    it matter?
    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

    Frosty, Jan 17, 2006

  2. Frosty

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Frosty spewed forth:
    > I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
    > router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or doesn't
    > it matter?

    300 meters, if I remember correctly. See! Now she can take the laptop to the
    corner pub <g>

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Frosty

    FML Guest

    Frosty wrote:
    > I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
    > router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or doesn't
    > it matter?

    IIRC, Ethernet (10T-1000T) spec is 100 meters for solid core "backbone"
    cable. Patch cables (standard stranded conductor) spec at 10 meters.
    However, I have seen longer runs in both cases that worked just fine.

    FML, Jan 17, 2006
  4. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 16 Jan 2006
    23:06:14 -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide FML
    <> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >Frosty wrote:
    >> I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
    >> router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or

    doesn't
    >> it matter?

    >IIRC, Ethernet (10T-1000T) spec is 100 meters for solid core

    "backbone"
    >cable. Patch cables (standard stranded conductor) spec at 10 meters.
    >However, I have seen longer runs in both cases that worked just fine.

    You and the Toolman must both be in Europe or sumthin'!
    Can you tell this dumb ol' American what all that means in feet?
    I wanna drill a hole in the ceiling, run a wire up into the attic,
    drape it over the beams & thru the insulation, drill a hole over my
    wife's study & drop the wire down to her box which when she's sitting
    down should be right near her PC, about 36 feet.

    How many meters is that?

    Tim:
    Pub? Probably ain't no "Pubs" in the entire state of Tennessee!
    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

    Frosty, Jan 17, 2006
  5. Frosty

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:34:21 -0500, Frosty <> wrote:

    >What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 16 Jan 2006
    >23:06:14 -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide FML
    ><> from this open and apparent shame?:
    >
    >>Frosty wrote:
    >>> I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
    >>> router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or

    >doesn't
    >>> it matter?

    >>IIRC, Ethernet (10T-1000T) spec is 100 meters for solid core

    >"backbone"
    >>cable. Patch cables (standard stranded conductor) spec at 10 meters.
    >>However, I have seen longer runs in both cases that worked just fine.

    >You and the Toolman must both be in Europe or sumthin'!
    >Can you tell this dumb ol' American what all that means in feet?
    >I wanna drill a hole in the ceiling, run a wire up into the attic,
    >drape it over the beams & thru the insulation, drill a hole over my
    >wife's study & drop the wire down to her box which when she's sitting
    >down should be right near her PC, about 36 feet.
    >
    >How many meters is that?
    >
    >Tim:
    >Pub? Probably ain't no "Pubs" in the entire state of Tennessee!

    A meter is 3.28 feet

    Unk, Jan 17, 2006
  6. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Tue, 17 Jan 2006
    01:00:46 -0500, canst thou now find out, to hide Unk <>

    wrote:

    >>What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 16 Jan 2006
    >>23:06:14 -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide FML
    >><> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >>doesn't
    >>>IIRC, Ethernet (10T-1000T) spec is 100 meters for solid core

    >>"backbone"
    >>>cable. Patch cables (standard stranded conductor) spec at 10

    meters.
    >>>However, I have seen longer runs in both cases that worked just

    fine.

    >>You and the Toolman must both be in Europe or sumthin'!
    >>Can you tell this dumb ol' American what all that means in feet?
    >>I wanna drill a hole in the ceiling, run a wire up into the attic,
    >>drape it over the beams & thru the insulation, drill a hole over my
    >>wife's study & drop the wire down to her box which when she's

    sitting
    >>down should be right near her PC, about 36 feet.
    >>
    >>How many meters is that?
    >>
    >>Tim:
    >>Pub? Probably ain't no "Pubs" in the entire state of Tennessee!

    >A meter is 3.28 feet

    So will my 36 feet work then?

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

    Frosty, Jan 17, 2006
  7. Frosty

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:06:14 -0600, FML wrote:

    > Frosty wrote:
    >> I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
    >> router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or doesn't
    >> it matter?

    > IIRC, Ethernet (10T-1000T) spec is 100 meters for solid core "backbone"
    > cable. Patch cables (standard stranded conductor) spec at 10 meters.
    > However, I have seen longer runs in both cases that worked just fine.

    I've got a 30m CAT5 cable that works great......

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu 5.10

    Gordon, Jan 17, 2006
  8. Frosty

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:08:20 -0500, Frosty <> wrote:

    >What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Tue, 17 Jan 2006
    >01:00:46 -0500, canst thou now find out, to hide Unk <>
    >from this open and apparent shame?:
    >
    >>On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:34:21 -0500, Frosty <>

    >wrote:
    >>
    >>>What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 16 Jan 2006
    >>>23:06:14 -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide FML
    >>><> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >>>doesn't
    >>>"backbone"

    >meters.

    >fine.
    >>>
    >>>You and the Toolman must both be in Europe or sumthin'!
    >>>Can you tell this dumb ol' American what all that means in feet?
    >>>I wanna drill a hole in the ceiling, run a wire up into the attic,
    >>>drape it over the beams & thru the insulation, drill a hole over my
    >>>wife's study & drop the wire down to her box which when she's

    >sitting
    >>>down should be right near her PC, about 36 feet.
    >>>
    >>>How many meters is that?
    >>>
    >>>Tim:
    >>>Pub? Probably ain't no "Pubs" in the entire state of Tennessee!

    >>A meter is 3.28 feet

    >So will my 36 feet work then?

    Yes. Even Staples sells the cables in lengths of 50 and 100 feet! No problem.

    Unk, Jan 17, 2006
  9. Frosty

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > In news:,
    > Frosty spewed forth:
    > > I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
    > > router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or doesn't
    > > it matter?

    > 300 meters, if I remember correctly. See! Now she can take the laptop to the
    > corner pub <g>

    300 feet

    Plato, Jan 17, 2006
  10. Frosty

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:43cd36cc$0$433$,
    Plato spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> In news:,
    >> Frosty spewed forth:
    >>> I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
    >>> router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or
    >>> doesn't it matter?

    >> 300 meters, if I remember correctly. See! Now she can take the
    >> laptop to the corner pub <g>

    > 300 feet

    Yeah. Okay. 100 meters. But I've seen longer runs.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 17, 2006
  11. Frosty

    Leythos Guest

    In article <NVbzf.50$>, lid
    says...
    > In news:43cd36cc$0$433$,
    > Plato spewed forth:
    > > Toolman Tim wrote:
    > >>
    > >> In news:,
    > >> Frosty spewed forth:
    > >>
    > >> 300 meters, if I remember correctly. See! Now she can take the
    > >> laptop to the corner pub <g>

    > > 300 feet

    > Yeah. Okay. 100 meters. But I've seen longer runs.

    The standard is 100 meters, which is 328 feet, but the norm is 90 meters
    between locations to allow for patch panel connections.

    As with any standard, it's designed to work, so that leaves some slop on
    either side to play with - so you might get 110 meters to work, or if
    you did 150 meters at 10 base it might work...

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Jan 17, 2006
  12. Frosty

    Plato Guest

    I've heard from women, that its not the length, but the girth, that
    matters.

    Either way I seem to be cursed in that realm.

    Plato, Jan 17, 2006
  13. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on 17 Jan 2006 15:06:02
    -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide Plato <|@|.|> from this open
    and apparent shame?:

    >I've heard from women, that its not the length, but the girth, that
    >matters.
    >
    >Either way I seem to be cursed in that realm.

    Try duct tape.

    Oh BTW, the wire worked fine! The fuking insulation in the attic
    sucked, and I wonder if it's just my imagination, but it seems that
    when my wife's PC is hooked up to the 'net, my internet experience is
    slowed down considerably.

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."

    Frosty, Jan 18, 2006
  14. Frosty

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-01-18, Frosty <> wrote:
    > What trick, what device, what starting-hole on 17 Jan 2006 15:06:02
    > -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide Plato <|@|.|> from this open
    > and apparent shame?:
    >
    >>I've heard from women, that its not the length, but the girth, that
    >>matters.
    >>
    >>Either way I seem to be cursed in that realm.

    > Try duct tape.
    >
    > Oh BTW, the wire worked fine! The fuking insulation in the attic
    > sucked, and I wonder if it's just my imagination, but it seems that
    > when my wife's PC is hooked up to the 'net, my internet experience is
    > slowed down considerably.

    Imagine two people trying to get through the same door at the same time.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 18, 2006
  15. On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:47:49 -0500, Frosty <> wrote:

    >I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
    >router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or doesn't
    >it matter?

    Just the fact that the cables can be no more than 300 Meters, but
    should you need more distance, you can go 300 Meters, connect to a
    hub, then connect another 300 meter cable to that hub, then connect to
    the other computer... That, or buy a device made for boosting the
    signal up, though with hubs being so cheap for 4-port hubs, why
    bother...

    John H. Guillory, Jan 29, 2006
  16. John H. Guillory wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:47:49 -0500, Frosty <> wrote:
    >
    >>I wanna hook up my wife's PC to my Linksys non-wireless (wired)
    >>router. Is there like some maximum length the wire can be, or doesn't
    >>it matter?

    > Just the fact that the cables can be no more than 300 Meters, but
    > should you need more distance, you can go 300 Meters, connect to a
    > hub, then connect another 300 meter cable to that hub, then connect to
    > the other computer... That, or buy a device made for boosting the
    > signal up, though with hubs being so cheap for 4-port hubs, why
    > bother...

    Actually it's 300 ft or 100 meters for standard cat5 cabling.
    To the OP: How did you manage to keep such a healthy distance? ;-)
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Jan 29, 2006
  17. Re: Re: Does length matter?

    Walter Mautner wrote:

    John H. Guillory wrote:

    >Actually it's 300 ft or 100 meters for standard cat5 cabling.
    >To the OP: How did you manage to keep such a healthy distance? ;-)

    What are your feelings now?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006