    stored and therefore importable?

    Thanks in advance!

    IHT
    Internet Highway Traveler, Apr 22, 2010

  2. Internet Highway Traveler

    Mike Easter Guest

    Internet Highway Traveler wrote:
    Subject: Does OE6's Store Folder Contain Attachments

    Yes

    > My e-mail client is OE6, running on XP Pro SP3.
    >
    > I maintain the e-mail client's Store Folder on my slave drive.
    >
    > My e-mails contain text in their message bodies, and many of them have
    > attachments.
    >
    > In the event that I need to re-install OE6, I know that I can import all
    > mail from the folder on the slave drive.
    >
    > Is only text stored, or, if an e-mail has text and an attachment, are both
    > stored and therefore importable?

    It is /all/ stored.

    The form of an individual mail consists of its headers which information
    type we'll call ascii (but it is more than that) and the body which may
    be plaintext like ascii or marked up ascii like html and which may have
    binary attachments which are typically encoded ascii to facilitate
    transmission.

    Then OE makes a database out of a collection of those messages by
    assembling them together into folder-files and then squishing the
    folderfiles into a more efficient storage form which is done by a
    proprietary compression scheme.

    Having done so, it enables you to use OE to access and decompress or
    recompress those proprietary database folderfiles so that you can
    rearrage the database mail parts and so that you can access any of the
    mails or messages or any of their attachments.

    This often also requires having an html rendering engine, such as that
    of IE and something to display the graphics or multimedia files or
    attachments.

    OE is a weak database and it is very easily corrupted, so a good backup
    strategy is very important. Tom Koch's insideoe is an excellent place
    to read about OE backup and storage considerations

    http://www.insideoe.com/backup/ Backup and Restore

    OE is no longer being developed. It gave way to Windows Mail which gave
    way to Windows Live Mail.

    Some people save and file the individual attachments separately, such as
    graphics files which are family pictures and such.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 22, 2010

  3. Internet Highway Traveler

    VanguardLH Guest

    Internet Highway Traveler wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > My e-mail client is OE6, running on XP Pro SP3.
    >
    > I maintain the e-mail client's Store Folder on my slave drive.
    >
    > My e-mails contain text in their message bodies, and many of them have
    > attachments.
    >
    > In the event that I need to re-install OE6, I know that I can import all
    > mail from the folder on the slave drive.
    >
    > Is only text stored, or, if an e-mail has text and an attachment, are both
    > stored and therefore importable?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > IHT

    Where do you think are attachments when you receive e-mails with them? They
    don't float out on the cyber ether somewhere separate of the e-mail. They
    are *in* the e-mail. That's how you get them. An e-mail only has 3
    sections: headers, blank delimiter line, and body. The attachments are MIME
    parts in the body of the e-mail. All e-mail - and I mean ALL e-mail - gets
    sent as plain text. HTML is text. RTF is text with a .dat attachment to
    record the formatting. Attachments are encoded into long text strings in
    MIME parts in the body of the e-mail. It's all text and it's all together.
    VanguardLH, Apr 22, 2010