Does Olympus have their own capture software?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kzan1234@gmail.com, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi -

    I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture software to
    directly capture images from the camera to the PC through USB, without
    saving to the CF card (like Canon's software for the G6 and their
    SLRs).

    I know there's a third party company in Russia (Akond) that sells this
    software; but I would like to know if Olympus makes their own.

    I have called Olympus America but their phone support is terrible and
    no one is picking up.

    I am interested in the following models:

    C-7070
    C-7000
    C-770
    C-765
    C-8080
    C-60

    - Trevor

    , Jul 11, 2005

  2. Rudy Benner Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi -
    >
    > I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture software to
    > directly capture images from the camera to the PC through USB, without
    > saving to the CF card (like Canon's software for the G6 and their
    > SLRs).
    >
    > I know there's a third party company in Russia (Akond) that sells this
    > software; but I would like to know if Olympus makes their own.
    >
    > I have called Olympus America but their phone support is terrible and
    > no one is picking up.
    >
    > I am interested in the following models:
    >
    > C-7070
    > C-7000
    > C-770
    > C-765
    > C-8080
    > C-60
    >
    > - Trevor

    You do not need any software, the camera appears as another drive on your
    computer as soon as its plugged in.

    Rudy Benner, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Bert Hyman Guest

    (Rudy Benner) wrote in
    ><> wrote in message
    >> Hi -
    >>
    >> I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture
    >> software to directly capture images from the camera to the PC
    >> through USB, without saving to the CF card (like Canon's software
    >> for the G6 and their SLRs).

    > You do not need any software, the camera appears as another drive
    > on your computer as soon as its plugged in.

    I think you've misunderstood the question.

    Canon supplies a remote-capture utility that allows you to drive the
    camera remotely and have the image data downloaded directly to your
    PC without first storing it on the internal memory card.

    I believe that the OP wonders if Olympus can do the same.

    [Canon also supplies a free SDK so that you can develop your own
    software for their cameras; does Olympus or anybody else do the
    same?]

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

    Bert Hyman, Jul 11, 2005
  4. Rudy Benner Guest

    "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > (Rudy Benner) wrote in
    >><> wrote in message
    >>> Hi -
    >>>
    >>> I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture
    >>> software to directly capture images from the camera to the PC
    >>> through USB, without saving to the CF card (like Canon's software
    >>> for the G6 and their SLRs).

    >> You do not need any software, the camera appears as another drive
    >> on your computer as soon as its plugged in.

    > I think you've misunderstood the question.
    >
    > Canon supplies a remote-capture utility that allows you to drive the
    > camera remotely and have the image data downloaded directly to your
    > PC without first storing it on the internal memory card.
    >
    > I believe that the OP wonders if Olympus can do the same.
    >
    > [Canon also supplies a free SDK so that you can develop your own
    > software for their cameras; does Olympus or anybody else do the
    > same?]
    >
    > --
    > Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

    You are correct. This is what I found, it works with my C-7070.

    http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp

    Good luck and have fun.

    Rudy Benner, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Ken Weitzel Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi -
    >
    > I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture software to
    > directly capture images from the camera to the PC through USB, without
    > saving to the CF card (like Canon's software for the G6 and their
    > SLRs).
    >
    > I know there's a third party company in Russia (Akond) that sells this
    > software; but I would like to know if Olympus makes their own.
    >
    > I have called Olympus America but their phone support is terrible and
    > no one is picking up.
    >
    > I am interested in the following models:
    >
    > C-7070
    > C-7000
    > C-770
    > C-765
    > C-8080
    > C-60
    >
    > - Trevor

    Hi Trevor...

    I think this is what you're looking for...

    www.sabsik.com/Cam2Com/index.htm

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jul 11, 2005
  6. Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:Xns96907B99A2F8BVeebleFetzer@127.0.0.1 Bert Hyman
    <> wrote:

    > [Canon also supplies a free SDK so that you can develop your own
    > software for their cameras; does Olympus or anybody else do the
    > same?]

