    So, does anyone know if CISCO877-SEC-K9 supports Annex M? And, how do
    you tell if an 877 supports Annex M if you are asking someone who is
    selling one second hand?

    Stephen Worthington, Apr 16, 2009

  2. Stephen Worthington

    bod43 Guest

    On 16 Apr, 04:58, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    > I am looking at updating from my aging 827 to an 877 ADSL router, but
    > I want it to be able to support ADSL2+ Annex M.  The Cisco web page
    > that I found that lists the model numbers
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps6200/produ...
    >
    > shows two different part numbers for most models of 877, such as
    > CISCO877-K9 and CISCO877-M-K9, with the latter being the newer version
    > that has Annex M support.  But for the model I want, CISCO877-SEC-K9
    > (with Advanced IP firmware and the necessary bigger memory for that),
    > there is only one model number and no information about whether or not
    > it supports Annex M.
    >
    > So, does anyone know if CISCO877-SEC-K9 supports Annex M?  And, how do
    > you tell if an 877 supports Annex M if you are asking someone who is
    > selling one second hand?

    From the documentation -

    Looks like Annex M support is a hardware change.

    The ADSL HWIC uses the same ADSL firmware as the
    877 so I think that this document will apply.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...0aecd80394b7e_ps5853_Products_Data_Sheet.html
    ADSL2+ Chipset Specifications

    • HWIC-1ADSL, HWIC-ADSL-B/ST (ADSL over
    basic telephone service)-STMicroelectronics STM20190

    • HWIC-1ADSLI, HWIC-ADSLI-B/ST (ADSL over ISDN)
    -STMicroelectronics STM20190

    • HWIC-1ADSL-M (ADSL over basic telephone service,
    Annex M), STMicroelectronics STM20196P

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...s6200/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html
    This is about the 877. No mention of STM20196P chipset here.
    • Annex M (except UK Mask) is supported starting with the special
    Cisco IOS Software Release 12.4(11)XJ; and requires the CISCO877-M-K9
    or CISCO877W-G-E-M-K9 SKU.

    Not sure where you are but there are many references to
    "except UK Mask". No idea what this means - in practice or
    otherwise:).

    PSD Mask M9 - Power Spectral Density.

    Identification: - examples (NOT Annex M)
    Part number will be different on back of box I imagine.
    Likewise in sh ver, sh inv.
    sh inv
    NAME: "877W", DESCR: "877W chassis, Hw Serial#: xxxxxxxxxxx, Hw
    Revision: 0x200"
    PID: CISCO877W-G-E-K9 , VID: V02 , SN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Possibly "sh dsl int", but I think this only works
    when DSL is synched.
    #sh dsl int atm 0
    ATM0
    Alcatel 20190 chipset information

    So -
    For Annex M
    "sh inv" PID would be
    CISCO877-M-K9 or CISCO877W-G-E-M-K9
    "W" = Wireless, by the way.

    I *GUESS*.

    Hope that helps? All from docs and guesswork.

    bod43, Apr 16, 2009

  3. Stephen Worthington

    bod43 Guest

    On 16 Apr, 08:40, bod43 <> wrote:
    > On 16 Apr, 04:58, Stephen Worthington
    >

    > <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    > > I am looking at updating from my aging 827 to an 877 ADSL router, but
    > > I want it to be able to support ADSL2+ Annex M.  The Cisco web page
    > > that I found that lists the model numbers

    > >http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps6200/produ...

    > > shows two different part numbers for most models of 877, such as
    > > CISCO877-K9 and CISCO877-M-K9, with the latter being the newer version
    > > that has Annex M support.  But for the model I want, CISCO877-SEC-K9

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps6200/prod_qas0900aecd8028a982.html

    Q. What's the difference between the Cisco 877 and Cisco 877M?
    A. Cisco 877M provides annex M support with the
    MTK20196P chipset. Cisco 877 can not be upgraded to
    provide annex M support.

