    free spyware checker. Thinking that it periodically checks for updates,
    I allowed it. In the past month or so, Real Player attempts to access
    the internet daily. Why? Shall I just blow it away?
    rum430, Nov 9, 2005

  2. rum430

    Scraggy Guest

    Scraggy, Nov 9, 2005

  3. rum430

    Trax Guest

    "rum430" <> wrote:

    |>I downloaded Real Player years ago and haven't used it for a year or so.
    |>(Still puttering along on Windows 98) Not long ago, I added Zone Alarm
    |>free spyware checker. Thinking that it periodically checks for updates,
    |>I allowed it. In the past month or so, Real Player attempts to access
    |>the internet daily. Why? Shall I just blow it away?

    It phones home and reports what sites you've been viewing.

    --
    History's Worst Software Bugs
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/bugs/0,2924,69355,00.html
    Trax, Nov 9, 2005
  4. rum430

    Trax Guest

    Trax <> wrote:

    |>It phones home and reports what sites you've been viewing.

    Let me rephrase this, it reports what sites you've been to while using
    Real Player.

    Trax, Nov 9, 2005
  5. rum430

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:44:08 GMT, "rum430" <> wrote:

    >I downloaded Real Player years ago and haven't used it for a year or so.
    >(Still puttering along on Windows 98) Not long ago, I added Zone Alarm
    >free spyware checker. Thinking that it periodically checks for updates,
    >I allowed it. In the past month or so, Real Player attempts to access
    >the internet daily.

    Real Player is the biggest piece of spyware out there, and Real
    Networks are some of the biggest slimeballs on the planet.

    I remember a while back (before I became wise in the ways of the Jedi)
    installed Real Player. After having to uncheck 400 "Yes, I want spam"
    boxes, I gave them a tagged address. After that, the address got
    spammed so often, it wasn't funny. I now shudder of the fact that the
    software was probably sucking my bandwidth dry phoning home.

    >Why?

    To phone home.

    >Shall I just blow it away?

    Good idea. :)
    Evan Platt, Nov 9, 2005
  6. rum430

    PC Guest

    "rum430" <> wrote in message
    >I downloaded Real Player years ago and haven't used it for a year or so.
    > (Still puttering along on Windows 98) Not long ago, I added Zone Alarm
    > free spyware checker. Thinking that it periodically checks for updates,
    > I allowed it. In the past month or so, Real Player attempts to access
    > the internet daily. Why? Shall I just blow it away?

    First purpose of RP is to play media, the second is to report home i.e.
    spyware.

    Others say it is the otherway round, they may well be right.

    P.
    PC, Nov 10, 2005
  7. "Scraggy" <> drooled:

    >rum430 wrote:
    >> I downloaded Real Player years ago snip

    > Shall I just blow it away?
    >
    >Yes. Use Real Alternative
    >http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

    No Use JetAudio:
    www.jetaudio.com/

    --

    Stop Verisign DNS Abuse!:
    http://www.whois.sc/verisign-dns/

    The Boulder Pledge:
    "Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything offered to me
    as the result of an unsolicited e-mail message. Nor will I forward
    chain letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings to large
    numbers of others. This is my contribution to the survival of the
    online community."
    - as proposed by Roger Ebert
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=boulder pledge

    "It's amazing I won. I was running against
    peace, prosperity, and incumbency."
    - Dubya Bush, June 14 2001, unaware that live
    television cameras were still rolling.

    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia:
    a fear of long words...

    Profanisaurus (now):http://tinyurl.com/ajbwm
    http://www.limmy.com/playthings/xylophone/
    http://www.mediaboy.net/1010100-1100001-1111010/gahk/

    'the real TOMMY Tutalidge' wrote in message
    news:: - "The people that post in yenc have a
    pickle shoved up their arse."
    & '-= Hawk =-' replied in message
    news:nkhdcv4c8uga0jonl0jpcgr8mt3g6m49na@news-server: - "And the people
    (like you) who whine about yEnc eat those pickles."

    - Panama!"- Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    zar 2k5 - ULC Minister
    AND
    http://www.drcnet.org/ http://www.timecube.com/
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!1! on a lits...

    Infinity is where things happen that don't
    - Anonymous

    Der Weg ist das Ziel

    sic transit gloria mundi

    There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
    01 - Those who can count in binary.
    10 - Those who can't.

    etc.
    Arthur Pewtey, Nov 14, 2005