    the DNG file or are we still stuck with Side Car files?

    This has been a big issue with staying with Capture. I very much
    disklike the whole sidecard file issue with Camera Raw.

    dwswager, Feb 23, 2005

  2. dwswager

    Clyde Guest

    dwswager wrote:
    > I have been tempted to use the DNG file format and switching from Nikon
    > Capture to Camera Raw. Does Camera Raw Store the information inside
    > the DNG file or are we still stuck with Side Car files?
    >
    > This has been a big issue with staying with Capture. I very much
    > disklike the whole sidecard file issue with Camera Raw.

    Adobe Camera RAW will read DNG files. It doesn't write them and
    shouldn't. DNG is a format for holding RAW files. Therefore, it would
    come before ACR.

    Any large project that I have that will leave RAW files on my system for
    awhile (like a wedding) first gets converted to DNG. I use Adobe's DNG
    Converter. Then I will open them in Photoshop with the ACR.

    I like DNG for two reasons. One is what you suggest; I want to be sure
    I'm moving everything when I do file organization. The other is that
    they are much smaller files. So, when I save originals on CDs or DVDs, I
    can fit a lot more on a disk.

    Clyde

    Clyde, Feb 24, 2005

  3. dwswager

    Brian K Guest

    Side Car when I played with it.

    Brian

    Brian K, Feb 25, 2005
  4. dwswager

    Ron Krebs Guest

    "dwswager" <> wrote in message
    > I have been tempted to use the DNG file format and switching from Nikon
    > Capture to Camera Raw. Does Camera Raw Store the information inside
    > the DNG file or are we still stuck with Side Car files?
    >
    > This has been a big issue with staying with Capture. I very much
    > disklike the whole sidecard file issue with Camera Raw.

    Yep, not only does it save metadata, it also can imbed the original raw file
    as well.

    Ron Krebs, Feb 26, 2005