    Thanks,
    Ron

    , Nov 13, 2006

  2. Cgiorgio Guest

    Image stabilizers are using "gyro sensors" to detect angular movement of the
    camera. Some of them use rotating parts, others are solid state gyro
    sensors, all rely on inertial forces. The sensors output a signal indicating
    the movement to a processor which in turn drives some form of motor to move
    optical parts or the image sensor in the camera for compensation.

    Cgiorgio, Nov 13, 2006

  3. Guest

    Cgiorgio wrote:
    > Image stabilizers are using "gyro sensors" to detect angular movement of the
    > camera. Some of them use rotating parts, others are solid state gyro
    > sensors, all rely on inertial forces. The sensors output a signal indicating
    > the movement to a processor which in turn drives some form of motor to move
    > optical parts or the image sensor in the camera for compensation.

    Do the ones that rotate sell on the higher-end equipment or the lower
    end?

    Thanks,
    Ron

    , Nov 13, 2006
  4. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    In the case of Pentax K100D and K10D they use magnets.

    Hebee Jeebes, Nov 13, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > If you put your ear or maybe a stethoscope up to a camera or lens with
    > IS can you hear a whir? Is that how they work - little gimbals?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ron

    They don't need to have spinning parts. Gyroscopes are used for
    ultra-sensitive motion detection. A lens can use accelerometers.

    The Canon 70-300 DO IS lens makes noise but it's probably dithered motor
    control to eliminate the need for bulky and inefficient analog power
    amplifiers. It resembles the sound that the tracking motors on some CD
    player lenses make, but deeper.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Nov 13, 2006
  6. Cgiorgio Guest

    Solid state gyro - sensors are just later technology, probably cheaper to
    make, have possibly a longer lifespan (which does not help when the system
    life is limited by other components) and can be built smaller. Power
    requirements may also be lower for solid state, but it really has nothing to
    do with "high end" or "low end".

    Cgiorgio, Nov 13, 2006
  7. Guest

    Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

    > The Canon 70-300 DO IS lens makes noise but it's probably dithered motor
    > control to eliminate the need for bulky and inefficient analog power
    > amplifiers. It resembles the sound that the tracking motors on some CD
    > player lenses make, but deeper.

    I shouldn't be disappointed, but for some reason I wanted them to use
    gyroscopes.
    I am glad they at least make noise.

    Thanks for the information,
    Ron

    , Nov 13, 2006
  8. Bryan Olson Guest

    wrote:
    > Cgiorgio wrote:
    >> Image stabilizers are using "gyro sensors" to detect angular movement of the
    >> camera. Some of them use rotating parts, others are solid state gyro
    >> sensors, all rely on inertial forces. The sensors output a signal indicating
    >> the movement to a processor which in turn drives some form of motor to move
    >> optical parts or the image sensor in the camera for compensation.
    >>

    > Do the ones that rotate sell on the higher-end equipment or the lower
    > end?

    If mechanically rotating gyro sensors are in use at all, they're on
    the very, outlandishly, exotically high end.

    --
    --Bryan

    Bryan Olson, Nov 13, 2006
  9. Bryan Olson Guest

    Hebee Jeebes wrote:
    > In the case of Pentax K100D and K10D they use magnets.

    O.K.; they use magnets.
    For what, and what does it have to do with the question here?

    --
    --Bryan

    Bryan Olson, Nov 13, 2006
  10. Bryan Olson <> wrote:
    : Hebee Jeebes wrote:
    : > In the case of Pentax K100D and K10D they use magnets.

    : O.K.; they use magnets.
    : For what, and what does it have to do with the question here?

    A magnet suspended between several springs will sense the movement of the
    camera. The magnet tries to remain in place when the camera moves. If this
    magnet then is moving in a coil of wire (the coil is attached to the
    camera, while the magnet is floating) a small voltage is induced in the
    coil that the camera can use to sense direction and speed of motion. There
    are other more solid state devices (such as using the Hall effect) but
    this is the easiest to describe and explain.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Nov 13, 2006
  11. Bryan Olson Guest

    Randy Berbaum wrote:
    > Bryan Olson <> wrote:
    > : Hebee Jeebes wrote:
    > : > In the case of Pentax K100D and K10D they use magnets.
    >
    > : O.K.; they use magnets.
    > : For what, and what does it have to do with the question here?
    >
    > A magnet suspended between several springs will sense the movement of the
    > camera. The magnet tries to remain in place when the camera moves. If this
    > magnet then is moving in a coil of wire (the coil is attached to the
    > camera, while the magnet is floating) a small voltage is induced in the
    > coil that the camera can use to sense direction and speed of motion.

