    All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image than
    a DVD?

    Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs

    Curtin/Dobbs, May 12, 2004

  2. Curtin/Dobbs

    Biz Guest

    "Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    news:iOioc.75793$kh4.4363268@attbi_s52...
    > All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image

    than
    > a DVD?
    >
    > Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs

    Its a tough question especially since all things can never be equal when
    comparing CAV LDs(analog) to DVD(digital). 1st of all, DVDs have up to
    720x480/720x576 resolution, which was not possible with LDs. Personally, I
    have never seen a well done DVD that did not outperform a well done LD...

    Biz, May 12, 2004

  3. Curtin/Dobbs

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    > All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image

    than
    > a DVD?

    No.

    There is very little difference between a CLV and a CAV disc in terms of
    perceptible picture quality. Laserdisc is still laserdisc.

    Joshua Zyber, May 12, 2004
  4. Curtin/Dobbs

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    > All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image

    than
    > a DVD?

    No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, May 12, 2004
  5. Curtin/Dobbs

    TCS Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
    On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    >"Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    >> All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image

    >than
    >> a DVD?

    >No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

    Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.

    TCS, May 12, 2004
  6. Curtin/Dobbs

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "TCS" <> wrote in message
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    > >"Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    > >> All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image

    > >than
    > >> a DVD?

    > >No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

    > Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.

    Irrelevant, the advantages listed above are quantitative and independent of
    the playback device.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, May 12, 2004
  7. Curtin/Dobbs

    TCS Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:25:36 -0700, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    >"TCS" <> wrote in message
    >> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
    >> On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    >> >"Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    >> >than

    >> >No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

    >> Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.

    >Irrelevant, the advantages listed above are quantitative and independent of
    >the playback device.

    Not irrelevent at all. DVD can't be considered "superior" when it is hampered
    by the exact same limitations as LD. It's like saying that sports car B
    is "far superior" to sports car A because it has it's speed limiter set to
    30.0mph instead of 29.0mph.

    DVD's resolution sucks. That it is less noisy and has more accurate color
    playback doesn't change that.

    TCS, May 12, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    TCS <> writes:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    >>"Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    >>> All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image

    >>than
    >>> a DVD?

    >>No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

    > Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.

    PAL laserdisks aren't any different -- DVD is still better.
    For HiDefinition formats, that is different.

    John

    John S. Dyson, May 12, 2004
  9. Curtin/Dobbs

    Biz Guest

    "TCS" <> wrote in message
    > 30.0mph instead of 29.0mph.
    >
    > DVD's resolution sucks. That it is less noisy and has more accurate color
    > playback doesn't change that.

    Sucks compared to what? HDTV that wasnt really even around yet? Why would
    anyone come out with a super duper high-res media when there would have been
    little or no market for it at the time? Besides D-VHS, what other portable
    format that is for sale today is better than DVD?

    Biz, May 12, 2004
  10. Curtin/Dobbs

    TCS Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:24:24 +0000 (UTC), John S. Dyson <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    > TCS <> writes:
    >> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
    >> On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    >>>"Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    >>>than

    >>>No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

    >> Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.
    >>

    >PAL laserdisks aren't any different -- DVD is still better.
    >For HiDefinition formats, that is different.

    Yes, DVD is better. But it isn't "far superior". It's only a little
    better.

    Wait till HDTV, or it's successor and then go compare LD to DVD.
    Frankly, I'm not all that impressed with HDTV either. Too little
    too late, like ISDN.

    Or go outside, make your way to a decent movie theater, and watch
    a film. Then compare that to DVD and LD.

    TCS, May 12, 2004
  11. Curtin/Dobbs

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "TCS" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:25:36 -0700, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    > >"TCS" <> wrote in message
    > >> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]

    image

    > >> Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.

    > >Irrelevant, the advantages listed above are quantitative and independent

    of
    > >the playback device.

    > Not irrelevent at all. DVD can't be considered "superior" when it is

    hampered
    > by the exact same limitations as LD. It's like saying that sports car B
    > is "far superior" to sports car A because it has it's speed limiter set to
    > 30.0mph instead of 29.0mph.
    >
    > DVD's resolution sucks. That it is less noisy and has more accurate color
    > playback doesn't change that.

    The question involved a comparison between DVD and LD. Your independent
    opinion of DVD in general is noted, but is still irrelevant.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, May 12, 2004
  12. Curtin/Dobbs

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "TCS" <> wrote in message

    > Yes, DVD is better. But it isn't "far superior". It's only a little
    > better.
    >
    > Wait till HDTV, or it's successor and then go compare LD to DVD.
    > Frankly, I'm not all that impressed with HDTV either. Too little
    > too late, like ISDN.
    >
    > Or go outside, make your way to a decent movie theater, and watch
    > a film. Then compare that to DVD and LD.

    Yeah, ok, we can see that your expectations are realistic. ;)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, May 12, 2004
  13. >Its a tough question especially since all things can never be equal when
    >comparing CAV LDs(analog) to DVD(digital). 1st of all, DVDs have up to
    >720x480/720x576 resolution, which was not possible with LDs. Personally, I
    >have never seen a well done DVD that did not outperform a well done LD...

    Also consider that LD, standard play or extended play, is composite video. DVD
    is color separate component video. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, May 12, 2004
  14. Curtin/Dobbs

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "TCS" <> wrote in message

    image
    > >than
    > >> a DVD?

    > >No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

    > Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.

    Your answer is a non-sequitor. DVD and laserdisc are both NTSC, and of
    the two DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

    Joshua Zyber, May 13, 2004
  15. Curtin/Dobbs

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "TCS" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, DVD is better. But it isn't "far superior". It's only a little
    > better.
    >
    > Wait till HDTV, or it's successor and then go compare LD to DVD.
    > Frankly, I'm not all that impressed with HDTV either. Too little
    > too late, like ISDN.
    >
    > Or go outside, make your way to a decent movie theater, and watch
    > a film. Then compare that to DVD and LD.

    In a bad mood today, are we?

    Joshua Zyber, May 13, 2004
  16. Curtin/Dobbs

    Karyudo Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:21:40 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >Your answer is a non-sequitor. DVD and laserdisc are both NTSC, and of
    >the two DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

    I like people who can use "non-sequitur" correctly in a sentence. And
    who can write a succinct and correct answer. Nicely done!

    Karyudo, May 13, 2004
  17. Curtin/Dobbs

    Richard C. Guest

    No!

    =========
    "Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    : All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image
    than
    : a DVD?
    :
    : Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs
    :
    :

    Richard C., May 13, 2004
  18. Curtin/Dobbs

    TCS Guest

    Yes! Just pick a movie that isn't available on DVD.

    TCS, May 13, 2004
  19. In article <>,
    Karyudo <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:21:40 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Your answer is a non-sequitor. DVD and laserdisc are both NTSC, and of
    > >the two DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

    > I like people who can use "non-sequitur" correctly in a sentence. And
    > who can write a succinct and correct answer. Nicely done!

    Agree, except to note that non sequitur shouldn't be hyphenated.

    Paul Jepperson, May 13, 2004
  20. Curtin/Dobbs

    Smaug69 Guest

    TCS <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    > >"Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    > >> All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image

    > than
    > >> a DVD?

    > >No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

    > Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.

    Uh, someone asked about Laserdisc and DVD so NTSC is the only consideration here.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, May 13, 2004