    Updated browser has reintroduced a seven-year-old vulnerability,
    security company claims.

    Matthew Broersma, Techworld.com
    Tuesday, June 07, 2005

    New versions of the Mozilla Foundation's browsers have reintroduced a
    seven-year-old flaw that makes them vulnerable to spoofing attacks,
    security advisory company Secunia says.

    Secunia first publicized the flaw last summer, warning that a feature
    that had been built into most browsers for years was in fact a security
    liability. The firm argued that a feature allowing one Web page to load
    arbitrary content into a frame of another page could allow an attacker
    to, for example, substitute his own login window on a bank's Web site.
    The feature was found in IE, Mozilla, Opera, Safari, and Mozilla
    derivatives such as Konqueror.

    "We believe that it is important that Microsoft and the other vendors
    seriously consider the minor gains from such 'functionality' against the
    possible consequences for their customers," said Secunia CTO Thomas
    Kristensen at the time. "In our opinion, this is a vulnerability and
    should be treated as such, whether the vendors implemented this
    intentionally or not."

    Flaw Returns

    Most browser vendors, including Mozilla, agreed and updated their
    products to remove the feature. But it has been re-introduced in Firefox
    1.0.4, Mozilla 1.7.8, and Camino 0.x, according to the firm. Secunia has
    published an online demonstration of the flaw.

    The new vulnerability is a slight variation of the flaw fixed last year,
    Secunia says.

    The Mozilla Project says it is investigating the report, and a moderator
    of the organization's online support site says the flaw had not been
    exploited. "To protect yourself, close all other windows/tabs before
    accessing a site where you routinely put in a secure password (your bank
    or PayPal account), or your bank or credit card details (e.g. Amazon),
    or other sensitive data," the moderator says.

    Only a handful of other flaws have had an impact reaching across
    browsers and platforms. Another example is a spoofing flaw involving the
    use of international domain names, discovered in browsers such as
    Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera--though not IE--in February.

    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121182,tk,dn060705X,00.asp

    Agent777, Jun 8, 2005

  2. Agent777

    Doug G Guest

    Agent777 wrote:
    > Updated browser has reintroduced a seven-year-old vulnerability,
    > security company claims.
    >
    > Matthew Broersma, Techworld.com
    > Tuesday, June 07, 2005
    >
    > New versions of the Mozilla Foundation's browsers have reintroduced a
    > seven-year-old flaw that makes them vulnerable to spoofing attacks,
    > security advisory company Secunia says.
    >
    > Secunia first publicized the flaw last summer, warning that a feature
    > that had been built into most browsers for years was in fact a security
    > liability. The firm argued that a feature allowing one Web page to load
    > arbitrary content into a frame of another page could allow an attacker
    > to, for example, substitute his own login window on a bank's Web site.
    > The feature was found in IE, Mozilla, Opera, Safari, and Mozilla
    > derivatives such as Konqueror.
    >
    > "We believe that it is important that Microsoft and the other vendors
    > seriously consider the minor gains from such 'functionality' against the
    > possible consequences for their customers," said Secunia CTO Thomas
    > Kristensen at the time. "In our opinion, this is a vulnerability and
    > should be treated as such, whether the vendors implemented this
    > intentionally or not."
    >
    > Flaw Returns
    >
    > Most browser vendors, including Mozilla, agreed and updated their
    > products to remove the feature. But it has been re-introduced in Firefox
    > 1.0.4, Mozilla 1.7.8, and Camino 0.x, according to the firm. Secunia has
    > published an online demonstration of the flaw.
    >
    > The new vulnerability is a slight variation of the flaw fixed last year,
    > Secunia says.
    >
    > The Mozilla Project says it is investigating the report, and a moderator
    > of the organization's online support site says the flaw had not been
    > exploited. "To protect yourself, close all other windows/tabs before
    > accessing a site where you routinely put in a secure password (your bank
    > or PayPal account), or your bank or credit card details (e.g. Amazon),
    > or other sensitive data," the moderator says.
    >
    > Only a handful of other flaws have had an impact reaching across
    > browsers and platforms. Another example is a spoofing flaw involving the
    > use of international domain names, discovered in browsers such as
    > Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera--though not IE--in February.
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121182,tk,dn060705X,00.asp

    Secunia keeps saying there's a flaw in Firefox 1.0.4 and Mozilla 1.7.8,
    but I've been unable to get either to exhibit the flaw with their test
    links. Secunia is sounding like a broken record.

