does HD-DVD use red-laser or blue-laser ?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by videogamedude@gmail.com, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I don't mean any HD-DVD, I mean *the* HD-DVD format, by NEC, Toshiba
    (and Microsoft?) the main competitor to Blu-Ray.

    does HD-DVD use red laser or does it use blue laser ? obviously the
    'Blu-Ray' format uses blue laser / blue light laser. etc.

    also, I read somewhere that, blue laser systems have been demoed at CES
    for the last 5 years.

    can anyone tell me about the different then-emerging High-Definition
    DVD formats (not specifically HD-DVD) that were proposed, shown,
    developed, etc. say between 1995-96 (when DVD came out) and 2002,
    before HD-DVD and Blu-Ray emerged as the two standards ? it seems
    that Blu-Ray was announced in early 2002. but as I said, there were
    various blue-laser systems being proposed/shown before Blu-Ray came
    about.

    I also remember that in 1994-1995, there were two competing DVD
    formats, that eventually merged.

    finally, in general, tell me if I have this straight. the CD / Compact
    Disc, was patented in the mid 1960s, developed in the early 1970s,
    became available to consumers in the early 1980s.

    the Video CD (MPEG-1) was developed in the mid 1980s. DVD I am
    guessing was developed in the late 1980s, if not the early 1990s. then
    the various high-definition DVD formats were being developed in the mid
    to late 1990s, and started to emerge in the early part of this
    decade, becoming avaliable to consumers in the middle part of this
    decade (HD-DVD, Blu-Ray) .....

    , Apr 15, 2005

  2. Alpha Guest

    They both use blue wavelength lasers.

    Alpha, Apr 15, 2005

  3. Black Locust Guest

    Also, please tell me Sony isn't going to call this format "Blu-Ray"? Ok,
    so we have CD, DVD, VHS and... Blu-Ray?! How the **** is the average Joe
    even supposed to know what that is? HD-DVD works fine and is about as
    accurate a name as you can give the format, but Sony better think of a
    better name for their disc before they put it on store shelves...

    Black Locust, Apr 15, 2005
  4. Alpha Guest

    Come on....its very sci-fi .....Blu RAY....

    Alpha, Apr 15, 2005
  5. chrisv Guest

    wrote:

    >I don't mean any HD-DVD, I mean *the* HD-DVD format, by NEC, Toshiba
    >(and Microsoft?) the main competitor to Blu-Ray.

    Of course blue. The reason for the "color"is that blue has a short
    wavelength, relative to the rest of the visible spectrum, so it
    suffers less from diffraction effects, so it can resolve smaller
    details. Red, which is at the long-wavelength end of the visible
    spectrum, would going the wrong way.

    Ever wonder why the most powerful microscopes use X-rays? Same reason
    - the much-shorter wavelength, compared with visible light, allows
    much-smaller details to be resolved.

    chrisv, Apr 15, 2005
  6. Alan Figgatt Guest

    Black Locust wrote:
    > Also, please tell me Sony isn't going to call this format "Blu-Ray"? Ok,
    > so we have CD, DVD, VHS and... Blu-Ray?! How the **** is the average Joe
    > even supposed to know what that is? HD-DVD works fine and is about as
    > accurate a name as you can give the format, but Sony better think of a
    > better name for their disc before they put it on store shelves...

    A large part of the reason that Sony is not using DVD in their product
    name is that if they used DVD, they would have to pay royalties to the
    companies that own parts of the DVD copyrights. Blu-Ray is a technically
    superior standard to HD-DVD - higher storage capacity, easier to
    implement recordable and rewritable disks due to 0.1 mm layer depth as
    opposed to DVD's 0.8 mm - but is also different enough in design so the
    Blu-Ray companies don't pay as much in royalties to NEC & Toshiba
    (backers of HD-DVD - no surprise there) for Blu-Ray technologies. The
    drawback to Blu-Ray from the manufacturing side is that it will cost
    more to convert plants to producing Blu-Ray disks than HD-DVD. The
    consumer will have to buy new players for either high def disk format,
    most of which will presumably be able to play DVDs, so you will to spend
    money either way.

    The only good way out of this format war for the consumer that I can
    see is if the HD-DVD forum adopts the Blu-Ray technology in return for
    Sony dropping the Blu-Ray name & product line. All the major players
    would benefit by divvying up the royalties and increased sales due to a
    single format.

