    While I'm ready to upgrade to a DSLR anyway, does Canon deserve a third
    try (Rebel XT) or is there a more rugged brand?

    , Jun 29, 2005

  2. Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I had an S20 that was great, but after two years it stopped snapping.
    > Canon said it would cost more to fix than to replace. I upgraded to a
    > G3, and was very happy until 2.5 years later the screen crapped out.
    > While I'm ready to upgrade to a DSLR anyway, does Canon deserve a third
    > try (Rebel XT) or is there a more rugged brand?

    Maybe you are out of luck. I've been using Olympus digital cameras since
    1997 and never experienced failures. The C2000 which I bought in 1999 is
    now being used by my brother in the Central African republic (he's a
    missionary there).
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Jun 29, 2005

  3. <> wrote in message
    >I had an S20 that was great, but after two years it stopped snapping.
    > Canon said it would cost more to fix than to replace. I upgraded to a
    > G3, and was very happy until 2.5 years later the screen crapped out.
    > While I'm ready to upgrade to a DSLR anyway, does Canon deserve a third
    > try (Rebel XT) or is there a more rugged brand?

    I have the somewhat typical love-hate relationship with Canon. My 20D is a
    superb camera but has a serious flaw. It locks up.

    Charles Schuler, Jun 29, 2005
  4. RON Guest

    I have a Oly E20 and it is about 3 years old and works all the time. I would
    like to get a newer camera but am afraid I will not be able to find a work
    horse like the one I have. Good luck in your search. Let us know what you
    end up doing.

    RON, Jun 30, 2005
  5. Mike Henley Guest

    wrote:
    > I had an S20 that was great, but after two years it stopped snapping.
    > Canon said it would cost more to fix than to replace. I upgraded to a
    > G3, and was very happy until 2.5 years later the screen crapped out.
    > While I'm ready to upgrade to a DSLR anyway, does Canon deserve a third
    > try (Rebel XT) or is there a more rugged brand?

    No no no. It does not deserve a third try. And I'm not surprised by
    your experience, at all.

    Canon is mostly a marketting-led corporation that makes a huge profit
    on your purchase (the reputation of its professional gear is used to
    sell the low quality junk that is its consumer line). Canon also
    expects you to upgrade frequently, and hence too it cares little that
    it cameras last at all. It's time that you buy something made by decent
    engineering-led makers like Olympus or Fuji that give you your money's
    worth in quality, and experience true ruggedness in a consumer camera.

    Mike Henley, Jun 30, 2005
  6. Stacey Guest

    wrote:

    > While I'm ready to upgrade to a DSLR anyway, does Canon deserve a third
    > try (Rebel XT) or is there a more rugged brand?

    Rugged isn't a word that comes to mind holding a Rebel XT.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Jun 30, 2005
  7. JohnR66 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I had an S20 that was great, but after two years it stopped snapping.
    > Canon said it would cost more to fix than to replace. I upgraded to a
    > G3, and was very happy until 2.5 years later the screen crapped out.
    > While I'm ready to upgrade to a DSLR anyway, does Canon deserve a third
    > try (Rebel XT) or is there a more rugged brand?

    I've never been impressed with Canon's compact camera offerings. Their SLR
    and lens lineup are first rate.
    John

    JohnR66, Jun 30, 2005
  8. My E-10 is still going strong. I would like more megapixels but this beast
    just keeps on working. I am a photojournalist and it gets a real workout.

    Gene Palmiter, Jun 30, 2005
  9. Mark² Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I had an S20 that was great, but after two years it stopped snapping.
    > Canon said it would cost more to fix than to replace. I upgraded to a
    > G3, and was very happy until 2.5 years later the screen crapped out.
    > While I'm ready to upgrade to a DSLR anyway, does Canon deserve a third
    > try (Rebel XT) or is there a more rugged brand?

    Perhaps a better question:

    Does your treatment/handling of gear have anything to do with why your
    cameras don't last?

    Tiny and light point and shoots are...well...tiny and lightly built.

    Your G3 should have lasted longer.

    DSLRs are definitely built to last.

    But again...answer the first question.
    :)

    Mark², Jun 30, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I had an S20 that was great, but after two years it stopped snapping.
    > Canon said it would cost more to fix than to replace. I upgraded to a
    > G3, and was very happy until 2.5 years later the screen crapped out.
    > While I'm ready to upgrade to a DSLR anyway, does Canon deserve a third
    > try (Rebel XT) or is there a more rugged brand?

    It's a strong camera but, like any DSLR, it won't tolerate dirt entering
    the optical area. Change lenses with a bunch of kids and dogs running
    around and it won't work for long. Durability also depends a lot on
    which lens you put on it.

    Midsize point'n'shoot cameras like the Oly C-series are probably the
    most rugged. They're not great performers but they'll handle dirt and
    drops well.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jun 30, 2005
  11. Pete D Guest

    "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >

    >> While I'm ready to upgrade to a DSLR anyway, does Canon deserve a third
    >> try (Rebel XT) or is there a more rugged brand?

    > Rugged isn't a word that comes to mind holding a Rebel XT.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Stacey

    Have to agree with you here, they are really awful.

    Pete D, Jun 30, 2005
  12. Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:21:08 GMT, "Pete D" <> wrote:

    >"Stacey" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> While I'm ready to upgrade to a DSLR anyway, does Canon deserve a third
    >>> try (Rebel XT) or is there a more rugged brand?

    >> Rugged isn't a word that comes to mind holding a Rebel XT.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Stacey

    >Have to agree with you here, they are really awful.

