    I don't like the windows firewall and want another, and i still haven't
    found an antvirus program that works, but not eat a lot of ram (not good for
    gaming, if they do..)

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VwYUJlYXN0?=, Sep 12, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3VwYUJlYXN0?=

    John Barnes Guest

    AVG has a firewall A/V package

    John Barnes, Sep 12, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?U3VwYUJlYXN0?=

    Jane C Guest

    Avast 4.7 Home Edition is free for personal use and works extremely well on
    XP x64.
    Windows Firewall is ok. Avoid Zone Alarm until they actually get their act
    together for x64.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation :)

    Jane C, Sep 12, 2006
  4. I just installed the Beta Version of Pc cillin and it works fine.
    http://betadownload.trendmicro.com/pc_cillin/PCC14.56EN_VistaBeta2.exe

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBTYW5zb25l?=, Sep 13, 2006
  5. Re: Does someone know if there is a good, working antivirus and fi

    Woho, thank you :) Free stuff is what i need :) As i did pay my last money on
    this os hehe. And thank you, others, that did answer :)

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VwYUJlYXN0?=, Sep 13, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U3VwYUJlYXN0?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Does someone know if there is a good, working antivirus and fi

    AVG also has a free A/V, but doesn't include your Firewall either.

    John Barnes, Sep 13, 2006
  7. Re: Does someone know if there is a good, working antivirus and fi

    > AVG also has a free A/V, but doesn't include your Firewall either.

    AFAIK, AVG's free antivirus only works under Win32. Did that change?

    Homer J. Simpson, Sep 14, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?U3VwYUJlYXN0?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Does someone know if there is a good, working antivirus and fi

    I am using AVG Free in x64 and Vista86. In Vista, the updates get halted by
    UAC requiring the clicking on 4 panels (real pain) but it does update and
    work. Avast works fine on both systems, but on Vista I had to manually
    update it initially, but after the last program update it works as on x64
    with automatic updates and no UAC problems

    John Barnes, Sep 14, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?U3VwYUJlYXN0?=

    Zapper Guest

    Re: Does someone know if there is a good, working antivirus and fi

    Have you bugged the fact that you have to click on 4 tabs to get 1 action
    taken care of?
    I have turned off UAC after multiple suggestions/complaints/reports all got
    closed as "by design".

    It was a good idea...just a terrible implementation.

    Zapper, Sep 14, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?U3VwYUJlYXN0?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Does someone know if there is a good, working antivirus and fi

    I agree. The user should be able to determine that a process should always
    be allowed.

    John Barnes, Sep 14, 2006
  11. Re: Does someone know if there is a good, working antivirus and fi

    >I am using AVG Free in x64 and Vista86.

    That's interesting. I can't remember exactly what and where, but
    *something* failed with AVG when I tried to install it under x64, so I
    switched to Avast (the only free AV I know of that works under x64). If
    you're saying AVG works, I'll have to give it another shot--every once in a
    while Avast will report some bogus error and end up in a disabled state, or
    ask to reboot out of nowhere, etc. I'm not liking Avast.

    Homer J. Simpson, Sep 19, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?U3VwYUJlYXN0?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Does someone know if there is a good, working antivirus and fi

    You might consider setting the defaults to warn, instead of delete or
    isolate (or whatever their terms are). That way you can make the decision
    when you see the warning.
    I too had one bogus warning, but most were clearly labeled 'Potential'

    John Barnes, Sep 19, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?U3VwYUJlYXN0?=

    Guest

    Re: Does someone know if there is a good, working antivirus and fi

    I've had Avast working on my XP x64 box since I bought it
    back in earlie April this year.

    On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:12:26 -0400, "Homer J. Simpson"
    <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >>I am using AVG Free in x64 and Vista86.

    >That's interesting. I can't remember exactly what and where, but
    >*something* failed with AVG when I tried to install it under x64, so I
    >switched to Avast (the only free AV I know of that works under x64). If
    >you're saying AVG works, I'll have to give it another shot--every once in a
    >while Avast will report some bogus error and end up in a disabled state, or
    >ask to reboot out of nowhere, etc. I'm not liking Avast.

    , Sep 20, 2006