    No, that's wrong. You've described a system to detect translational
    acceleration, not angular movement. That is not how it works, and
    that would not work.

    Magnetic coils move the image sensor to compensate for pitch and
    yaw. The question was about detecting the angular motion.

    > There
    > are other more solid state devices (such as using the Hall effect) but
    > this is the easiest to describe and explain.

    Easy to explain, but wrong.

    --
    --Bryan

    Bryan Olson, Nov 13, 2006
  12. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > If you put your ear or maybe a stethoscope up to a camera or lens with
    > IS can you hear a whir? Is that how they work - little gimbals?

    Nah, it's the air conditioning for the little blighters who do all the
    operations inside. Don't you know computers are a myth? If you look
    inside any computer it's not electrical switches, it's little guys and
    gals doing the work.

    Stewy, Nov 13, 2006
  13. m Ransley Guest

    The sony H5 is noisy, a staticky kind of constant noise I hear easily.

    m Ransley, Nov 13, 2006
  14. On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:38:55 +0900, Stewy <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    >> If you put your ear or maybe a stethoscope up to a camera or lens with
    >> IS can you hear a whir? Is that how they work - little gimbals?
    >>

    > Nah, it's the air conditioning for the little blighters who do all the
    > operations inside. Don't you know computers are a myth? If you look
    > inside any computer it's not electrical switches, it's little guys and
    > gals doing the work.

    No, that's not right. The whir is the spinning of the hamster wheel that
    powers the camera (and all other modern electronic devices).

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 13, 2006
  15. acl Guest

    Randy Berbaum wrote:
    > are other more solid state devices (such as using the Hall effect) but

    What you described is a device for measuring linear acceleration. How
    could you measure it using the Hall effect?

    Or was the idea to use the Hall effect to measure change in a magnetic
    field and therefore the motion of the magnets above (ie replace the
    springs with something using the H effect)?

    acl, Nov 13, 2006
  16. acl Guest

    Bryan Olson wrote:

    > No, that's wrong. You've described a system to detect translational
    > acceleration, not angular movement. That is not how it works, and
    > that would not work.

    Well, you could have one such detector on the top of the camera and one
    on the bottom. Then you'd be able to find the angular acceleration about
    one axis. And with two more, another axis.

    I don't think this is how it's done, though (but have no clue, maybe it is).

    acl, Nov 13, 2006
  17. say now Guest

    There's an image sensor in the lens ? Try again.

    say now, Nov 13, 2006
  18. Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:28:12 GMT, Daniel Silevitch
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:38:55 +0900, Stewy <> wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> "" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you put your ear or maybe a stethoscope up to a camera or lens with
    >>> IS can you hear a whir? Is that how they work - little gimbals?
    >>>

    >> Nah, it's the air conditioning for the little blighters who do all the
    >> operations inside. Don't you know computers are a myth? If you look
    >> inside any computer it's not electrical switches, it's little guys and
    >> gals doing the work.

    >No, that's not right. The whir is the spinning of the hamster wheel that
    >powers the camera (and all other modern electronic devices).
    >
    >-dms

    You're both wrong.
    All electronic devices run on smoke.
    If the smoke escapes, the device no longer works.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Nov 13, 2006
  19. Bryan Olson <> writes:

    > wrote:
    >> If you put your ear or maybe a stethoscope up to a camera or lens with
    >> IS can you hear a whir? Is that how they work - little gimbals?

    > If you're listening for gyroscopes in a Canon, Nikon, Pentax, or
    > Minolta/Sony image-stabilization system, no, you won't hear them.
    > The gyro sensors are electronic devices with no moving mechanical
    > parts.
    >
    > Outside the gyro sensors, the systems do move some element, to
    > compensate for pitch and yaw. Don't know whether the mounts are
    > properly "gimbals".
    >
    > Do they whir? Having neither an IS lens/body nor a stethoscope
    > handy, I can't say for sure. I'd guess not, but I've been
    > surprised by noises from various tech gadgets.

    My Canon IS lens makes a slight whir. I'm guessing the sound is made
    by whatever is moving the glass around, not by the motion sensors.

    --
    Måns Rullgård

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Nov 13, 2006
  20. Guest

    say now wrote:
    > There's an image sensor in the lens ? Try again.

    No, but there is an image sensor in the body. Pentax has image
    stabilization in the body, not in the lens (unlike, say, Canon).

    -Gniewko

    , Nov 13, 2006