    lenses to fit into other brand cameras.
    Just curious.

    , Jul 21, 2007

  2. Yes Baby Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In the old days, Nikon supplies a series of lenses for the Bronica
    > Zenza medium format camera. I wonder whether Nikon also supplies
    > lenses to fit into other brand cameras.
    > Just curious.

    most probably from their glass division........

    Yes Baby, Jul 21, 2007

  3. babaloo Guest

    The more relevant question might be: to what companies does Nikon outsource
    design and manufacture of their lenses?

    babaloo, Jul 21, 2007
  4. ftran999 Guest

    "babaloo" <> wrote in message
    > The more relevant question might be: to what companies does Nikon
    > outsource design and manufacture of their lenses?

    Unless things have changed, Nikon is, with maybe with one exception, the
    only company to produce its own lenses.

    ftran999, Jul 21, 2007
  5. Jonathan Guest

    ftran999 wrote:
    > "babaloo" <> wrote in message
    >> The more relevant question might be: to what companies does Nikon
    >> outsource design and manufacture of their lenses?
    >>

    > Unless things have changed, Nikon is, with maybe with one exception,
    > the only company to produce its own lenses.

    They may have.

    http://www.dhgate.com/search.do

    Jonathan, Jul 21, 2007
  6. Jonathan Guest

    Jonathan, Jul 22, 2007
  7. In article <>,
    "ftran999" <> wrote:

    > "babaloo" <> wrote in message
    > > The more relevant question might be: to what companies does Nikon
    > > outsource design and manufacture of their lenses?
    > >

    > Unless things have changed, Nikon is, with maybe with one exception, the
    > only company to produce its own lenses.

    Mostly outsourced now.

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis

    Ockham's Razor, Jul 22, 2007
  8. "ftran999" <> wrote in message

    > "babaloo" <> wrote in message
    >> The more relevant question might be: to what companies does Nikon
    >> outsource design and manufacture of their lenses?
    >>

    > Unless things have changed, Nikon is, with maybe with one exception, the
    > only company to produce its own lenses.

    Hello everyone.

    Canon used to make its own lenses. This is going back many years and I have
    no idea if it is still true.

    Nikon's EM (which was a compact and lightweight body that took Nikon lenses)
    had a poor reputation and turned out to be made for Nikon by some other
    manufacturer. It was eventually discontinued, not superseded.

    Regards, Ian.

    Fred Anonymous, Jul 22, 2007
  9. On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:02:41 +0100, "Fred Anonymous" <>
    wrote:

    >Nikon's EM (which was a compact and lightweight body that took Nikon lenses)
    >had a poor reputation and turned out to be made for Nikon by some other
    >manufacturer. It was eventually discontinued, not superseded.

    While the Nikon FM-10 and FG-20 were actually rebadged Chinon's, Nikon
    manufactured the EM itself. Despite the use of more plastic than any
    Nikon camera of the era, EM's have proven to hold up very well over the
    years.

    However, it turned out that there wasn't all that much of a market
    for (essentially) an aperture-mode only SLR, so the EM died a quiet
    death.

    --
    Michael Benveniste --

    Michael Benveniste, Jul 22, 2007
  10. On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 06:09:12 -0700, wrote:

    >In the old days, Nikon supplies a series of lenses for the Bronica
    >Zenza medium format camera. I wonder whether Nikon also supplies
    >lenses to fit into other brand cameras.

    Nikon used to make a full line of large format and process lenses,
    which were mainly used with other brands of cameras and industrial
    gear. I use a 180mm f/5.6 Nikkor-W and a 120mm f/5.6 AM-Nikkor
    with a Wista 45DX. These were discontinued a while back, but
    there's still some "new-old" stock available.

    Nikon and its subsidiaries may supply optical glass to other
    camera makers, and may still sell individual lens elements
    for industrial and government contracts, but as far as I know
    they do not sell complete lenses except under their own name
    and for the F-mount.

    --
    Michael Benveniste --

    Michael Benveniste, Jul 22, 2007
  11. tomm42 Guest

    On Jul 21, 9:09 am, wrote:
    > In the old days, Nikon supplies a series of lenses for the Bronica
    > Zenza medium format camera. I wonder whether Nikon also supplies
    > lenses to fit into other brand cameras.
    > Just curious.

    There was another obscure camera that had Nikon lenses other than the
    Bronica, but this is a collector's question. Nikon also made
    scientific macro lenses, very rare and comparible to Zeiss's also rare
    Luminars. There large format lenses were excellent, but never great
    sellers in the US as here Schneider and Rodenstock reigned. Their 120
    f5.6 and 200 f5.6 macro lenses were exceptional large format lenses.
    Discontinued about 2 years ago.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jul 23, 2007
  12. C J Campbell Guest

    On 2007-07-21 16:54:22 -0700, Ockham's Razor <> said:

    > In article <>,
    > "ftran999" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "babaloo" <> wrote in message
    >>> The more relevant question might be: to what companies does Nikon
    >>> outsource design and manufacture of their lenses?
    >>>

    >> Unless things have changed, Nikon is, with maybe with one exception, the
    >> only company to produce its own lenses.

    > Mostly outsourced now.

    CFR. Nikon still has lens factories devoted to making lenses and they
    claim that one reason some of their most popular lenses are
    back-ordered is because of lack of production capacity in Nikon's
    factories.
    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor