    must support PPPOE. A long time ago, I ( Think ) I heard/read
    that the 678 does not support PPPOE. Cannot find anything on their
    website. Does anyone know for sure. Thanks in advance.

    Guy DeStefano, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Guy DeStefano

    none Guest

    I don't think the 678 does PPPoE, but you can put it in bridged mode and use
    a cable/DSL router (or 802.11b router/gateway) behind it to do the PPPoE.
    You can probably get an 802.11b router/gateway for $25 or less.

    Internet<--->678<-->cable/DSL router<-->Home LAN

    none, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate any help.

    My current setup is:

    Internet<--->Speedstream(DSL)<--->Cisco PIX 501( W / Static IP
    Addr )<--->Cisco 2950<--->( 5 Computers )

    Everything works great. Will I have to make any changes to the PIX using
    the 678?

    The following is how the PIX was set while I was using dynamic IP addr.
    Addresses etc, changed for display.

    =====Begin Dynamic IP Set in PIX was===============
    ip address outside pppoe setroute
    ip address inside 999.999.999.999 255.255.255.0

    vpdn group pppoe_group request dialout pppoe
    vpdn group pppoe_group localname
    vpdn group pppoe_group ppp authentication pap
    vpdn username xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx password *********
    dhcpd address 999.999.1.2-999.999.1.33 inside
    dhcpd lease 3600
    dhcpd ping_timeout 750
    dhcpd auto_config outside
    dhcpd enable inside

    =====End Dynamic IP Set in PIX ==================

    When I changed to static IP, all the above lines were replaced by below.

    =====Begin Static IP Set in PIX is==================
    ip address outside 999.999.999.999 255.255.255.0
    ip address inside 999.999.999.999 255.255.255.0

    =====End Static IP Set in PIX is==================

    Guy DeStefano, Nov 17, 2004
  4. Guy DeStefano

    none Guest

    > Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate any help.
    >
    > My current setup is:
    >
    > Internet<--->Speedstream(DSL)<--->Cisco PIX 501( W / Static IP
    > Addr )<--->Cisco 2950<--->( 5 Computers )
    >
    > Everything works great. Will I have to make any changes to the PIX using
    > the 678?

    You shouldn't have to make any changes in the PIX - just set the 678 in 1483
    bridged mode with the correct PVC.

    My configuration is very similar except I have a Cisco 827 ADSL router on
    the internet side of my PIX 501 and a Cisco 4500 on the inside - I currently
    do PPoE in the PIX even though the 827 can do PPPoE - I may change it at
    some point.

    none, Nov 20, 2004
  5. Thanks again for the replies. Today I received the 678 modem.
    Not really sure if I can make it work. I am on Sprint / DSL,
    and the 678 modem was for Quest / DSL , company in California
    bought the modems. I was able to telnet into the modem, it is new
    and has software ver 2.4.1. I have seen somewhere that there is
    a ver 2.4.2. I called Sprint and they told me it had to have PPPoE,
    and a vpi of 8 . I tried to enter the vpi, and it states invalid, must be
    between 0 and 3. I set a few things that I know of like
    set ppp wan0-0 login and password, have really tried a lot of
    things, but would not do anything. Please tell me, do you know if
    the 827 will work with the Sprint system. Sprint told me that if
    they did not install the modem, they would not offer any support.
    One more question, please explain ( just set the 678 in 1483
    > bridged mode with the correct PVC ). Sorry but I am a level

    -1 with networking. Thanks again for your help.

    Guy DeStefano, Nov 20, 2004
  6. Guy DeStefano

    none Guest

    Try the following - I googled and found this.

    678# set bridging rfc1483 enabled
    678# set bridging management enabled
    678# set interface wan0-0 close
    678# set interface wan0-0 vpi 0
    678# set interface wan0-0 vci 8
    678# set interface wan0-0 open
    678# write
    678# reboot

    The PPP stuff you were setting is for PPPoA (PPP over ATM) not PPoE (PPP
    over Ethernet).

    You may need to clear the configuration before you perform the above
    commands.

    none, Nov 21, 2004