    (or rather the LACK of support).

    What are you peoples opinions about gateway?

    thanks
    kenny, Nov 29, 2005

  2. kenny wrote:
    > A friend of mine has big trouble with this company and its support
    > (or rather the LACK of support).
    >
    > What are you peoples opinions about gateway?

    It's been a long time since I've dealt directly with Gateway for the
    very reasons you mentioned. OTOH, some people swear by them instead of
    at them. Too bad for them, I've gone through a lot of computers over time.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 29, 2005

  3. kenny

    Dan Evans Guest

    "kenny" <> wrote in message

    > What are you peoples opinions about gateway?

    Shite.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 29, 2005
  4. kenny

    Alan Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > kenny wrote:
    >
    >> A friend of mine has big trouble with this company and its support
    >> (or rather the LACK of support).
    >>
    >> What are you peoples opinions about gateway?

    > It's been a long time since I've dealt directly with Gateway for the
    > very reasons you mentioned. OTOH, some people swear by them instead of
    > at them. Too bad for them, I've gone through a lot of computers over time.

    Unfortunately, Its been awhile before I heard a GOOD support story from
    anyone. Tho as the computer geek for many, I generally only get called
    when tech support isnt making sense.
    Alan, Nov 29, 2005
  5. kenny

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Alan spewed forth:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >> kenny wrote:
    >>
    >>> A friend of mine has big trouble with this company and its support
    >>> (or rather the LACK of support).
    >>>
    >>> What are you peoples opinions about gateway?

    >> It's been a long time since I've dealt directly with Gateway for the
    >> very reasons you mentioned. OTOH, some people swear by them instead
    >> of at them. Too bad for them, I've gone through a lot of computers over
    >> time.

    > Unfortunately, Its been awhile before I heard a GOOD support story
    > from anyone. Tho as the computer geek for many, I generally only get
    > called when tech support isnt making sense.

    I get good customer service from Dell. Maybe it's because the company spends
    $2K to $15K a year there...

    --
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
    still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2005
  6. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Alan spewed forth:
    >
    >>Rôgêr wrote:

    >>>It's been a long time since I've dealt directly with Gateway for the
    >>>very reasons you mentioned. OTOH, some people swear by them instead
    >>>of at them. Too bad for them, I've gone through a lot of computers over
    >>>time.

    >>Unfortunately, Its been awhile before I heard a GOOD support story
    >>from anyone. Tho as the computer geek for many, I generally only get
    >>called when tech support isnt making sense.

    > I get good customer service from Dell. Maybe it's because the company spends
    > $2K to $15K a year there...

    I bought a new laptop from them Christmas before last and made the final
    decision on which model because of a $300 rebate. It took seven months
    of arguing with them, threatening them, sending letters to attorneys and
    so forth for them to finally send me the rebate. It was supposed to be
    sent to within 2 weeks.

    By accident I talked with a realtor who bought 2 laptops at about the
    same time from Dell and the last I heard she never got her rebates. She
    was waiting patiently.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 29, 2005
  7. kenny

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Rôgêr spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> Alan spewed forth:

    >>> Unfortunately, Its been awhile before I heard a GOOD support story
    >>> from anyone. Tho as the computer geek for many, I generally only
    >>> get called when tech support isnt making sense.

    >> I get good customer service from Dell. Maybe it's because the
    >> company spends $2K to $15K a year there...

    > I bought a new laptop from them Christmas before last and made the
    > final decision on which model because of a $300 rebate. It took seven
    > months of arguing with them, threatening them, sending letters to
    > attorneys and so forth for them to finally send me the rebate. It was
    > supposed to be sent to within 2 weeks.
    >
    > By accident I talked with a realtor who bought 2 laptops at about the
    > same time from Dell and the last I heard she never got her rebates.
    > She was waiting patiently.

    Patience isn't the best way to handle those.

    Since we're buying on a corporate account, rebates aren't available. But
    when they shipped a laptop without the power adapter, I had one the next
    day. When the NIC went out in the VPs laptop, they were out the next morning
    to replace it. When the HD died in another laptop, I had a new one the next
    day. All combined, I spent less than 30 minutes on the phone to accomplish
    the three repairs. BTW, those were three issues in two years - not bad when
    you consider we have nearly 50 systems. And the truth is, the NIC wasn't
    bad - it was my cabling <g>

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2005
  8. kenny

    ~@~ Guest

    "kenny" <> wrote in message
    > A friend of mine has big trouble with this company and its support
    > (or rather the LACK of support).
    >
    > What are you peoples opinions about gateway?
    >
    > thanks

    Had a Gateway with Win98 for 5 years and it was rock solid. Bought a Dell
    less than 2 years ago with XP and its been the most unstable piece of junk
    I've owned. Chewing gum and walking at the same time is way beyond its
    ability. If it don't crash twice a day.............it ain't a Dell. I'll be
    headed back to Gateway when I've finally had enough of this Hell Computer.
    ~@~, Nov 29, 2005
  9. kenny

    Om_Audio Guest

    I have an 835GM- great system but the optical drives were running in PIO
    mode and the firewire drives I attached always dissapear. They have very
    responsive support BUT incompetent inregards to my issues. They said PIO
    mode was normal (I fixed by removing drive controller and reinstalling) and
    finally said to reinstall the OS to try and fix the firewire issue. So i got
    great value on a well built machine but the inability of Gateway to
    adequately solve these issues is a real let down. On the flipside- i got
    amazing support for one of their old servers- with very knowledgable experts
    who stuck with me all the way to get the problems fixed. Maybe it is just
    the consumer level support that is lacking.

