Does Gateway STINK???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kenny, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. kenny

    woo Guest

    Om_Audio , wrote in message
    :
    > I really didn't need to go there but did. I wish people would not
    > post that sort of thing. Jeeze.
    >
    > om
    >
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> Slack wrote:

    >>> When I think of Gayway, I think of my girl, tub
    >>> http://momtartin.tripod.com/trevor/thumbnails/400x300/tubgirl.jpg

    >> I almost clicked on your link, but then something in my head said
    >> "no, you don't want to go there". I think I've seen it before.

    A link was posted. You did the rest. So the posting of a link is irrelevant
    to your likes, dislikes and preferences if it is that curiosity gets the
    better of you. That is nobody's fault but your own, you tosser.

    woo, Nov 29, 2005

  2. kenny

    SgtMinor Guest

    Larry Crites wrote:
    > Forget Consumer Reports. They don't know how to test anything.

    <snip>

    What a preciously ignorant comment.

    SgtMinor, Nov 29, 2005

  3. kenny

    Plato Guest

    Slack wrote:

    > I was recently and pleasantly surprised to get excellent CS from Dell.
    > My 24" LCD landed on my dock looking like it was literally dragged
    > behind the UPS truck: cracked bezel visible without even opening the

    For a bit I was a partner in a web based pc builder/seller company. We
    used to do the "UPS" test, ie drop the packed pc off a loading dock 3
    times and then unpack and see if it still worked.

    Perhaps now, if I was going into the same business again, one would have
    to drive your SUV at 25 MPH into the box and drag it down the street for
    1/4 of a mile :)

    Oddly, I currently have a small side business which ships CDs. No
    problem for USA mail, but when shipping a single CD over the pond it
    seems to always get cracked. Had to put in EXTREME packing to fix it.
    Ever try to break a CD? It aint easy.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 29, 2005
  4. kenny

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:438c8fdf$0$225$,
    Plato spewed forth:
    > Slack wrote:
    >>
    >> I was recently and pleasantly surprised to get excellent CS from
    >> Dell. My 24" LCD landed on my dock looking like it was literally
    >> dragged behind the UPS truck: cracked bezel visible without even
    >> opening the

    > For a bit I was a partner in a web based pc builder/seller company. We
    > used to do the "UPS" test, ie drop the packed pc off a loading dock 3
    > times and then unpack and see if it still worked.
    >
    > Perhaps now, if I was going into the same business again, one would
    > have to drive your SUV at 25 MPH into the box and drag it down the
    > street for 1/4 of a mile :)
    >
    > Oddly, I currently have a small side business which ships CDs. No
    > problem for USA mail, but when shipping a single CD over the pond it
    > seems to always get cracked. Had to put in EXTREME packing to fix it.
    > Ever try to break a CD? It aint easy.

    Seriously not easy <g>! They must just dump stuff in on top by the truckload
    to break discs.

    --
    There's nothing more permanent than a temporary tax.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2005
  5. kenny

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Slack spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> In news:,
    >> Alan spewed forth:

    >>> Unfortunately, Its been awhile before I heard a GOOD support story
    >>> from anyone. Tho as the computer geek for many, I generally only
    >>> get called when tech support isnt making sense.

    >> I get good customer service from Dell. Maybe it's because the
    >> company spends $2K to $15K a year there...
    >>

    > I was recently and pleasantly surprised to get excellent CS from Dell.
    > My 24" LCD landed on my dock looking like it was literally dragged
    > behind the UPS truck: cracked bezel visible without even opening the
    > box. I called Dell about an hour after, they placed another order for
    > a replacement... later upgraded the shipping to Next Day without me
    > asking and delivered before I sent the damaged monitor.
    >
    > They sent several emails with their direct phone numbers just in case
    > I wanted to talk to them in person. (I the monitor on my personal
    > account not thru work)
    >
    > I'm still somewhat in shock. My previous experience with them a couple
    > years ago was not good, but looks like they are actually trying to
    > improve their image. Kudos Dell!
    >
    > Now Gateway and Compaq are two companies I'll never, ever do business
    > with again!

