    I'm thinking that Photoshop Elements is a deduced feature version of
    Photoshop.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Brian

    dylan Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > If a person owns Photoshop then would he still need Photoshop elements
    > 3?
    > Can Photoshop elements 3 do things that Photoshop can't do?
    >
    > I'm thinking that Photoshop Elements is a deduced feature version of
    > Photoshop.
    >
    > Regards Brian

    worth a look...

    http://graphicssoft.about.com/b/a/170508.htm

    dylan, Aug 29, 2005

  3. Brian

    Jim Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > If a person owns Photoshop then would he still need Photoshop elements
    > 3?

    No
    > Can Photoshop elements 3 do things that Photoshop can't do?

    Almost. The last time I looked, Elements did not contain the curve tool.
    That is one feature that I use whenever it will do the job best.
    I have the impression from reading posts on this newgroup that Elements does
    not provide as many tools for gamut control, and I need to be able to
    specify profiles for the montor, the workspace, the scanner, and the
    printer.

    > I'm thinking that Photoshop Elements is a deduced feature version of
    > Photoshop.

    If you meant "reduced", the answer is yes. However, most of the left out
    features don't impact photographers much.

    > Regards Brian

    Jim

    Jim, Aug 29, 2005
  4. Brian

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >If a person owns Photoshop then would he still need Photoshop
    >elements 3?

    No, not if they know how to use Photoshop.

    >Can Photoshop elements 3 do things that Photoshop can't do?

    Some things are simplified in Elements so it's easier for a beginner to
    do them in a push-button fashion (kind of like the so-called "idiot
    modes" on Canon consumer dSLRs) and there's an image orgainizer that's
    OK but other than that ... here's a quote from the article I link to
    below ... "Photoshop Elements also offers some features that are not
    available in Photoshop such as the cookie cutter tool, Quick Fix mode,
    and the Photo Organizer."

    >I'm thinking that Photoshop Elements is a deduced feature version
    >of Photoshop.

    Change "deduced" to "reduced" and you've got it ... here's an article
    that lists many of the differences ...
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/f/elementscompare.htm ...
    Elements is fine for a beginner or intermediate level graphics program
    but if you are already using Photoshop there's little point in using
    Elements.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 29, 2005
  5. "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >If a person owns Photoshop then would he still need Photoshop
    >>elements 3?

    > No, not if they know how to use Photoshop.
    >
    >>Can Photoshop elements 3 do things that Photoshop can't do?

    > Some things are simplified in Elements so it's easier for a beginner to
    > do them in a push-button fashion (kind of like the so-called "idiot
    > modes" on Canon consumer dSLRs) and there's an image orgainizer that's
    > OK but other than that ... here's a quote from the article I link to
    > below ... "Photoshop Elements also offers some features that are not
    > available in Photoshop such as the cookie cutter tool, Quick Fix mode,
    > and the Photo Organizer."

    I also read the dock-able toolbar is something only Elements 3 has. What
    took them so long?

    I installed E3 but it's quite different than 2 so I have yet to figure it
    out - a lot of wizards and dumbed-downed things it seemed at first blush.
    But the RAW support has to be nice - I'm using CS but hope to try E3 soon.

    Dave R knows who, Aug 29, 2005
  6. Brian

    wavelength Guest

    One thing that CS2 has that I know Elements3 does not have is the High
    Dynamic Range tool.

    I've not used HDR, but I'd love to see the effects. Basically, you can
    take 7 shots exposed a stop apart and get a full properly exposed shot
    out of them. Highly useful for outdoors and landscapes. They have to be
    tripod shots of course.

    Saw a write up in Outdoor Photographer about, before and afters were
    awesome.

    Anyone have any shots to post or comments about HDR?

    wavelength, Aug 29, 2005