    the software affecting the outcome.

    Anyone know of anyone testing and reporting results?

    Thanks Ray

    Ray Hurst, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Ray Hurst

    Canopus Guest

    "Ray Hurst" <> wrote in message
    news:gWCtb.2714$...
    > I have read many magazines articles about printers, paper, & ink
    > affecting printout quality but have never even heard a suggestion about
    > the software affecting the outcome.
    >
    > Anyone know of anyone testing and reporting results?
    >
    > Thanks Ray

    What software are you talking about, the printer software or other
    applications? A printer is driven by software specific for it so you can
    only compare printers, paper and ink on the final print out quality as you
    cannot use a different driver for the same printer. If you are talking
    about software for enhancing pictures there has been many comparisons, but,
    in the end if you are using good quality applications such as Photoshop and
    Paint Shop Pro etc. then final quality is down to the expertise of the user.

    Rob

    Canopus, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Ray Hurst

    Ray Hurst Guest

    Good question. I meant with ink, printer, & paper all being equal, will
    camera software, Photoshop or paint Shop Pro produce the same
    results? It would seem to me that software is a another variable that
    isn't talked about.

    Ray

    Ray Hurst, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Ray Hurst

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ray Hurst wrote:
    > I have read many magazines articles about printers, paper, & ink
    > affecting printout quality but have never even heard a suggestion about
    > the software affecting the outcome.
    >
    > Anyone know of anyone testing and reporting results?
    >
    > Thanks Ray

    No, but many, if not all, inexpensive printers use the computer to
    handle much of the grunt work of preparing the picture for the printer.
    Printer drivers have become substantial programs, often offering
    processing options which would have been the printer's jobs some years
    ago. This helps to make the printers more useful, and to keep the cost
    down. It is also the reason some printers are better at producing a
    good image than others, even if they use the same hardware. I am not
    sure just how one would go about testing, and quantifying this type of
    processing.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 16, 2003
  5. Ray Hurst

    MikeWhy Guest

    "Ray Hurst" <> wrote in message
    > Good question. I meant with ink, printer, & paper all being equal, will
    > camera software, Photoshop or paint Shop Pro produce the same
    > results? It would seem to me that software is a another variable that
    > isn't talked about.

    There is a whole industry, it seems, built around writing about Photoshop.

    The difference is similar to picking up a roll of prints from
    Walmart/Costco/Fotomat, compared to working over your photos in the
    darkroom. Photoshop isn't very well suited to just printing the dime store
    variety stack-o-prints. OTOH, and without going into everything else it does
    well, it's difficult to imagine a better tool for adjusting exposure or
    correcting a color cast.

    Print quality is a very touchy subject around here. Grown men who should
    know better obsess endlessly and usually fruitlessly. Until the madness
    overtakes you, and perhaps it already has, just use whatever tools fall at
    hand. Cameras these days produce reasonably good pictures right out of the
    box, so long as you don't mess with the settings too much. Printers likewise
    print "standard" exposures quite reasonably. You needn't worry about special
    papers or inks until you're well started down this slippery slope.

    MikeWhy, Nov 16, 2003
  6. Often there is more than one driver available for a given printer. Most
    people are using the software provided by the manufacturer of the printer,
    others are using the more generic Windows provided software. In both cases
    there may be updated versions available.

    It is my understanding that most of the Windows provided software was
    provided by the printer manufacturer and may be almost the same, but may be
    lacking some special features.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 16, 2003
  7. Ray Hurst

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > Often there is more than one driver available for a given printer. Most
    > people are using the software provided by the manufacturer of the printer,
    > others are using the more generic Windows provided software. In both cases
    > there may be updated versions available.
    >
    > It is my understanding that most of the Windows provided software was
    > provided by the printer manufacturer and may be almost the same, but may be
    > lacking some special features.

    True, and an extra bit of advice for the new user. ALWAYS visit the
    manufacturer's website and check to see if there is a newer driver
    available for your printer. This can avoid much misery.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 16, 2003
  8. "Ray Hurst" <> wrote in message
    > Good question. I meant with ink, printer, & paper all being equal, will
    > camera software, Photoshop or paint Shop Pro produce the same
    > results? It would seem to me that software is a another variable that
    > isn't talked about.

    It most definitively is.

    Several companies specialize in RIPs or similar software that Raster Image
    Processes the incoming data and directly provides the printer's input. They
    can easily cost 4 figure numbers of $.

    The most affordable version I know of is Qimage
    (http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/). It only costs US$ 39.95, but don't let
    the price fool you. It produces stunning output, but also offers many
    features for economizing paper cost (you'll earn back the small investment
    very quickly). Highly recommended, especially if your image file is low on
    pixels for the intended image size. It uses, amongst others, a novel
    'Vector' interpolation algorithm and communicates with the printer driver
    which then gets optimized data fed from Qimage.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Nov 16, 2003
  9. Ray Hurst

    Canopus Guest

    "Ray Hurst" <> wrote in message
    > Good question. I meant with ink, printer, & paper all being equal, will
    > camera software, Photoshop or paint Shop Pro produce the same
    > results? It would seem to me that software is a another variable that
    > isn't talked about.
    >
    > Ray

    Well, gamma correction is gamma correction, adjusting red is adjusting red
    etc. in both. You evaluate what has to be done, put in the numbers or
    adjust the sliders until you are happy with the results. It is the eye and
    experience of the user that counts. One button enhancement is another
    thing. I find it hit and miss and different applications compute it
    differently.

    If you gave a picture that needed correction to someone who had equal
    experience on both applications and he was to correct it on both
    applications then print it with the same paper on the same printer I wonder
    how many people could say what print was corrected by what application?

    Rob

    Canopus, Nov 16, 2003