Does MSN Messenger create more vulnerabilities ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Owens, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. John Owens

    John Owens Guest

    I have asked this question previously but my son assures me that things
    have improved.

    My question is

    'does using MSN messenger leave your computer more open (and /or liable) to
    attack by viruses etc. than merely using e-mail or web browsing'

    The picture I was given before is that MSN messenger leaves a ?port? open
    for the people who are always polling for weaknesses.

    Is there anything that can be done to reduce the vulnerability to similar
    levels as surfing (or even going on news groups !). Are some of these chat
    facilities better than others ?

    AND
    Would things get better or worse if I go to Broadband ?

    For info I do have virus checkers, regularly updated . I do have a router.

    Thanks in advance

    --
    John Owens

    Fax 44 1509 89 08 22