    Q. Does Cisco 877M support the PSD mask required to
    comply with the Annex M standards in the United Kingdom?
    A. No. Currently there are no plans to support this.

    bod43, Apr 16, 2009
  4. Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> writes:
    >I am looking at updating from my aging 827 to an 877 ADSL router, but
    >I want it to be able to support ADSL2+ Annex M. The Cisco web page
    >that I found that lists the model numbers

    >http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...s6200/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

    >shows two different part numbers for most models of 877, such as
    >CISCO877-K9 and CISCO877-M-K9, with the latter being the newer version
    >that has Annex M support. But for the model I want, CISCO877-SEC-K9
    >(with Advanced IP firmware and the necessary bigger memory for that),
    >there is only one model number and no information about whether or not
    >it supports Annex M.

    >So, does anyone know if CISCO877-SEC-K9 supports Annex M? And, how do
    >you tell if an 877 supports Annex M if you are asking someone who is
    >selling one second hand?

    CISCO877-SEC-K9 is a special bundle. Bundles in general do not sell
    all that quickly through the distribution channel, and they don't make
    bundles of every product.

    If it doesn't specificly mention it, I would assume that it is the
    older hardware in the bundle.

    You of course can order the parts seperately that make up the bundle,
    but you'll pay more, and have some hassles.

    This is such a new part number, I would not expect *any* of the used
    models on the market to be the 877M model.

    Doug McIntyre, Apr 16, 2009
  5. Stephen Worthington

    alexd Guest

    bod43 wrote:

    > Not sure where you are but there are many references to
    > "except UK Mask". No idea what this means - in practice or
    > otherwise:).
    >
    > PSD Mask M9 - Power Spectral Density.

    The "UK mask" is presumably what combination of powers/frequencies
    Ofcom/NICC have decided can be used in the UK. The idea is to have the many
    circuits you'd have in a multicore cable play nice with each other. As to
    whether or not it makes any difference, probably not. The ISP will have to
    program their DSLAMs to conform to the Access Network Frequency Plan, and
    the router will effectively follow suit when syncing up with the DSLAM.

    This contains some more info:

    http://www.nicc.org.uk/nicc-public/Public/interconnectstandards/dsltg_spec/nd1602_2005_08.pdf

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:24:34 up 132 days, 23:35, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.04

    alexd, Apr 16, 2009
  6. On 16 Apr 2009 18:58:23 GMT, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:

    >Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> writes:
    >>I am looking at updating from my aging 827 to an 877 ADSL router, but
    >>I want it to be able to support ADSL2+ Annex M. The Cisco web page
    >>that I found that lists the model numbers

    >>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...s6200/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

    >>shows two different part numbers for most models of 877, such as
    >>CISCO877-K9 and CISCO877-M-K9, with the latter being the newer version
    >>that has Annex M support. But for the model I want, CISCO877-SEC-K9
    >>(with Advanced IP firmware and the necessary bigger memory for that),
    >>there is only one model number and no information about whether or not
    >>it supports Annex M.

    >>So, does anyone know if CISCO877-SEC-K9 supports Annex M? And, how do
    >>you tell if an 877 supports Annex M if you are asking someone who is
    >>selling one second hand?

    >CISCO877-SEC-K9 is a special bundle. Bundles in general do not sell
    >all that quickly through the distribution channel, and they don't make
    >bundles of every product.
    >
    >If it doesn't specificly mention it, I would assume that it is the
    >older hardware in the bundle.
    >
    >You of course can order the parts seperately that make up the bundle,
    >but you'll pay more, and have some hassles.
    >
    >This is such a new part number, I would not expect *any* of the used
    >models on the market to be the 877M model.

    Thanks, that is starting to make sense now. It looks like I will need
    to get a CISCO877-M-K9 and add more flash, then get the Advanced IP
    firmware for it. Now I have to hunt up all the part numbers for those
    bits and see if I can find them at a reasonable price here in New
    Zealand.

    Stephen Worthington, Apr 17, 2009