    Alan F

    Alan Figgatt, Apr 15, 2005
  7. Guest

    yep, I do realize blue laser is much superior to red laser. I asked
    the question because, I *thought* I had read somewhere that HD-DVD (aka
    AOD or Advanced Optical Disc) by Toshiba and NEC used the same red
    laser that current DVD used, and that's why HD-DVD players could play
    standard DVDs out of the box. my former belief that AOD / HD-DVD used
    red-laser was more solidified because I kept hearing that AOD / HD-DVD
    was inferior to Blu-Ray.

    I *now* realize that HD-DVD does not use red laser, but in fact, blue
    laser, like Blu Ray, even though Blu Ray is still superior in most if
    not all ways compared to AOD / HD-DVD.

    , Apr 15, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    Black Locust <> wrote:
    >Also, please tell me Sony isn't going to call this format "Blu-Ray"? Ok,
    >so we have CD, DVD, VHS and... Blu-Ray?! How the **** is the average Joe
    >even supposed to know what that is? HD-DVD works fine and is about as
    >accurate a name as you can give the format, but Sony better think of a
    >better name for their disc before they put it on store shelves...

    Sony is not the only company using the Blu-Ray standard. And
    there are several companies using the HD-DVD standard, which are
    just two of at least five standards for high-definition on DVD type
    devices.

    In China there are three standards competing to be the
    next-generation DVD. EVD [Enhanced Versatile Disc], HDV
    [High-Definition Video], and HVD [ High-Definition Versatile
    Disc].

    If you think people would be confused by HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray
    imagine trying to keep HDV and HVD straight - and what about those
    who make typos.

    Then the Industrial Technical Research Institute in Tawain which
    developed HD-DVD has also introduced FDV [Forward Versatile Disc]

    So there are give standards for high-definition video disks.
    It looks like it will come down to either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, but
    considering the huge population in China one of their standards
    could emerge also. 80% of the DVD players in the world are made in
    China - and one reason they have for changing the standards is
    to avoid the royalties being paid on each DVD player manufactured
    which comes to over $10/unit as I recall. That's 1/3 the price
    of the lowest priced DVD players seen in the USofA.

    I found this [and lots of other developments in the ever changing
    world of electronics] at http://neasia.nikkeibp.com which is
    NEAsia Online.

    As the old saying goes "the nice thing about standards is we have
    so many from which to choose".

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Apr 15, 2005
  9. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >yep, I do realize blue laser is much superior to red laser. I asked
    >the question because, I *thought* I had read somewhere that HD-DVD (aka
    >AOD or Advanced Optical Disc) by Toshiba and NEC used the same red
    >laser that current DVD used, and that's why HD-DVD players could play
    >standard DVDs out of the box. my former belief that AOD / HD-DVD used
    >red-laser was more solidified because I kept hearing that AOD / HD-DVD
    >was inferior to Blu-Ray.

    As I recall - and can't point you to where I read it at the moment
    - even though they both use light in the red area of the spectrum
    they are using different frequencies/wave-lengths/lambdas.

    >I *now* realize that HD-DVD does not use red laser, but in fact, blue
    >laser, like Blu Ray, even though Blu Ray is still superior in most if
    >not all ways compared to AOD / HD-DVD.

    We shall have to see if the superior format wins - and depending on
    which side of the fence you view the arguments either side could be
    superior depending upon your needs. One is more extensible - one
    if more compatible with current manufacturing modes.

    If the bean-counters makes the choices then it would definately be
    HD-DVD, but if the engineers made the choices it would probably
    be Blu-Ray.

    Just as the vastly superior Beta format killed Quasar VX cartridge
    tape format [aka The Great Time Machine] and the Sanyo V-Cord,
    the much cheaper VHS format eventually did in the Beta in
    North America [while it survived as the leader in other parts of
    the world for a very long time]. As I recall the VX format went
    under first and it's cartridges were HUGE in comparison to all
    others. I've only seen the tapes for one but never the machines.

    As consumers we are eventually stuck with what choices the money
    people make.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Apr 15, 2005
  10. chrisv Guest

    Bill Vermillion wrote:

    >the much cheaper VHS format eventually did in the Beta in
    >North America

    But was VHS inherantly cheaper to make, or was it because Sony kept
    Beta to itself, and kept prices high to make more money?

    chrisv, Apr 15, 2005
  11. Joshua Zyber Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > yep, I do realize blue laser is much superior to red laser. I asked
    > the question because, I *thought* I had read somewhere that HD-DVD
    > (aka
    > AOD or Advanced Optical Disc) by Toshiba and NEC used the same red
    > laser that current DVD used, and that's why HD-DVD players could play
    > standard DVDs out of the box. my former belief that AOD / HD-DVD used
    > red-laser was more solidified because I kept hearing that AOD / HD-DVD
    > was inferior to Blu-Ray.

