    that people like to use?

    Thanks.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 13, 2006

  2. E. Scrooge

    Earl Grey Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > The info is for a friend in Canada.
    >
    > Any other good little free programs for freeing up the 5 times region lock
    > that people like to use?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    VLC plays DVDs regardless of what the region is set to.
    Earl Grey, Oct 13, 2006

  3. E. Scrooge

    David Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > The info is for a friend in Canada.
    >
    > Any other good little free programs for freeing up the 5 times region lock
    > that people like to use?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink (both freeware).
    David, Oct 13, 2006
  4. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message news:egnca6$3la$...
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> The info is for a friend in Canada.
    >>
    >> Any other good little free programs for freeing up the 5 times region
    >> lock that people like to use?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink (both freeware).

    Friend in Canada has DVD Shrink, she hasn't used DVD Shrink before and is
    trying to figure it out. She wants to make a DVD to give to someone in
    Sweden. I haven't used DVD Shrink. Is there much playing round of the
    settings needed?

    Thanks.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 13, 2006
  5. E. Scrooge

    Rob Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "David" <> wrote in message news:egnca6$3la$...
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> The info is for a friend in Canada.
    >>>
    >>> Any other good little free programs for freeing up the 5 times region
    >>> lock that people like to use?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge

    >> DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink (both freeware).

    > Friend in Canada has DVD Shrink, she hasn't used DVD Shrink before and is
    > trying to figure it out. She wants to make a DVD to give to someone in
    > Sweden. I haven't used DVD Shrink. Is there much playing round of the
    > settings needed?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    The main thing is to pick the right audio track. That's where most of
    the space saving occurs.

    --
    Rob

    http://grumpyalien.blogspot.com/

    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog. (Peter Steiner)
    Rob, Oct 13, 2006
  6. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:452f2ed9$...
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> The info is for a friend in Canada.
    >>
    >> Any other good little free programs for freeing up the 5 times region
    >> lock that people like to use?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > VLC plays DVDs regardless of what the region is set to.

    Thanks for that. I've got a link to download VLC in case it's needed. I've
    sent DVD Genie to her to try first.
    There's some good looking Shareware stuff, but DVD Genie is still popular as
    well.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 14, 2006
  7. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message news:45300024$...
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> "David" <> wrote in message

    >>> DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink (both freeware).

    >> Friend in Canada has DVD Shrink, she hasn't used DVD Shrink before and is
    >> trying to figure it out. She wants to make a DVD to give to someone in
    >> Sweden. I haven't used DVD Shrink. Is there much playing round of the
    >> settings needed?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > The main thing is to pick the right audio track. That's where most of the
    > space saving occurs.
    >
    > --
    > Rob

    Thanks, Rob. If she has to use DVD Shrind I hope it's real easy. She's
    only recently found out what a pain the different regions are along with
    other things.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 14, 2006
  8. E. Scrooge

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <1160790981.497159@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    > "Rob" <> wrote in message news:45300024$...
    > > E. Scrooge wrote:
    > >> "David" <> wrote in message

    > >> Friend in Canada has DVD Shrink, she hasn't used DVD Shrink before and is
    > >> trying to figure it out. She wants to make a DVD to give to someone in
    > >> Sweden. I haven't used DVD Shrink. Is there much playing round of the
    > >> settings needed?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >>
    > >> E. Scrooge

    > > The main thing is to pick the right audio track. That's where most of the
    > > space saving occurs.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Rob

    > Thanks, Rob. If she has to use DVD Shrind I hope it's real easy. She's
    > only recently found out what a pain the different regions are along with
    > other things.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Howdy Scroogie

    If she can use windows OK then dvd shrink should be OK for her. I use it
    a lot and it is simple and easy. VLC too would be good for those
    difficult things nothing else will play. Many times I've had to fall
    back on it to play stuff that craps out with other players.
    --

    See Ya

    bAZZ .. >>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you try me, you'll buy me
    If you buy me, you'll use me
    If you use me, you'll abuse me
    If you abuse me, I'll own you.
    bAZZ, Oct 14, 2006
  9. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "bAZZ" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1160790981.497159@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    >> > The main thing is to pick the right audio track. That's where most of
    >> > the
    >> > space saving occurs.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Rob

    >> Thanks, Rob. If she has to use DVD Shrind I hope it's real easy. She's
    >> only recently found out what a pain the different regions are along with
    >> other things.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > Howdy Scroogie
    >
    > If she can use windows OK then dvd shrink should be OK for her. I use it
    > a lot and it is simple and easy. VLC too would be good for those
    > difficult things nothing else will play. Many times I've had to fall
    > back on it to play stuff that craps out with other players.
    > --
    >
    > See Ya
    >
    > bAZZ .. >>

    Hi Bazz,

    She made a DVDR video using DVD Shrink, but the picture was jumping round
    when she played it on her Pioneer DVD player. The DVDR played fine on the
    computer. At first I wondered if it was the frame rate that needed setting
    up, or maybe it's just the compression options.

    Thanks for the comments on the the VLC player. Her first try with DVD Genie
    wasn't too good, but she might not have the brand and range of video cards
    selected and the DVD player is a Cine Player whether that's similar to the
    Cinemaster players is hard to say.

    I'll send your advice over to over to her, thanks.

    Cheers,
    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 14, 2006
  10. E. Scrooge

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 22:32:55 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
    wrote:

    >She made a DVDR video using DVD Shrink, but the picture was jumping round
    >when she played it on her Pioneer DVD player. The DVDR played fine on the
    >computer. At first I wondered if it was the frame rate that needed setting
    >up, or maybe it's just the compression options.

    It's probably just her DVD player struggling to read the burnt disc. Try
    slowing the burn down, that may help by eliminating the zone speed changes made
    when burning it.

    Also, unless you need menus etc, just do the main movie. Drop any unwanted
    audio and subtitle tracks (note you may need one of the several english tracks
    if there is a foreign language spoken at all in the movie, there will be
    subtitles for that bit only, and you'll need to switch to it when playing it in
    a DVD player because you won't have that language selection screen some discs
    make you go through when you start the disc to turn it on). That will most
    likely leave you with a video file that doesn't need compressing any more.
    Craig Shore, Oct 15, 2006