    HP customer service really pissed me off recently. I did get satisfaction,
    but it took an unreasonable push to get them to fix the problem. I'm not
    ready to say "never" yet, but I'm certainly quite wary.

    --
    There's nothing more permanent than a temporary tax.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2005
  6. kenny

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Om_Audio spewed forth:
    > I have an 835GM- great system but the optical drives were running in
    > PIO mode and the firewire drives I attached always dissapear. They
    > have very responsive support BUT incompetent inregards to my issues.
    > They said PIO mode was normal (I fixed by removing drive controller
    > and reinstalling) and finally said to reinstall the OS to try and fix
    > the firewire issue. So i got great value on a well built machine but
    > the inability of Gateway to adequately solve these issues is a real
    > let down. On the flipside- i got amazing support for one of their old
    > servers- with very knowledgable experts who stuck with me all the way
    > to get the problems fixed. Maybe it is just the consumer level
    > support that is lacking.

    You know, that could possibly be the case with most of the large OEMs. The
    little guy, buying a system or two every few years, is hardly someone to
    make them enough money that the threat of losing his business would bother
    them.

    --
    There's nothing more permanent than a temporary tax.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2005
  7. kenny

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > > Oddly, I currently have a small side business which ships CDs. No
    > > problem for USA mail, but when shipping a single CD over the pond it
    > > seems to always get cracked. Had to put in EXTREME packing to fix it.
    > > Ever try to break a CD? It aint easy.

    > Seriously not easy <g>! They must just dump stuff in on top by the truckload
    > to break discs.

    Perhhaps it falls off the plane and the next jet hits it going 300MPH.

    Plato, Nov 29, 2005
  8. kenny

    Om_Audio Guest

    No need to be rude.

    Content of that nature should come with a disclaimer or description. That's
    why films have ratings etc.

    Om

    Om_Audio, Nov 29, 2005
  9. kenny

    Dan Evans Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:54:25 +0100, "Dan Evans"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"kenny" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> What are you peoples opinions about gateway?

    >>Shite.
    >>
    >>Dan
    >>

    > Succinct!
    > Nobidy accusing you of mincing words.
    > I agree with your profound opinion however.

    I try not to get too technical.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 29, 2005
  10. kenny

    woo Guest

    Om_Audio , wrote in message
    :
    > No need to be rude.
    >
    > Content of that nature should come with a disclaimer or description.
    > That's why films have ratings etc.

    Farck off yous soft top-posting ****. This group is know for filth porn and
    killin' 'n' shit like dat. Yous should know that. This is one of de hardest
    badassed groups in Usenet.

    Yous don wonna sees shit lark dat darnt click de farkin lank innit?

    So, as I saids befores get fucked with wid a bwoken bokkle! Ye?

    woo, Nov 29, 2005
  11. kenny

    Alan Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Slack wrote:
    >
    >>I was recently and pleasantly surprised to get excellent CS from Dell.
    >>My 24" LCD landed on my dock looking like it was literally dragged
    >>behind the UPS truck: cracked bezel visible without even opening the

    > For a bit I was a partner in a web based pc builder/seller company. We
    > used to do the "UPS" test, ie drop the packed pc off a loading dock 3
    > times and then unpack and see if it still worked.
    >
    > Perhaps now, if I was going into the same business again, one would have
    > to drive your SUV at 25 MPH into the box and drag it down the street for
    > 1/4 of a mile :)
    >
    > Oddly, I currently have a small side business which ships CDs. No
    > problem for USA mail, but when shipping a single CD over the pond it
    > seems to always get cracked. Had to put in EXTREME packing to fix it.
    > Ever try to break a CD? It aint easy.

    I shipped an old/heavy Compaq desktop (p2-350) via USPS with full metal
    case from MA to FL and the case was dented so badly that they had to
    re-seat the riser and all the cards on it to get it to work. If you've
    seen one if these, it AINT easy to bend.

    Alan, Nov 30, 2005
  12. kenny

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Om_Audio" <> wrote in message

    > No need to be rude.
    >
    > Content of that nature should come with a disclaimer or description.
    > That's why films have ratings etc.

    This isn't a film.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 30, 2005