    advantages of USM or HSM is that you can always manually focus the
    lens regardless of AF function. This is certainly the case on all my
    USM lenses, even the cheap ones.

    panabiker, Jul 15, 2008

  2. "panabiker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The reason I ask is that I found my new Sigma HSM lens would not allow
    > manual focus unless the AF switch is off. I thought one of the
    > advantages of USM or HSM is that you can always manually focus the
    > lens regardless of AF function. This is certainly the case on all my
    > USM lenses, even the cheap ones.

    Hello.

    Sounds like a Sigma design thing. I had a Sigma macro where manual focus
    needed to move a switch and a focusing ring whereas on the Canon macro it
    was just one switch.

    Regards, Ian.

    Fred Anonymous, Jul 15, 2008

  3. panabiker

    Paul Furman Guest

    Re: |GG| Does Sigma HSM work the Same Way as USM

    panabiker wrote:
    > The reason I ask is that I found my new Sigma HSM lens would not allow
    > manual focus unless the AF switch is off. I thought one of the
    > advantages of USM or HSM is that you can always manually focus the
    > lens regardless of AF function. This is certainly the case on all my
    > USM lenses, even the cheap ones.

    My Sigma 12-24 doesn't have a manual focus switch.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jul 16, 2008
  4. panabiker

    Jeff R. Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > panabiker wrote:
    >> The reason I ask is that I found my new Sigma HSM lens would not
    >> allow manual focus unless the AF switch is off. I thought one of the
    >> advantages of USM or HSM is that you can always manually focus the
    >> lens regardless of AF function. This is certainly the case on all my
    >> USM lenses, even the cheap ones.

    > My Sigma 12-24 doesn't have a manual focus switch.

    FWIW, my Tokina 12-24 does, but it's flipped by sliding the focus ring
    forwards or backwards. Can be missed pretty easily.

    --
    Jeff R.

    Jeff R., Jul 17, 2008
  5. panabiker

    Guest

    Re: |GG| Does Sigma HSM work the Same Way as USM

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:46:15 +1000, in rec.photo.digital "Jeff R."
    <> wrote:

    >Paul Furman wrote:
    >> panabiker wrote:
    >>> The reason I ask is that I found my new Sigma HSM lens would not
    >>> allow manual focus unless the AF switch is off. I thought one of the
    >>> advantages of USM or HSM is that you can always manually focus the
    >>> lens regardless of AF function. This is certainly the case on all my
    >>> USM lenses, even the cheap ones.

    >> My Sigma 12-24 doesn't have a manual focus switch.

    >FWIW, my Tokina 12-24 does, but it's flipped by sliding the focus ring
    >forwards or backwards. Can be missed pretty easily.

    But the Tokina doesn't have it's own focus motor (USM/HSM/etc), it
    uses the cameras screw drive.

    , Jul 17, 2008
  6. panabiker

    Jeff R. Guest

    wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:46:15 +1000, in rec.photo.digital "Jeff R."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Paul Furman wrote:
    >>>
    >>> My Sigma 12-24 doesn't have a manual focus switch.

    >> FWIW, my Tokina 12-24 does, but it's flipped by sliding the focus
    >> ring forwards or backwards. Can be missed pretty easily.

    > But the Tokina doesn't have it's own focus motor (USM/HSM/etc), it
    > uses the cameras screw drive.

    Oh.
    Forgive my ignorance.
    'fraid I don't dwell on these mechanics.

    Carry on...

    --
    Jeff R.

    Jeff R., Jul 17, 2008
  7. Re: |GG| Does Sigma HSM work the Same Way as USM

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:46:15 +1000, in rec.photo.digital "Jeff R."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Paul Furman wrote:
    >>>
    >>> My Sigma 12-24 doesn't have a manual focus switch.

    >>FWIW, my Tokina 12-24 does, but it's flipped by sliding the focus ring
    >>forwards or backwards. Can be missed pretty easily.

    > But the Tokina doesn't have it's own focus motor (USM/HSM/etc), it
    > uses the cameras screw drive.

    The Tokina lenses for use with Cano bodies must have their own motors as
    there is no screw drive from Canon bodies to the lenses.

    Regards, Ian.

    Fred Anonymous, Jul 17, 2008