    I only bought this copy so that I could get x64, so ill be pretty cheesed if
    I cant get it, any help appreciated,

    Nathan

    =?Utf-8?B?bXJuYXRoYW4=?=, Jul 2, 2005

  2. Did you try this, use another date that would be appropriate or suitable to
    the TAP program?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 2, 2005

  3. "mrnathan" <> wrote in message
    >I have bought a full service pack 2 included version of Microsoft Windows
    >XP
    > pro (OEM edition).
    >
    > I have subsiquently tried to register for the x64 upgrade, and when i bash
    > in my registration ID (76487-OEM-0*****6-45676) and select the date of
    > purchase it doesnt let me continue. Says that the COA is invalid (baring
    > in
    > mind I neither have a COA or have input the COA in the field).
    >
    > Does this mean if you have an OEM copy of xp pro you need a COA to
    > register,
    > becuase i didnt get a COA with my copy....but I have a full license, and a
    > product ID and serial number (registered aswell), so surely that shouldnt
    > matter??

    All OEM products come with a Certificate of Authenticity (COA)
    see
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/uk/coa.mspx

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 2, 2005
  4. Not bootlegged copies <VBEG>
    I suspect this is the case here.
    Any bets the "OEM copy" was purchased online??

    Associate Expert
    Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
    http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm

    Larry Samuels, Jul 2, 2005
  5. Maybe there is some glitch in the program accepting either PID or COA, try
    again at a later date.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 2, 2005
  6. As Mike stated, *ALL* legitimate OEM copies come with the COA.
    No COA = 100% certainty the software is an illegal copy.

    Larry Samuels, Jul 2, 2005
  7. I did buy the copy online, but it came as the origianl copy, with the
    origianl (hologram) disc, and the documentation. And its the service pack 2
    edition, and iv registered it no probs, which i wouldnt have been able to do
    if it were a copy.

    Am i right?

    nathan

    =?Utf-8?B?bXJuYXRoYW4=?=, Jul 3, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?bXJuYXRoYW4=?=

    Rick Guest

    Where did you get the Product Key for the installation?

    Rick, Jul 3, 2005
  9. The Product Key was on a red printed sticker on the outside of the shrinkwrap
    packaging. It worked, and I have since registered the copy, so I assume its
    unique and genuine.

    Another small question....if the deadline for upgrading to x64 is the 31st
    of July, does that mean it will turn retail on the 1st of august?

    nathan

    =?Utf-8?B?bXJuYXRoYW4=?=, Jul 3, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?bXJuYXRoYW4=?=

    Rick Guest

    Not according to anything that has been published. It has been stated
    numerous times that it will only be OEM.

    If your disc has a holograph, Microsoft had a program about a month or
    so ago where they would exchange your pirated disk for a valid one if
    you provided all the information as to where it was obtained.

    All legitimate copies of Microsoft Windows are on holograph disks, and
    are accompanied by Certificate of Authenticity which has the COA number
    and the Product Key. The COA also has holographs of "GENUINE" and
    "Microsoft" that can be seen when the light reflects off it.

    Rick, Jul 3, 2005
  11. + in that case will you not be able to get x64 after July 31st??? seems a
    little strange.

    =?Utf-8?B?bXJuYXRoYW4=?=, Jul 3, 2005
  12. any linkage for this program??

    =?Utf-8?B?bXJuYXRoYW4=?=, Jul 3, 2005
  13. The program will end after then, but pending request made before the date
    will still be processed.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 3, 2005
  14. http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/purchase/QualifyInfo.aspx

    Larry Samuels, Jul 3, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?bXJuYXRoYW4=?=

    Rick Guest

    Thank Larry Samuels for the following link:

    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/purchase/QualifyInfo.aspx

    The TAP program is currently slated to end July 31st - no more trading
    in a current license for x64. The OEM version is available for sale,
    along with a qualifying piece on non-peripheral hardware, at many
    places. Do a Froogle search for "ZAT-00007" which is the part number
    for Windows x64.

    Rick, Jul 3, 2005
  16. Thanks for the links. the swap program thing is only available for those
    without valid product keys, so as i have a valid product key i cant regioster
    for it.

    I wish i realised that an OEM copy of x64 was available as I would have just
    bought that instead! im just trying to get a refund on my copy of XP pro now,
    and have reported them for providing the software without a COA. thanks for
    all your help.

    Nathan

    =?Utf-8?B?bXJuYXRoYW4=?=, Jul 3, 2005
  17. You *DO NOT* have a valid key!

    ALL legitimate OEM copies come with the key printed on the COA. The fact
    your key came on a red sticker instead of on the COA proves that it was a
    key produced with a key generator.

    Follow the steps on the link I provided to see if you can qualify for free
    or reduced cost replacement of your illegal copy.

    Larry Samuels, Jul 3, 2005
  18. I did, it tells me that I have a valid key. I have also done a test to see
    if the copy i have is genuine and it says it is (the CD, packaging and the
    key, the only thing I dont have is the COA number/sticker). I have also
    registered the product, proving that the seriel I used was unique and
    genuine. As far as im aware the key is valid, it just didnt come from a COA
    sticker. I have contacted itechwholesale.com for a refund/COA sticker,
    awaiting replies from them.

    i have also reported them to microsoft for piracy.

    But as I said, everything iv done indicates the the product key I got was
    genuine, im not sure why it didnt come from a COA sticker though. Who knows!

    I wish id of known that i could have just bought x64, cause i would have
    just done that, but when i searched for it just as: 'windows x64' i couldnt
    find any copies..? maybe i looked before it was released or something, who
    knows, but hopefully ill get a result from itech then can just buy x64.

    =?Utf-8?B?bXJuYXRoYW4=?=, Jul 3, 2005
  19. You have mentioned registration a couple of times, but you did not mention
    activation. Did your copy require you to activate the install within 30
    days?

    Since you were able to pass the Windows Genuine Advantage test, I have a
    feeling what you received was actually a legitimate VL cd and a generated
    key. As such it should qualify for replacement.

    Is there any chance you could scan the CD and packaging and send the pics to
    me by email? Please do not post the scans here.
    I am an OEM System builder and I would like to compare your copy with both
    a legitimate OEM copy and with an original VL copy.

    Please be sure to obscure the cd key before sending the scans for security
    reasons.

    Thanks,
    Larry

    Larry Samuels, Jul 3, 2005
  20. =?Utf-8?B?bXJuYXRoYW4=?=

    Rick Guest

    Actually you do not know for sure whether you have a valid Product Key
    or not!

    Rick, Jul 3, 2005