    I see that Olympus does have an SDK for their cameras, but they sell it
    for $40.

    http://developer.olympus.com/

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jul 12, 2005
  7. writes:

    > Hi -
    >
    > I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture software to
    > directly capture images from the camera to the PC through USB, without
    > saving to the CF card (like Canon's software for the G6 and their
    > SLRs).
    >
    > I know there's a third party company in Russia (Akond) that sells this
    > software; but I would like to know if Olympus makes their own.
    >
    > I have called Olympus America but their phone support is terrible and
    > no one is picking up.
    >
    > I am interested in the following models:
    >
    > C-7070
    > C-7000
    > C-770
    > C-765
    > C-8080
    > C-60

    If you are a programmer with Visual Studio, Olympus sells a developer's kit
    that contains libraries to control the camera:
    http://developer.olympus.com/cameras.html

    Pine Tree Software offers shareware that is linked with the above library:
    http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp

    There was another shareware program (cam2ctl) but I don't think I saved a link
    to it.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Jul 12, 2005
  8. A.P. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi -
    >
    > I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture software to
    > directly capture images from the camera to the PC through USB, without
    > saving to the CF card (like Canon's software for the G6 and their
    > SLRs).
    >
    > I know there's a third party company in Russia (Akond) that sells this
    > software; but I would like to know if Olympus makes their own.
    >
    > I have called Olympus America but their phone support is terrible and
    > no one is picking up.
    >
    > I am interested in the following models:
    >
    > C-7070
    > C-7000
    > C-770
    > C-765
    > C-8080
    > C-60
    >
    > - Trevor

    Olympus have made the software "Olympus Studio"
    ( Or was it "Olympus Master" )
    It will do what you ask.
    I'm not sure if that sw handles all Oly cams, or maby
    just the highend cams.

    AP

    A.P., Jul 12, 2005
  9. [Canon also supplies a free SDK so that you can develop your own
    > software for their cameras; does Olympus or anybody else do the
    > same?]

    Yes. Olympus also have an SDK. I have a copy. You have to register with
    them and tell them why you want it (ie. what sort of application you are
    developing) but if you are an amateur like me there's no charge - nor did
    they quibble. I filled in the form and the SDK arrived by return.

    I can confirm that the SDK gives you full control over all camera settings
    and the ability to fire the shutter. I believe that it always writes the
    image to the card. I had a quick skim through the docs and there doesn't
    seem to be any direct capture API. Mind you, you could always download the
    captured image and then instantly erase it.

    Also note that my observations are based on an SDK which is nearly two years
    old now. Things may be different with more recent models.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Jul 12, 2005
  10. >>I see that Olympus does have an SDK for their cameras, but they sell it
    >>for $40.

    My memory (which is very unreliable these days) was that it was free when I
    got it back in Oct 2003. Maybe there was a nominal charge to cover
    materials which I have since forgotten but if so it would have been nominal
    because my development budget is approximately zero.

    Also I have never in my life, to my knowledge, paid more than £15 for any
    software package* (discounting software bundled with hardware) so I would
    have remembered if it was significant.

    Regards
    Keith

    * OK, I once paid £30 for a game for my daughter's boyfriend's birthday, but
    that was an exception.

    Keith Sheppard, Jul 12, 2005
  11. Marvin Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi -
    >
    > I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture software to
    > directly capture images from the camera to the PC through USB, without
    > saving to the CF card (like Canon's software for the G6 and their
    > SLRs).
    >
    > I know there's a third party company in Russia (Akond) that sells this
    > software; but I would like to know if Olympus makes their own.
    >
    > I have called Olympus America but their phone support is terrible and
    > no one is picking up.
    >
    > I am interested in the following models:
    >
    > C-7070
    > C-7000
    > C-770
    > C-765
    > C-8080
    > C-60
    >
    > - Trevor

    The Camedia software that Olympus packages with their cameras is, I believe, from an
    Australian company.

    Marvin, Jul 12, 2005
  12. >>The Camedia software that Olympus packages with their cameras is,
    >>I believe, from an Australian company.

    So that explains why it keeps crashing on me. I should be using it upside
    down.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Jul 13, 2005