Does RIP advertise static route 0.0.0.0?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ciscopimpenator@gmail.com, Apr 23, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Does RIP advertise static route 0.0.0.0?
    According to the book I'm reading(the official Cisco Press book for
    ICND), if you create the static route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0, it will be
    advertised by RIP.

    I have read other places where this isn't true. What is the correct
    answer? I know for a fact you can advertise default routes with
    ip default-network command. These default routes will then be
    advertised as 0.0.0.0

    What happens when you issue the command

    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 next hop ip address

    Does this route get advertised by RIP?

    Muchas Gracias :)

    -Ciscopimpenator

    , Apr 23, 2007

  2. J.Cottingim Guest

    As with all networking questions, the answer is:
    - it depends.

    ....It depends on what version of IOS you are using. In older versions
    of IOS, the version of RIP used, automatically redistributed the
    default static router. With IOS version 12.0T and later, RIP does not
    advertise the default route if the route is not learned via RIP. It
    may be necessary to redistribute the route into RIP.

    Assuming you are using something newer than 12.0T, simply
    "redistribute static" under "router rip" and you should have it.

    -JC

    J.Cottingim, Apr 23, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Apr 22, 9:37 pm, "J.Cottingim" <> wrote:
    > As with all networking questions, the answer is:
    > - it depends.

    Truer words were never spoken.

    , Apr 23, 2007
  4. Merv Guest

    newer version of IOS also suppport the default-info originate command

    router rip
    network 10.0.0.0
    default-information originate

    Merv, Apr 23, 2007