Does "no upfront cost" = "best" or "most suitable"?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Jul 30, 2007.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:
    > What can be learned from China's conversion to Windows?
    >
    > "The fact that Red Flag Linux failed to gain a major foothold in China
    > is yet another blow to desktop Linux. After nearly eight years of being
    > on the verge of a breakthrough, Linux seems more destined than ever to
    > be a force in the server room but little more than a narrow niche and an
    > anomaly on the desktop."
    >
    > "Windows now has roughly 90% market share in China. There are currently
    > 120 million PCs in China, but that number is expected by grow
    > exponentially in the coming decades, and Microsoft is in a great
    > position to reap the benefits."
    >
    > http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=525

    That it took "offering" Windows for free to combat Linux, same in the
    Web server space....in more "honest" countries Linux is doing better, so
    Windows will have to come down to that price to stand a chance....Is
    this a viable long term strategy for MS? will it ever make substantial
    dollars in the 3rd world? does not seem so for the next 3~5 years....

    regards

    Thing

    Mickey Mouse, Jul 30, 2007

  3. thingy

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "thingy" <thing@/dev/null> wrote in message news:46ad71c3$...
    > Mickey Mouse wrote:
    >> What can be learned from China's conversion to Windows?
    >>
    >> "The fact that Red Flag Linux failed to gain a major foothold in China is
    >> yet another blow to desktop Linux. After nearly eight years of being on
    >> the verge of a breakthrough, Linux seems more destined than ever to be a
    >> force in the server room but little more than a narrow niche and an
    >> anomaly on the desktop."
    >>
    >> "Windows now has roughly 90% market share in China. There are currently
    >> 120 million PCs in China, but that number is expected by grow
    >> exponentially in the coming decades, and Microsoft is in a great position
    >> to reap the benefits."
    >>
    >> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=525

    > That it took "offering" Windows for free to combat Linux, same in the Web
    > server space....in more "honest" countries Linux is doing better, so
    > Windows will have to come down to that price to stand a chance....Is this
    > a viable long term strategy for MS? will it ever make substantial dollars
    > in the 3rd world? does not seem so for the next 3~5 years....

    I don't see any mention of offering Windows for free, however Microsoft's
    pricing was reset to be more in line with local values.

    Microsoft would seem to be implementing a well considered approach whereby
    they gain widespread market acceptance with a product that people want, and
    ride increased revenue through more widespread utilisation through to a time
    where revenues increase in line with demand driven purchases and increased
    incomes.

    Clearly, operating a business in a third world country does not expose them
    to the same cost structure. Sure, China may currently account for only 1.5%
    of revenue, however it would be apparent that Microsoft is taking a long
    term perspective and recognises the potential in such a market.

    Mickey Mouse, Jul 30, 2007
  4. thingy

    peterwn Guest

    peterwn, Jul 30, 2007
  5. thingy

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > Mickey Mouse wrote:
    >> What can be learned from China's conversion to Windows?
    >>
    >> "The fact that Red Flag Linux failed to gain a major foothold in China

    > More like Micro$oft bullcrap than fact.
    >
    > See:
    > http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/specialreports/0,39044853,62028679,00.htm

    Fascinating - the article you have linked to says:

    "But while Linux is slowly growing its foothold--accounting for 2.5 percent
    of the overall non-embedded operating system market in the first quarter, up
    0.4 percent from 2006--the platform remains in a "weak position", Wang
    said."

    Furthermore, in line with a consistent theme that has been developing;

    "Linux is popular as a server operating system because of its "relatively
    stable" performance and cost-effectiveness, Wang said, noting that the use
    of desktop Linux though is rare."

    Mickey Mouse, Jul 30, 2007
  6. thingy

    peterwn Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:

    > "Linux is popular as a server operating system because of its
    > "relatively stable" performance and cost-effectiveness, Wang said,
    > noting that the use of desktop Linux though is rare."

    Well, telephones, television, then colour TV and push button phones, etc
    were once rare.

    When the telephone was first invented, the NZ Post & Telegraph
    Department (P&T or sometimes called T&P because of the amount of tea
    consumed) merely thought the telephone would be a useful device for
    small post offices for dictating telegrams, the ones where it was not
    worth employing a telegraphist. It took some years for telephones to
    catch on, but when they did, growth was enormous with farmers everywhere
    erecting their own wires to get a phone service as soon as possible.

    Linux desktop is at this fairly stage with the Luddites wailing and
    gnashing their teeth about how it is going to destroy the proprietary world.

    peterwn, Jul 30, 2007