    You've had reliability problems with a DRebel XT?
    Or is this just a "feeling" you get from handling one for a minute or
    so?
    Why does "heavy" equate to "sturdy" in cameras? Why is weight decried,
    if it means the camera will withstand more bumps?
    I don't understand.

    Of course, I don't understand why people think light cars are safe
    compared to SUVs, either.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Jun 30, 2005
  13. Leonard Guest

    Pete D wrote:
    > "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    >>Rugged isn't a word that comes to mind holding a Rebel XT.
    >>
    >>--
    >>
    >> Stacey

    > Have to agree with you here, they are really awful.

    Try picking up a Rebel 2000 sometime. That really is quite awful,
    and yet I've been using one since not long after they came out,
    without any problems at all. I think people who find the XT
    flimsy haven't had enough experience of -real- cheaply-built
    cameras.

    That kit lens doesn't exactly inspire confidence though.

    - Len

    Leonard, Jun 30, 2005
  14. Guest

    In message <A2Ywe.13151$>,
    Leonard <> wrote:

    >That kit lens doesn't exactly inspire confidence though.

    The kit lens is best used with auto-everything, with both hands on the
    camera!
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jun 30, 2005
  15. Vince_Ecosse Guest

    `Durability also depends a lot on
    which lens you put on it.`

    Kevin,
    Could you please say more about the quoted sentence. I do not see how
    the lens you put would affect the camera reliability and hence life
    span?
    Thanks

    Vince_Ecosse, Jul 1, 2005
  16. In article <>,
    "Vince_Ecosse" <> wrote:

    > `Durability also depends a lot on
    > which lens you put on it.`
    >
    > Kevin,
    > Could you please say more about the quoted sentence. I do not see how
    > the lens you put would affect the camera reliability and hence life
    > span?
    > Thanks

    I mean durability of the whole system, not the camera itself. It's easy
    for one lens to cost more than your camera. Ultra-high range zooms are
    pretty bad about sucking dust into themselves. A polarizer, UV filter,
    hood, or even an empty ring can avoid most damage to the lens from bumps.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jul 1, 2005
  17. MW Guest

    wrote:
    > I had an S20 that was great, but after two years it stopped snapping.
    > Canon said it would cost more to fix than to replace. I upgraded to a
    > G3, and was very happy until 2.5 years later the screen crapped out.
    > While I'm ready to upgrade to a DSLR anyway, does Canon deserve a third
    > try (Rebel XT) or is there a more rugged brand?

    Consider yourself lucky. The screen on my G3 died after only 1.5
    years. It happened a few weeks ago, and it would have cost $195 to fix.
    I'm not having it fixed.

    MW, Jul 1, 2005
  18. Frank ess Guest

    Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Vince_Ecosse" <> wrote:
    >
    >> `Durability also depends a lot on
    >> which lens you put on it.`
    >>
    >> Kevin,
    >> Could you please say more about the quoted sentence. I do not see
    >> how
    >> the lens you put would affect the camera reliability and hence life
    >> span?
    >> Thanks

    > I mean durability of the whole system, not the camera itself. It's
    > easy for one lens to cost more than your camera. Ultra-high range
    > zooms are pretty bad about sucking dust into themselves. A
    > polarizer, UV filter, hood, or even an empty ring can avoid most
    > damage to the lens from bumps.

    There is the effect of heavy versus light lenses on the mount. Kind of
    a physics thing about lever arms and all. I don't know of any specific
    instances of lenses jerking the interface out of a camera body, but I
    remember being warned about it in the olden days. Maybe materials and
    technology have advanced to the place where it is no longer a concern,
    but just looking at some combinations of components makes me uneasy,
    torsionally speaking.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jul 1, 2005
  19. In article <>,
    "Frank ess" <> wrote:

    > Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > "Vince_Ecosse" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> `Durability also depends a lot on
    > >> which lens you put on it.`
    > >>
    > >> Kevin,
    > >> Could you please say more about the quoted sentence. I do not see
    > >> how
    > >> the lens you put would affect the camera reliability and hence life
    > >> span?
    > >> Thanks

    > > I mean durability of the whole system, not the camera itself. It's
    > > easy for one lens to cost more than your camera. Ultra-high range
    > > zooms are pretty bad about sucking dust into themselves. A
    > > polarizer, UV filter, hood, or even an empty ring can avoid most
    > > damage to the lens from bumps.

    > There is the effect of heavy versus light lenses on the mount. Kind of
    > a physics thing about lever arms and all. I don't know of any specific
    > instances of lenses jerking the interface out of a camera body, but I
    > remember being warned about it in the olden days. Maybe materials and
    > technology have advanced to the place where it is no longer a concern,
    > but just looking at some combinations of components makes me uneasy,
    > torsionally speaking.

    I suppose you could damage the mount if you pulled hard enough to break
    the four bolts. You'd need really strong fingers.

    A more common problem with big lenses is that bumps and drops hit a lot
    harder. They can also topple your tripod in windy weather. Of course
    if you drop your camera with a gigantic Canon L-series lens on it,
    you'll be crying about the loss of the lens, not the camera. I keep the
    camera strap wrapped around my hand all the time; even with a tripod.
    It has saved me _lots_ of money.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jul 1, 2005
  20. Mark B. Guest

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    > You've had reliability problems with a DRebel XT?
    > Or is this just a "feeling" you get from handling one for a minute or
    > so?
    > Why does "heavy" equate to "sturdy" in cameras? Why is weight decried,
    > if it means the camera will withstand more bumps?
    > I don't understand.
    >
    > Of course, I don't understand why people think light cars are safe
    > compared to SUVs, either.

    I don't feel safe in my car with so many people that don't know how to drive
    their SUVs.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jul 1, 2005