Does Moz/xe send a keep alive ping?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Gordon Abbot, Mar 18, 2005.

  1. Gordon Abbot

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    When and only when Mozilla is active every 15 seconds my computer pings
    the following-

    TCP:127.0.0.1:xxxx
    which is - This block is assigned for use as the Internet host
    loopback address. A datagram sent by a higher level protocol to an
    address anywhere within this block should loop back inside the host.
    This is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback,
    but no addresses within this block should ever appear on any network
    anywhere

    Which seems to indicate that either Moz or windows XE is pinging to
    continue to check my IP address and keep the line open. My guess is
    windows xp and its network protocol.

    Which is it and what process is responsible? Is it necessary this often?

    I did not notice it with win 98se, but that does not mean it was not
    going on.

    BTW- tested the computer with shields up and all stealth. Plus ran
    spybot, adaware, asquared and AVG with no hits. Running behind a router
    and zonealarm.

    GA

    --
    My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
    Gordon Abbot, Mar 18, 2005

  2. Gordon Abbot

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    Gordon Abbot wrote:
    > When and only when Mozilla is active every 15 seconds my computer pings
    > the following-
    >
    > TCP:127.0.0.1:xxxx
    > which is - This block is assigned for use as the Internet host
    > loopback address. A datagram sent by a higher level protocol to an
    > address anywhere within this block should loop back inside the host.
    > This is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback,
    > but no addresses within this block should ever appear on any network
    > anywhere
    >

    > Which seems to indicate that either Moz or windows XE is pinging to
    > continue to check my IP address and keep the line open. My guess is
    > windows xp and its network protocol.
    >
    > Which is it and what process is responsible? Is it necessary this often?
    >
    > I did not notice it with win 98se, but that does not mean it was not
    > going on.
    >
    > BTW- tested the computer with shields up and all stealth. Plus ran
    > spybot, adaware, asquared and AVG with no hits. Running behind a router
    > and zonealarm.
    >
    > GA

    It does not do this when in MSIE, only Mozilla.

    --
    My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
    Gordon Abbot, Mar 18, 2005

  3. Gordon Abbot

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Gordon Abbot wrote:

    > Gordon Abbot wrote:
    >
    >> When and only when Mozilla is active every 15 seconds my computer
    >> pings the following-
    >>
    >> TCP:127.0.0.1:xxxx which is - This block is assigned for use as the
    >> Internet host
    >> loopback address. A datagram sent by a higher level protocol to an
    >> address anywhere within this block should loop back inside the host.
    >> This is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback,
    >> but no addresses within this block should ever appear on any network
    >> anywhere
    >>
    >> Which seems to indicate that either Moz or windows XE is pinging to
    >> continue to check my IP address and keep the line open. My guess is
    >> windows xp and its network protocol.
    >>
    >> Which is it and what process is responsible? Is it necessary this often?
    >>
    >> I did not notice it with win 98se, but that does not mean it was not
    >> going on.
    >>
    >> BTW- tested the computer with shields up and all stealth. Plus ran
    >> spybot, adaware, asquared and AVG with no hits. Running behind a
    >> router and zonealarm.
    >>
    >> GA
    >>

    > It does not do this when in MSIE, only Mozilla.

    127.0.0.1 is your local machine's internal IP address. No Internet
    traffic is occurring. You might try turning off "keep alive." Not sure
    if that has anything to do with this.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net