    A US Robotics USR5461 is often $15 or $20 after the rebate hassle from
    CompUSA. Supports WPA2. Uses a Linux core with source code available
    from USR if you care to play with it.

    Mine works pretty good with Macbook Pro laptop once I disabled the 2x
    speed "enhancement" at the AP.

    David Kelly, Oct 14, 2006
  6. Joe

    Warren Guest

    On 13 Oct 2006 10:53:00 -0500, (Todd H.) wrote:

    >Joe <> writes:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I am accessing Internet by using a WLAN-Router. The WLAN is secured
    >> using WEP-encryption. I know it isn't secure but my Router doesn't
    >> support WPA. My question is:
    >> If I access a SSL-encrypted website through my WEP-secured WLAN, is
    >> anybody who hacks my WEP-Key able to see what I typed(viewed) into the
    >> SSL-Website?

    >You would be protected provided they don't Man in the middle your SSL
    >session (which is easier than anyone wants to believe).
    >
    >Some things to know though:
    > WEP can be cracked in minutes.
    > New access points are cheap.

    Just to add to the fire - MINM SSL attacks are no safer over a wired
    connection.

    ....surf smart.

    Warren
    Warren