    The original plan was for HD-DVD to use a red laser, but they eventually
    changed to blue.

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 15, 2005
  12. Guest Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > yep, I do realize blue laser is much superior to red laser. I asked
    > the question because, I *thought* I had read somewhere that HD-DVD (aka
    > AOD or Advanced Optical Disc) by Toshiba and NEC used the same red
    > laser that current DVD used, and that's why HD-DVD players could play
    > standard DVDs out of the box. my former belief that AOD / HD-DVD used
    > red-laser was more solidified because I kept hearing that AOD / HD-DVD
    > was inferior to Blu-Ray.
    >
    > I *now* realize that HD-DVD does not use red laser, but in fact, blue
    > laser, like Blu Ray, even though Blu Ray is still superior in most if
    > not all ways compared to AOD / HD-DVD.

    One of the issues that has to be addressed is how the Blu-Ray or HD players
    will manage to play ordinary DVDs, not to mention CDs. I realize that this
    is not much of an issue to audio/videophiles. We can easily keep these
    things straight. If necessary we will simply add another player for Blu-
    Ray. But the general public doesn't see it our way. When high definition
    players come on the market they are going to insist that the same player
    play any 12cm disc they throw at it.

    It seems to be the nature of videophiles to insist on the most advanced
    technology possible. That's why they all seem to be on the Blue-Ray
    bandwagon. However, my guess is that HD-DVD will be the winner because it
    will be easier and cheaper to make universal players. I'll be happy to be
    proven wrong, but that's the way I see it right now.

    Norm Strong

    Guest, Apr 15, 2005
  13. In article <>,
    chrisv <> wrote:
    >Bill Vermillion wrote:

    >>the much cheaper VHS format eventually did in the Beta in
    >>North America

    >But was VHS inherantly cheaper to make, or was it because Sony kept
    >Beta to itself, and kept prices high to make more money?

    As I recall the licensing on VHS was lower. Sony invented VHS but
    didn't like it and moved on to Beta. Sony did NOT keep Beta to
    itself. Other manufacturers made Beta machines and I had
    an NEC that was had gorgeous pictures - as it also had
    the SB1 - Super Beta 1 - that Sony had in their high-end machines
    like my SL-1000 and perhaps the 900 series also.

    All the Zenith Beta machines were made by Sony, but there were
    several others who made their own machines too. It's been over
    25 years so my memory is a bit hazy.

    And a comment on Sony making money. When VHS was at 90% sales
    Sony was the only company selling Beta machines in the US.
    However there were dozens of brands of VHS machines, so Sony
    was selling more Beta machines than any individual company [except
    maybe the largest] was selling VHS.

    I always wanted the highest quality video for my recordings of
    films from cable - so Beta was the choice for me. I didn't rent
    nor did I buy commercial videos. The one rare execption was
    when Magnetic Video leased 50 titles from 20Th Century Fox and I
    bought a very expensive copy of The Day The Earth Stood Still.

    MV had an idea that selling pre-recorded video might have a market.
    So the 50 title leased from 20th was an experiment, and most
    people in the film business didn't think it would survive.

    The film industry not understanding movie fans who wanted
    to own their own copies was what kept prices high so they could be
    rented. After all theatres 'rented' the films so why shouldn't
    home viewers. Only after a few dropped the prices down to
    'sell-through' did they realize the market, and then DVD finally
    showed them that people would buy if the prices were low enough.

    Going direct to DVD is certainly far cheaper than producing a lot
    of prints and then shipping them around. [sorry for the drift]

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Apr 16, 2005
  14. Alpha Guest

    "Bill Vermillion" <> wrote in message news:...
    > In article <>,
    > chrisv <> wrote:
    >>Bill Vermillion wrote:

    >>>the much cheaper VHS format eventually did in the Beta in
    >>>North America

    >>But was VHS inherantly cheaper to make, or was it because Sony kept
    >>Beta to itself, and kept prices high to make more money?

    > As I recall the licensing on VHS was lower. Sony invented VHS

    No, they did not. It was JVC.

    Alpha, Apr 17, 2005
  15. Black Locust Guest

    In article <yST7e.10168$>,
    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    > The original plan was for HD-DVD to use a red laser, but they eventually
    > changed to blue.