    Doug G, Jun 8, 2005

  3. Doug G wrote:
    > Agent777 wrote:
    >
    >> Updated browser has reintroduced a seven-year-old vulnerability,
    >> security company claims.
    >>
    >> Matthew Broersma, Techworld.com
    >> Tuesday, June 07, 2005
    >>
    >> New versions of the Mozilla Foundation's browsers have reintroduced a
    >> seven-year-old flaw that makes them vulnerable to spoofing attacks,
    >> security advisory company Secunia says.
    >>
    >> Secunia first publicized the flaw last summer, warning that a feature
    >> that had been built into most browsers for years was in fact a
    >> security liability. The firm argued that a feature allowing one Web
    >> page to load arbitrary content into a frame of another page could
    >> allow an attacker to, for example, substitute his own login window on
    >> a bank's Web site. The feature was found in IE, Mozilla, Opera,
    >> Safari, and Mozilla derivatives such as Konqueror.
    >>
    >> "We believe that it is important that Microsoft and the other vendors
    >> seriously consider the minor gains from such 'functionality' against
    >> the possible consequences for their customers," said Secunia CTO
    >> Thomas Kristensen at the time. "In our opinion, this is a
    >> vulnerability and should be treated as such, whether the vendors
    >> implemented this intentionally or not."
    >>
    >> Flaw Returns
    >>
    >> Most browser vendors, including Mozilla, agreed and updated their
    >> products to remove the feature. But it has been re-introduced in
    >> Firefox 1.0.4, Mozilla 1.7.8, and Camino 0.x, according to the firm.
    >> Secunia has published an online demonstration of the flaw.
    >>
    >> The new vulnerability is a slight variation of the flaw fixed last
    >> year, Secunia says.
    >>
    >> The Mozilla Project says it is investigating the report, and a
    >> moderator of the organization's online support site says the flaw had
    >> not been exploited. "To protect yourself, close all other windows/tabs
    >> before accessing a site where you routinely put in a secure password
    >> (your bank or PayPal account), or your bank or credit card details
    >> (e.g. Amazon), or other sensitive data," the moderator says.
    >>
    >> Only a handful of other flaws have had an impact reaching across
    >> browsers and platforms. Another example is a spoofing flaw involving
    >> the use of international domain names, discovered in browsers such as
    >> Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera--though not IE--in February.
    >>
    >> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121182,tk,dn060705X,00.asp

    > Secunia keeps saying there's a flaw in Firefox 1.0.4 and Mozilla 1.7.8,
    > but I've been unable to get either to exhibit the flaw with their test
    > links. Secunia is sounding like a broken record.

    I tested it (Moz 1.7.8) and the vulnerability *does* exist.

    --
    Regards

    Nigel Stapley

    www.judgemental.plus.com

    <reply-to will bounce>

    Nigel Stapley, Jun 8, 2005
  4. On 2005-06-08, Doug G <> wrote:

    > Secunia keeps saying there's a flaw in Firefox 1.0.4 and Mozilla 1.7.8,
    > but I've been unable to get either to exhibit the flaw with their test
    > links.

    The "flaw" doesn't work if you have Firefox configureed to open links in
    new tabs.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Jun 9, 2005
  5. Agent777

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 09:47:26 -0400, in message
     <>, Agent777 wrote:

    >Updated browser has reintroduced a seven-year-old vulnerability,
    >security company claims.
    >
    >Matthew Broersma, Techworld.com
    >Tuesday, June 07, 2005
    >
    >New versions of the Mozilla Foundation's browsers have reintroduced a
    >seven-year-old flaw that makes them vulnerable to spoofing attacks,
    >security advisory company Secunia says.
    >
    >Secunia first publicized the flaw last summer, warning that a feature
    >that had been built into most browsers for years was in fact a security
    >liability. The firm argued that a feature allowing one Web page to load
    >arbitrary content into a frame of another page could allow an attacker
    >to, for example, substitute his own login window on a bank's Web site.
    >The feature was found in IE, Mozilla, Opera, Safari, and Mozilla
    >derivatives such as Konqueror.
    >
    >"We believe that it is important that Microsoft and the other vendors
    >seriously consider the minor gains from such 'functionality' against the
    >possible consequences for their customers," said Secunia CTO Thomas
    >Kristensen at the time. "In our opinion, this is a vulnerability and
    >should be treated as such, whether the vendors implemented this
    >intentionally or not."
    >
    >Flaw Returns
    >
    >Most browser vendors, including Mozilla, agreed and updated their
    >products to remove the feature. But it has been re-introduced in Firefox
    >1.0.4, Mozilla 1.7.8, and Camino 0.x, according to the firm. Secunia has
    >published an online demonstration of the flaw.
    >
    >The new vulnerability is a slight variation of the flaw fixed last year,
    >Secunia says.
    >
    >The Mozilla Project says it is investigating the report, and a moderator
    >of the organization's online support site says the flaw had not been
    >exploited. "To protect yourself, close all other windows/tabs before
    >accessing a site where you routinely put in a secure password (your bank
    >or PayPal account), or your bank or credit card details (e.g. Amazon),
    >or other sensitive data," the moderator says.
    >
    >Only a handful of other flaws have had an impact reaching across
    >browsers and platforms. Another example is a spoofing flaw involving the
    >use of international domain names, discovered in browsers such as
    >Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera--though not IE--in February.
    >
    >http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121182,tk,dn060705X,00.asp

    Verified here, with Firefox 1.0.4 and using Secunia's demonstration
    at http://secunia.com/multiple_browsers_frame_injection_vulnerability_test/

    The demonstration works if the "other page"
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp in the demo) is loaded
    in a different _window_, but not (as John wrote) if the other page is
    loaded in a different _tab_ in the same window.

    This also implies that there is an inconsistency in how Firefox handles
    links of the form <a href="/demonstration_page/" target="fraRightFrame">.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by
    those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw

    Ralph Fox, Jun 9, 2005