    Just wondered when i have my canon Powershot S2 IS connected to my pc via
    usb lead does it use battry power or does the lead power the camera.
    Ronnie

    Ronnie, Aug 4, 2005

  2. Ronnie

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Ronnie wrote:

    > Just wondered when i have my canon Powershot S2 IS connected to my pc via
    > usb lead does it use battry power or does the lead power the camera.
    > Ronnie

    The camera is powered by the battery.. The voltage and current
    supplied by the USB port isn't enough to run the camera.

    Jim Townsend, Aug 4, 2005

  3. Ronnie

    Ronnie Guest

    Ok Jim thanks for the info.
    Ronnie

    Ronnie, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Ronnie

    wavelength Guest

    I'd suggest getting an external USB card reader. I find it much easier
    to use.

    wavelength, Aug 5, 2005
  5. I just checked mine and it draws only 2 mA of current at 5 VDC when
    connected to a USB 2.0 port on my PC. This is probably not enough to
    actually run the camera, but may power the USB interface circuitry inside. I
    find that with the speed of the download of pictures with USB 2.0, I'm not
    bothering with using my card reader, but instead just plug in the camera and
    download using the PC control. While it's kind of cool to let the camera
    control the download by pressing the bright blue button and having all the
    shots be previewed full-screen as it goes, using computer controlled
    download without the preview is way faster. Either way is quite fast with
    USB 2.0.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Aug 5, 2005
  6. Ronnie

    Ronnie Guest

    No i was wondering about power use as i was going to try and get it
    connected to a telescope Must try and find a firm the does conevertors now.
    Ronnie

    Ronnie, Aug 5, 2005
  7. Like many digital cameras, the S2 IS has an external power jack on the
    side - right next to the USB jack. You can buy a Canon or after-market power
    supply for it. You could also fashion your own power pack, if you are handy
    with that sort of thing.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Aug 6, 2005