    This has me a bit urked. Since both formats are now using blue lasers,
    that means the players for both formats will require a second laser
    assembly to play standard DVDs, correct? Naturally, the first players on
    the market will be backwards compatible as they'll have to do everything
    in their power to try to encourage people to buy into the new formats.
    But assuming one of the HD formats does eventually manage to "replace"
    regular DVD, I fear they'll eventually stop including second laser
    assembly to save on production costs. *sigh*

    Black Locust, Apr 17, 2005
  16. Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Alpha" <> wrote:

    > No, they did not. It was JVC.

    Actually, JVC did not. Their shitty engineers couldn't invent tooth
    paste. VHS's core design was originally developed by Sony before they
    determined it was not up to their standards and abandoned it for the
    superior Betamax design. JVC then snatched it up and continued to
    develop it for the next year or so before finally releasing it to the
    market in 1976(2 years after Sony had already gotten Betamax on store
    shelves). Rather ironic that the format that Sony originally developed
    ended up killing Betamax in the end. Maybe Sony should have just stuck
    with the shitty VHS model...

    Black Locust, Apr 17, 2005
  17. Alpha Guest

    > In article <>,
    > "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >
    >> No, they did not. It was JVC.

    > Actually, JVC did not. Their shitty engineers couldn't invent tooth
    > paste. VHS's core design was originally developed by Sony before they
    > determined it was not up to their standards and abandoned it for the
    > superior Betamax design. JVC then snatched it up and continued to
    > develop it for the next year or so before finally releasing it to the
    > market in 1976(2 years after Sony had already gotten Betamax on store
    > shelves). Rather ironic that the format that Sony originally developed
    > ended up killing Betamax in the end. Maybe Sony should have just stuck
    > with the shitty VHS model...
    > --
    > "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.
    > They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
    > people,
    > and neither do we." - George Dumbya Bush

    Document or shut up.

    Alpha, Apr 17, 2005
  18. In article <>,
    chrisv <> wrote:

    >Of course blue.

    Actually blue-violet, I believe.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 17, 2005
  19. In article <>,
    Black Locust <> wrote:

    >In article <yST7e.10168$>,
    > "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:
    >
    >> The original plan was for HD-DVD to use a red laser, but they eventually
    >> changed to blue.

    >This has me a bit rked. Since both formats are now using blue lasers,
    >that means the players for both formats will require a second laser
    >assembly to play standard DVDs, correct?

    DVDs use red lasers, CDs use infrared. Since all the DVD drives I've
    seen can also handle CDs, doesn't this mean they already have two lasers?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Apr 17, 2005
  20. In article <>, Alpha <> wrote:

    >"Bill Vermillion" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> In article <>,
    >> chrisv <> wrote:

    >>>But was VHS inherantly cheaper to make, or was it because Sony kept
    >>>Beta to itself, and kept prices high to make more money?

    >> As I recall the licensing on VHS was lower. Sony invented VHS

    >No, they did not. It was JVC.

    As I recall it, Sony invented it, and discarded the concept, and
    then JVC went on to develop it with the current specs in use today.
    The VHS was somewhat patterned after the U-matic that Sony
    announced in 1969 and introducedin 1972, but with 1/2"
    tape instead of 3/4" tape. As I recall the time line was Sony
    developed/invented VHS in 1974/5, never even marketed it, and
    went on to releast the Beta in 1975.

    I then see [Camras - Magnetic Recording - ISBN 0-442-26262-0]
    That Toshiba and Sanyo both brought out V-Cord machine in 1976,
    the year after Betamax first hit - which was only availabe in a
    console with a 19" TV set for about $2500. JVC finishes
    development of VHS in 1976. [An interesting side note is that I
    see and that time line that Sony released a 'magnetic camera'
    recording images on small floppies in that year. I didn't realize
    that electronic imagining for consumers went back that far - but
    I'm assuming it was an analog video format].

    When I got my Beta machine it had a serial number of just about
    30,000, and the estimates were that at that time there were 50,000
    households with VCRs. Those included the Cartrivision, The Quasar
    VS, Sanyo V-Cord, Betamax and the new VHS which had been on the
    market for about 2 months. I never dreamed VCRs would become so
    commmon. That was the same year I got my first home computer too.

    I'll try to see if I can find where that may be documented. The
    trouble with online searches is that the original documents aren't
    often on line, just new versions/recolletions that have only
    been net-reachable for the last 10 years. And I threw out
    all my video magazines from that era in the mid-1980s for lack of
    room :-(

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com