    both use the same technology or did each manufacturer somehow make
    their cards proprietary?
    , Apr 3, 2006

  2. Guest

    The big difference is that they have a little bit of programming in the
    card (in the header, the thing that identifies the card to the camera)
    that says "I'm Olympus" or "I'm Fuji". It's to try to force you buy a
    card with the same brand as your camera to prevent market competition -
    an Olympus camera won't allow you to use it's "Panorama" function
    unless the card says "I'm Olympus"; no doubt Fuji has been similarly
    stupid with some function or another. It's so idiotic it's laughable -
    would you buy a car that wouldn't play the radio or defrost the windows
    if you used GM rather than Ford brand gasoline?

    Fujifilm as a company right now is selling quite a bit of product based
    on the technologically well designed cameras they're producing, but I
    can only imagine how much better they'd do if they'd drop the insulting
    (to their customers) expensive and slow proprietary card format and go
    with something like SD. Fujifilm's engineers must get a lot of ulcers.
    , Apr 3, 2006

  3. Annika1980 Guest

    Doesn't matter to me.
    Annika1980, Apr 3, 2006
  4. Ralph D. Guest

    I'm a newbie to digital cameras, but... I bought the Olympus M cards and
    they seem to be working just fine in my Fuji.

    I went scouring Ebay, too, but found out that right now there are a lot of
    non-rebate specials going around the various retailers that get a good card
    cheaper than what I could find at Ebay. Last week I picked up a 512 M style
    at OfficeMax for $30 no rebate (or maybe the week before) and had a friend
    mention that she just bought one somewhere else for $35.

    I haven't gone through all the BestBuy or * Office Supply sites this weekend
    to know if any of them have it again or not. Several weeks ago Circuit City
    had 1G Olympus M style for $40 or $50 with no rebate, but were sold out by
    the time I got around to ordering.

    Ralph D., Apr 3, 2006
  5. Wombatwal Guest

    Fuji, Olympus makes no difference, just go for cheapest.

    Wombatwal, Apr 3, 2006