Does SoBig virus spoof e-mail systems? PLEASE help...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DemoDisk, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    Since Friday I have downloaded and carefully deleted FIVE HUNDRED TEN
    e-mails carrying the Sobig virus! I have AV software installed and running,
    and swept the whole computer 3 times already, but each e-mail session is
    like an attack of The Borg:

    "Retrieving 1 of 40"
    "Retrieving 1 of 122"
    "Retrieving 1 of 90"
    "Retrieving 1 of 78"

    In a few cases, the sender is an "E-Mail Subsystem" or "MAILER DAEMON," and
    tells me I tried to send a virus. Not true! I have not sent *any* mail
    since (longtime) and the OE address book is EMPTY.

    So, is this Sobig virus fibbing, or did my puter get infected somehow?

    Thanks for helping,
    JPM
    DemoDisk, Aug 26, 2003

  2. DemoDisk

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as DemoDisk continued:

    > Since Friday I have downloaded and carefully deleted FIVE HUNDRED TEN
    > e-mails carrying the Sobig virus! I have AV software installed and
    > running, and swept the whole computer 3 times already, but each
    > e-mail session is like an attack of The Borg:
    >
    > "Retrieving 1 of 40"
    > "Retrieving 1 of 122"
    > "Retrieving 1 of 90"
    > "Retrieving 1 of 78"
    >
    > In a few cases, the sender is an "E-Mail Subsystem" or "MAILER
    > DAEMON," and tells me I tried to send a virus. Not true! I have not
    > sent *any* mail since (longtime) and the OE address book is EMPTY.
    >
    > So, is this Sobig virus fibbing, or did my puter get infected somehow?
    >
    > Thanks for helping,
    > JPM

    Have you actually thought to search the hundreds of webpages on this subject
    first ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Aug 26, 2003

  3. DemoDisk

    SgtMinor Guest

    DemoDisk wrote:

    > Since Friday I have downloaded and carefully deleted FIVE HUNDRED TEN
    > e-mails carrying the Sobig virus! I have AV software installed and running,
    > and swept the whole computer 3 times already, but each e-mail session is
    > like an attack of The Borg:
    >
    > "Retrieving 1 of 40"
    > "Retrieving 1 of 122"
    > "Retrieving 1 of 90"
    > "Retrieving 1 of 78"
    >
    > In a few cases, the sender is an "E-Mail Subsystem" or "MAILER DAEMON," and
    > tells me I tried to send a virus. Not true! I have not sent *any* mail
    > since (longtime) and the OE address book is EMPTY.

    Spoof emails with your return address may have been sent by a virus or
    worm infected computer where your name and email address were stored.
    If people complain to you write back and ask them to compare the
    headers.

    SgtMinor, Aug 27, 2003
  4. DemoDisk

    Mr_Bill Guest

    Hello there:
    I would go to www.grisoft.com and download the thirty day trial
    version of their anti-virus software. Ive had real good luck with
    getting viruses and being able to clear them with their AVG anti virus
    software. Get the softwae and open it up and install it. Then run it
    a couple of times and see what you get. Ive had to run it 3 times as
    the viruses can be sticky and hard to get out.
    AVG rules

    Mr_Bill, Aug 27, 2003
  5. DemoDisk

    Boomer Guest

    Mr_Bill said:

    > Hello there:
    > I would go to www.grisoft.com and download the thirty day trial
    > version of their anti-virus software. Ive had real good luck with
    > getting viruses and being able to clear them with their AVG anti
    > virus software. Get the softwae and open it up and install it.
    > Then run it a couple of times and see what you get. Ive had to
    > run it 3 times as the viruses can be sticky and hard to get out.
    > AVG
    > rules

    Why are you telling slumpy this????

    The OP was DemoDisk.
    Highlight the person's message you wish to reply to.
    Right click. Click on "Reply To Group".

    Boomer, Aug 27, 2003
  6. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    Thanks, all, for the help and URLs for more. My system's OK so far and the
    bug mail seems 2b tapering off.

    JPM
    DemoDisk, Aug 27, 2003
  7. slumpy wrote:
    > I threw back my head and roared with laughter as DemoDisk continued:
    >
    >> Since Friday I have downloaded and carefully deleted FIVE HUNDRED TEN
    >> e-mails carrying the Sobig virus! I have AV software installed and
    >> running, and swept the whole computer 3 times already, but each
    >> e-mail session is like an attack of The Borg:
    >>
    >> "Retrieving 1 of 40"
    >> "Retrieving 1 of 122"
    >> "Retrieving 1 of 90"
    >> "Retrieving 1 of 78"
    >>
    >> In a few cases, the sender is an "E-Mail Subsystem" or "MAILER
    >> DAEMON," and tells me I tried to send a virus. Not true! I have not
    >> sent *any* mail since (longtime) and the OE address book is EMPTY.
    >>
    >> So, is this Sobig virus fibbing, or did my puter get infected
    >> somehow?
    >>
    >> Thanks for helping,
    >> JPM

    > Have you actually thought to search the hundreds of webpages on this
    > subject first ?

    Slumpy? I say, Slumpy? Why the **** are you here in a helpdesk slamming
    someone for coming to a helpdesk looking for answers? This your personal
    fucking email forum, jerk? Computers are about speed and saving time---say
    it ain't so.... If needs require it, answers are often more quickly found
    here from some experienced and very smart individuals that Googling
    "hundreds of sites. I realize your reply was an inference that the OP was
    incapable of thinking and lazy. But your inference is not well received by
    this reader. So shut the **** up. And better yet, get your head out of
    your ass.

    :-(*)

    --
    longshotjohn 7

    http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/hot2trot

    because of those who look on and do nothing. --Albert Einstein
    longshotjohn7, Aug 27, 2003
  8. DemoDisk

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as SgtMinor continued:

    > DemoDisk wrote:
    >>
    >> Since Friday I have downloaded and carefully deleted FIVE HUNDRED TEN
    >> e-mails carrying the Sobig virus! I have AV software installed and
    >> running, and swept the whole computer 3 times already, but each
    >> e-mail session is like an attack of The Borg:
    >>
    >> "Retrieving 1 of 40"
    >> "Retrieving 1 of 122"
    >> "Retrieving 1 of 90"
    >> "Retrieving 1 of 78"
    >>
    >> In a few cases, the sender is an "E-Mail Subsystem" or "MAILER
    >> DAEMON," and tells me I tried to send a virus. Not true! I have not
    >> sent *any* mail since (longtime) and the OE address book is EMPTY.

    > Spoof emails with your return address may have been sent by a virus or
    > worm infected computer where your name and email address were stored.
    > If people complain to you write back and ask them to compare the
    > headers.

    I can imagine the "Headers? What's headerrs preciouss ?" replies ;-)
    Better to direct them to this thread :-D

    "The definitive answer!!"
    --
    slumpy
    no more