    overall lens length to remain constant throughout the focal range)?

    Thanks.
    Kevin

    k-man, Apr 30, 2006

  2. k-man

    Charles Guest

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105af.htm

    Charles, Apr 30, 2006

  3. k-man

    pixel_a_ted Guest

    k-man wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > Sorry for the basic question. Couldn't find the answer, not even on
    > Nikon's site...
    >
    > Does the Nikon 105mm f/2.8D micro do internal focusing (allowing the
    > overall lens length to remain constant throughout the focal range)?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Kevin

    The front of the lens grows about 1 inch over the full focus range.

    pixel_a_ted, Apr 30, 2006
  4. k-man

    Guest

    > Does the Nikon 105mm f/2.8D micro do internal focusing (allowing the
    > overall lens length to remain constant throughout the focal range)?

    The end of the lens does go in and out about an inch but it doesn't
    rotate like some older AF lenses so you can use split filters,
    polarizers etc. without problem.

    , Apr 30, 2006
  5. pixel_a_ted wrote:

    >> Does the Nikon 105mm f/2.8D micro do internal focusing (allowing the
    >> overall lens length to remain constant throughout the focal range)?

    > The front of the lens grows about 1 inch over the full focus range.

    Yes, about a 1.25" to 1.5" in a straight in out motion. This is great since
    it allows installation of the R1C1 flash unit and other accessories that
    would be problematic with other rotating barrel lenses.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Apr 30, 2006
  6. k-man

    k-man Guest

    > Hi:
    >
    > Sorry for the basic question. Couldn't find the answer, not even on
    > Nikon's site...
    >

    > Does the Nikon 105mm f/2.8D micro do internal focusing (allowing the
    > overall lens length to remain constant throughout the focal range)?
    >

    > Thanks.
    > Kevin

    Thanks everyone for your replies. I prefer IF but at least the front
    element doesn't rotate. That's the more important part. Thanks again.

    Kevin

    k-man, May 1, 2006