    Om

    Om_Audio, Nov 29, 2005
  10. kenny

    SgtMinor Guest

    kenny wrote:
    > A friend of mine has big trouble with this company and its support
    > (or rather the LACK of support).
    >
    > What are you peoples opinions about gateway?
    >
    > thanks

    In the 2006 Buying Guide, Consumer Reports puts Apple at the top of tech
    support for desktops with a score of 81 out of a hundred. Dell is next
    with 57 and Gateway with 46.

    Gateway needs good tech support. Consumer Reports shows them at or near
    the bottom in terms of repairs required. Over 140,000 computers were
    included in their sample.
    SgtMinor, Nov 29, 2005
  11. kenny

    Om_Audio Guest

    Bottom meaning they needed the most repairs or bottom as in least repairs
    needed?

    Om

    Om_Audio, Nov 29, 2005
  12. kenny

    SgtMinor Guest

    Om_Audio wrote:
    > Bottom meaning they needed the most repairs or bottom as in least repairs
    > needed?
    >
    > Om
    >
    > "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    >> kenny wrote:
    >>> A friend of mine has big trouble with this company and its support
    >>> (or rather the LACK of support).
    >>>
    >>> What are you peoples opinions about gateway?
    >>>
    >>> thanks

    >> In the 2006 Buying Guide, Consumer Reports puts Apple at the top of tech
    >> support for desktops with a score of 81 out of a hundred. Dell is next
    >> with 57 and Gateway with 46.

    That should be Gateway with 56, i.e. no difference with Dell

    >> Gateway needs good tech support. Consumer Reports shows them at or near
    >> the bottom in terms of repairs required. Over 140,000 computers were
    >> included in their sample.

    Co
    SgtMinor, Nov 29, 2005
  13. kenny

    SgtMinor Guest

    Om_Audio wrote:

    > Bottom meaning they needed the most repairs or bottom as in least repairs
    > needed?

    Needed most repairs for desktops; second most repairs in laptops - only
    Compaq was worse.

    SgtMinor, Nov 29, 2005
  14. kenny

    Larry Crites Guest

    Forget Consumer Reports. They don't know how to test anything. And Gateway
    is no good.

    Larry
    Behold Beware Believe

    Larry Crites, Nov 29, 2005
  15. kenny

    Slack Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > In news:,
    > Alan spewed forth:
    >
    >>Rôgêr wrote:

    >>>It's been a long time since I've dealt directly with Gateway for the
    >>>very reasons you mentioned. OTOH, some people swear by them instead
    >>>of at them. Too bad for them, I've gone through a lot of computers over
    >>>time.

    >>Unfortunately, Its been awhile before I heard a GOOD support story
    >>from anyone. Tho as the computer geek for many, I generally only get
    >>called when tech support isnt making sense.

    > I get good customer service from Dell. Maybe it's because the company spends
    > $2K to $15K a year there...

    I was recently and pleasantly surprised to get excellent CS from Dell.
    My 24" LCD landed on my dock looking like it was literally dragged
    behind the UPS truck: cracked bezel visible without even opening the
    box. I called Dell about an hour after, they placed another order for a
    replacement... later upgraded the shipping to Next Day without me asking
    and delivered before I sent the damaged monitor.

    They sent several emails with their direct phone numbers just in case I
    wanted to talk to them in person. (I the monitor on my personal account
    not thru work)

    I'm still somewhat in shock. My previous experience with them a couple
    years ago was not good, but looks like they are actually trying to
    improve their image. Kudos Dell!

    Now Gateway and Compaq are two companies I'll never, ever do business
    with again!
    ______
    Slack
    Slack, Nov 29, 2005
  16. kenny

    Slack Guest

    Slack, Nov 29, 2005
  17. Slack wrote:
    > kenny wrote:
    >
    >> A friend of mine has big trouble with this company and its support
    >> (or rather the LACK of support).
    >>
    >> What are you peoples opinions about gateway?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    > When I think of Gayway, I think of my girl, tub
    > http://momtartin.tripod.com/trevor/thumbnails/400x300/tubgirl.jpg

    I almost clicked on your link, but then something in my head said "no,
    you don't want to go there". I think I've seen it before.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 29, 2005
  18. kenny

    Om_Audio Guest

    I really didn't need to go there but did. I wish people would not post that
    sort of thing. Jeeze.

    om

    Om_Audio, Nov 29, 2005
  19. kenny

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Om_Audio" <> wrote in message

    > I really didn't need to go there but did. I wish people would not post
    > that sort of thing. Jeeze.

    Totally SFW. http://www.bash.org/?434593

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 29, 2005
  20. kenny

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:54:25 +0100, "Dan Evans"
    <> wrote:

    >"kenny" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> What are you peoples opinions about gateway?

    >Shite.
    >
    >Dan

    Succinct!
    Nobidy accusing you of mincing words.
    I agree with your profound opinion however.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Nov 29, 2005