    sealed. How do I know that it's new? To me an "open box" should sell
    at a discount.
    , Aug 8, 2007

  2. Charles Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just received a new Canon camera from Adorama. The box is not
    > sealed. How do I know that it's new? To me an "open box" should sell
    > at a discount.

    I have purchased three Canon cameras (via the Internet) and none came in a
    sealed box. They were all OK, by the way.
    Charles, Aug 8, 2007

  3. Mark B. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I just received a new Canon camera from Adorama. The box is not
    > sealed. How do I know that it's new? To me an "open box" should sell
    > at a discount.

    No, none of Canon's boxes are sealed - I've received DSLRs, point 'n shoots,
    and lenses this way. It's perfectly normal.

    Mark
    Mark B., Aug 9, 2007
  4. Anthony Guest

    Adorama needs to open the box in order to inspect the camera before
    shipping it to you. Would you rather do the inspection yourself?

    Anthony, Aug 9, 2007
  5. ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:49:12 -0700, Anthony wrote:

    > Adorama needs to open the box in order to inspect the camera before
    > shipping it to you. Would you rather do the inspection yourself?

    Radio Shack sells Canon cameras, including their low end DSLRs and
    some DSLR accessories. That's the *last* store/chain I'd ever want
    to buy *anything* from unless it's packaged in tamper-proof sealed
    boxes. I bought a camera from them several years ago (promptly
    returned) that was guaranteed "never opened", yet contained
    batteries other than the brand normally supplied, and in the camera.
    Also in the camera was the memory card containing pictures taken not
    only in the RS store, but some in other neighborhood stores as well.
    I trust Adorama and B&H much more to sell unused cameras, and
    probably at lower prices as well.
    ASAAR, Aug 9, 2007
  6. Allen Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:49:12 -0700, Anthony wrote:
    >
    >> Adorama needs to open the box in order to inspect the camera before
    >> shipping it to you. Would you rather do the inspection yourself?

    > Radio Shack sells Canon cameras, including their low end DSLRs and
    > some DSLR accessories. That's the *last* store/chain I'd ever want
    > to buy *anything* from unless it's packaged in tamper-proof sealed
    > boxes. I bought a camera from them several years ago (promptly
    > returned) that was guaranteed "never opened", yet contained
    > batteries other than the brand normally supplied, and in the camera.
    > Also in the camera was the memory card containing pictures taken not
    > only in the RS store, but some in other neighborhood stores as well.
    > I trust Adorama and B&H much more to sell unused cameras, and
    > probably at lower prices as well.

    Sounds like you found a trout in the milk, to borrow from Thoreau.
    Allen
    Allen, Aug 9, 2007
  7. JohnR66 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I just received a new Canon camera from Adorama. The box is not
    > sealed. How do I know that it's new? To me an "open box" should sell
    > at a discount.

    Just bought an A630 a couple weeks ago from a local store. Box was not
    sealed nor has the signs that any sort of sealing tape was ever used.
    John
    JohnR66, Aug 9, 2007
  8. irwell Guest

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:13:41 GMT, wrote:

    >I just received a new Canon camera from Adorama. The box is not
    >sealed. How do I know that it's new? To me an "open box" should sell
    >at a discount.

    Sony do, seems that Nikon does not!
    irwell, Aug 9, 2007

  9. > On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:13:41 GMT, wrote:

    >> I just received a new Canon camera from Adorama. The box is not
    >> sealed. How do I know that it's new? To me an "open box" should sell
    >> at a discount.

    I bought a Canon 30D at Circuit City. The box was not sealed.
    The plastic bags inside were.

    Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald, Aug 9, 2007
  10. On 2007-08-09 09:45:07 -0400, Allen <> said:

    > ASAAR wrote:
    >> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:49:12 -0700, Anthony wrote:
    >>
    >>> Adorama needs to open the box in order to inspect the camera before
    >>> shipping it to you. Would you rather do the inspection yourself?

    >> Radio Shack sells Canon cameras, including their low end DSLRs and
    >> some DSLR accessories. That's the *last* store/chain I'd ever want
    >> to buy *anything* from unless it's packaged in tamper-proof sealed
    >> boxes. I bought a camera from them several years ago (promptly
    >> returned) that was guaranteed "never opened", yet contained
    >> batteries other than the brand normally supplied, and in the camera.
    >> Also in the camera was the memory card containing pictures taken not
    >> only in the RS store, but some in other neighborhood stores as well.
    >> I trust Adorama and B&H much more to sell unused cameras, and
    >> probably at lower prices as well.
    >>

    > Sounds like you found a trout in the milk, to borrow from Thoreau.
    > Allen

    Is that like an Ethiopian in the fuel supply ?
    W.C. Fields
    Harley Garnett, Aug 9, 2007
  11. Allen Guest

    Harley Garnett wrote:
    > On 2007-08-09 09:45:07 -0400, Allen <> said:
    >
    >> ASAAR wrote:

    >>> Radio Shack sells Canon cameras, including their low end DSLRs and
    >>> some DSLR accessories. That's the *last* store/chain I'd ever want
    >>> to buy *anything* from unless it's packaged in tamper-proof sealed
    >>> boxes. I bought a camera from them several years ago (promptly
    >>> returned) that was guaranteed "never opened", yet contained
    >>> batteries other than the brand normally supplied, and in the camera.
    >>> Also in the camera was the memory card containing pictures taken not
    >>> only in the RS store, but some in other neighborhood stores as well.
    >>> I trust Adorama and B&H much more to sell unused cameras, and
    >>> probably at lower prices as well.
    >>>

    >> Sounds like you found a trout in the milk, to borrow from Thoreau.
    >> Allen

    > Is that like an Ethiopian in the fuel supply ?
    > W.C. Fields

    Not exactly. Back when Thoreau was writing, and even into the 20th
    Century, adding water to milk was a common practice. Thoreau made his
    statement to indicate there is some circumstantial evidence that should
    be believed.
    Allen
    Allen, Aug 10, 2007
  12. Clem Dye Guest

    Mark B. wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> I just received a new Canon camera from Adorama. The box is not
    >> sealed. How do I know that it's new? To me an "open box" should sell
    >> at a discount.

    > No, none of Canon's boxes are sealed - I've received DSLRs, point 'n shoots,
    > and lenses this way. It's perfectly normal.
    >
    > Mark

    Hmmm. My 400D box had a circular plastic seal over the open edge, as did
    the 50mm 1.8 lens that I bought recently. Perhaps it depends on locale
    or product. Perhaps it's a supplier thing, although I did buy from two
    different sources - one retail, one web.

    Clem
    Clem Dye, Aug 10, 2007