    pc running win2000pro, aol 9.0 SE(including firewall), limewire 4.8.1

    help please!

    gls

    Stass, May 5, 2007

  2. Stass

    tom Guest

    Try here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/swapping

    tom, May 5, 2007

  3. Stass

    PeeCee Guest

    "Stass" <> wrote in message
    > it says "connecting..." for hours but never "connected"
    >
    > pc running win2000pro, aol 9.0 SE(including firewall), limewire 4.8.1
    >

    > help please!
    >

    > gls

    Grego

    Has anyone pointed out to you the dangers of using 'Limewire' ? (and any
    other P2P program for that matter)

    Though the program itself may be clean the problem with using programs of
    this type is there is no way of checking just what is inside the file you
    download.
    I've lost track of the number of PC's over my desk with nasty
    virus/trojan/malware infections that have 'Limewire' on them.

    The classic case was the young lady that complained bitterly that I had
    'lost' all her music files when their non booting PC was bought in for
    repair.
    Turns out the PC went 'funny' when the lady in question ran a file she'd
    just downloaded with Limewire.
    Using an image of the drive I made when the PC came in I was able to show
    the file she ran had blown her profile completely away, music files and all.

    It was quite interesting to watch her reaction (and silence) as it sunk in.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, May 6, 2007
  4. Stass

    Guest

    , May 6, 2007
  5. Stass

    Guest

    Stass wrote:
    > it says "connecting..." for hours but never "connected"
    >
    > pc running win2000pro, aol 9.0 SE(including firewall), limewire 4.8.1
    >

    > help please!
    >

    > gls

    Yes it does work with dialup.

    Try disabling the firewall or anything you think might be blocking
    ports and restart limewire.

    , May 6, 2007
  6. Stass

    Guest

    wrote:

    >Stass wrote:
    >> it says "connecting..." for hours but never "connected"
    >>
    >> pc running win2000pro, aol 9.0 SE(including firewall), limewire 4.8.1
    >>

    >> help please!
    >>

    >> gls

    >Yes it does work with dialup.
    >
    >Try disabling the firewall or anything you think might be blocking
    >ports and restart limewire.

    You don't disable your firewall, their going to have enough malware as
    it is.

    OP: even if you don't use the windows firewall.

    Start | Run <type in>
    firewall.cpl
    <enter>

    Advanced Tab, ICMP settings, allow everything, ok out

    Also the Exceptions Tab, see if limewire is listed and select it.

    --
    1K Project
    http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

    , May 6, 2007
  7. Stass

    Guest

    wrote:
    > Stass <> wrote:
    >
    > >it says "connecting..." for hours but never "connected"
    > >
    > >pc running win2000pro, aol 9.0 SE(including firewall), limewire 4.8.1
    > >

    > >help please!

    > As PeeCee mentioned drop limewire.

    Ive used limewire for years and never downloaded anything I didn't
    intend to. I even downloaded
    a few suspect files to see if my avg free was working because it never
    found anything wrong and
    as suspected the files were picked up by AVG Free.

    There is no doubt that p2p is packed with things that make you go
    ouch.

    If you don't have any problem downloading anything .exe from p2p and
    don't at least use a virus scanner then you will almost certainly
    download and install a virus.

    > Start using torrents (www.utorrent.com)
    > get your stuff here (for one) http://thepiratebay.org/browse.php
    > it's still going to be slow going, but the files are safer (always
    > read the comments before downloading)

    Definitely safer and far more complete.

    > Get The Whole Thing
    > http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=1142

    , May 6, 2007
  8. Stass

    Guest

    wrote:

    >Ive used limewire for years and never downloaded anything I didn't
    >intend to. I even downloaded
    >a few suspect files to see if my avg free was working because it never
    >found anything wrong and
    >as suspected the files were picked up by AVG Free.

    I use this site http://vx.netlux.org/ to test NOD32, with AGV you have
    to download a file to test it, NOD32 stops the download :)

    >There is no doubt that p2p is packed with things that make you go
    >ouch.

    As with any file downloads but torrents are just safer. I've never
    downloaded any malware in a torrent file, I owe a lot to the responses
    about the tracker.

    >If you don't have any problem downloading anything .exe from p2p and
    >don't at least use a virus scanner then you will almost certainly
    >download and install a virus.

    Na, safe hex and common sense plays a lot into it, a batch file will
    not be caught by a virus detector and they can cause some major
    damage. This is especially true if you run with the default windows
    settings which hide file extensions.

    If I have concerns I'll use a hex editor, and a program called Peek
    http://members.ping.at/mlubich/
    --
    1K Project
    http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

    , May 6, 2007
  9. Stass

    Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Stass wrote:
    > >> it says "connecting..." for hours but never "connected"
    > >>
    > >> pc running win2000pro, aol 9.0 SE(including firewall), limewire 4.8.1
    > >>

    > >> help please!
    > >>

    > >> gls

    > >Yes it does work with dialup.
    > >
    > >Try disabling the firewall or anything you think might be blocking
    > >ports and restart limewire.

    > You don't disable your firewall, their going to have enough malware as
    > it is.

    Yes no maybe.

    Live and learn for the people. If Limewire suddenly connects after
    disabling the firewall then the firewall is the culprit, restart the
    firewall, then adjust accordingly.

    Many people have systems infested with malware who have no firewall at
    all.

    If when he/she stops the firewall and if malware does start connecting
    to remote sites then he/she should fix the problems once and for all.

    You would agree that installing the basic avg free, spybot and adaware
    and running them and keeping them updated is basic windows needs.

    > OP: even if you don't use the windows firewall.
    >
    > Start | Run <type in>
    > firewall.cpl
    > <enter>
    >
    > Advanced Tab, ICMP settings, allow everything, ok out

    Sounds right.

    Allow everything out but block incoming ICMP.

    I like outpost free for a firewall.

    > Also the Exceptions Tab, see if limewire is listed and select it.

    I believe this applies in XP and I never saw limewire listed so I
    disable the built in firewall
    and use Outpost free.

    , May 8, 2007