    and make them match the new sale price for this week?

    Anyone have luck with that?
    Jeff

    Jeffman316, Aug 1, 2004

  2. Jeffman316

    Biz Guest

    "Jeffman316" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns95385EF82D362slapnutsrulehotmailc@216.196.97.142...
    > Last week, my local Best Buy put out a lot of things early.
    > They had Sliders S1/S2, Knight Rider S1 and Abbott and Costello
    > Volume 3. I bought the Knight Rider and A/C sets. I knew they
    > would probably be on sale this week, but I was going to be out
    > of town on Tuesday and they only had 2-3 sets of each.
    >
    > When I get back in town at the end of the week, should I try
    > and make them match the new sale price for this week?
    >
    > Anyone have luck with that?
    > Jeff

    Thats not price-matching, you're thinking of a price guarantee, where if you
    find it cheaper within so many days you are eligible to get that sale price.
    Price matching is when you go in and say store X has this at price Y, will
    you sell it to me at price Y?

    Biz, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Jeffman316

    Morgan Guest

    I know Fry's Electronics will refund you the difference if they run the item
    you bought on sale within 30 days of your purchase. I bought a DVD there
    once that they ran for $8 cheaper two days later, so I brought in my receipt
    and they gave me the difference--no questions asked, and I was in and out
    within minutes (which is a friggin' miracle for Fry's). Go to Best Buy with
    your receipt and ask, if Fry's does it Best Buy should.

    Morgan

    Morgan, Aug 1, 2004
  4. Jeffman316

    Matt Woodard Guest

    Yes - they will do it . I bought the Elvis comeback special when it
    came out - then the next week they had it on sale $15 cheaper. There
    was no issue.

    Matt Woodard, Aug 1, 2004
  5. "Morgan" <> wrote in

    > I know Fry's Electronics will refund you the difference if they run
    > the item you bought on sale within 30 days of your purchase. I bought
    > a DVD there once that they ran for $8 cheaper two days later, so I
    > brought in my receipt and they gave me the difference--no questions
    > asked, and I was in and out within minutes (which is a friggin'
    > miracle for Fry's). Go to Best Buy with your receipt and ask, if
    > Fry's does it Best Buy should.

    Circuit City does this as well.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Aug 2, 2004
  6. Jeffman316

    John Sayers Guest

    I work at a Borders, and when people try and return things in this manner
    they instantly considered cheapskates/pains in the ass/undesirable
    customers/assholes. We usually do the return and give the customer back his
    few bucks, but just to keep the line moving and avoid embarrassing the rest
    of the customers in line. Then we talk about the jerk for the rest of the
    day - "could you believe the doo-dads on that guy?...."

    John Sayers, Aug 3, 2004
  7. Jeffman316

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 19:25:54 -0400, "John Sayers"
    <> wrote:

    >I work at a Borders, and when people try and return things in this manner
    >they instantly considered cheapskates/pains in the ass/undesirable
    >customers/assholes. We usually do the return and give the customer back his
    >few bucks, but just to keep the line moving and avoid embarrassing the rest
    >of the customers in line. Then we talk about the jerk for the rest of the
    >day - "could you believe the doo-dads on that guy?...."

    ....all the while not realizing that it's you and your co-workers who
    are the jerks, I'm sure. I'll remember this the next time I'm in a
    Borders store. Did you not realize that by using their name and
    identifying yourself as an employee, you represent them? Perhaps I
    should forward your message along to company headquarters - think your
    management will approve?

    There is nothing wrong with the practice of sales price matching,
    which nearly every major retail chain *offers*, and there's certainly
    nothing "cheap" about saving a few hard-earned dollars whenever
    possible.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Aug 3, 2004
  8. Jeffman316

    JWB Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 19:25:54 -0400, "John Sayers"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I work at a Borders, and when people try and return things in this manner
    > >they instantly considered cheapskates/pains in the ass/undesirable
    > >customers/assholes. We usually do the return and give the customer back

    his
    > >few bucks, but just to keep the line moving and avoid embarrassing the

    rest
    > >of the customers in line. Then we talk about the jerk for the rest of the
    > >day - "could you believe the doo-dads on that guy?...."

    > ...all the while not realizing that it's you and your co-workers who
    > are the jerks, I'm sure. I'll remember this the next time I'm in a
    > Borders store. Did you not realize that by using their name and
    > identifying yourself as an employee, you represent them? Perhaps I
    > should forward your message along to company headquarters - think your
    > management will approve?
    >
    > There is nothing wrong with the practice of sales price matching,
    > which nearly every major retail chain *offers*, and there's certainly
    > nothing "cheap" about saving a few hard-earned dollars whenever
    > possible.

    Very true.

    I love these young retail guys who all think they are like Randal from
    "Clerks". What register-boy doesn't realize is he's a name-tag wearing
    schlep who's probably making a single-digit per hour salary to serve me.

    Yea, bag that for me, willya?

    JWB, Aug 3, 2004
  9. JWB wrote:
    > Very true.
    >
    > I love these young retail guys who all think they are like Randal from
    > "Clerks". What register-boy doesn't realize is he's a name-tag wearing
    > schlep who's probably making a single-digit per hour salary to serve
    > me.
    >
    > Yea, bag that for me, willya?

    Why don't you go work in retail for six months if you are that
    good? I wonder if you'll say that afterwards.

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    TNAImpact.com Columnist & Message Board Mod

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Aug 3, 2004
  10. Jeffman316

    JWB Guest

    "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote in message
    > JWB wrote:
    > > Very true.
    > >
    > > I love these young retail guys who all think they are like Randal from
    > > "Clerks". What register-boy doesn't realize is he's a name-tag wearing
    > > schlep who's probably making a single-digit per hour salary to serve
    > > me.
    > >
    > > Yea, bag that for me, willya?

    > Why don't you go work in retail for six months if you are that
    > good? I wonder if you'll say that afterwards.

    I did. Worked ten years in two different places. Went from clerk to store
    manager to corporate buyer. Know the biz inside out. And belittling the
    customers and treating them like the enemy is *not* how you do it
    successfully. Some customers are unreasonable - that is true. But they are
    easily dealt with.

    Certainly you would agree that a customer coming in for a price-match does
    not deserve the (silent) scorn the Borders employee gave him.

    In my retail experiences, I have seen rude, lazy salespeople outnumber rude
    customers ten-fold.

    JWB, Aug 3, 2004
  11. JWB wrote:
    > I did. Worked ten years in two different places. Went from clerk to
    > store manager to corporate buyer. Know the biz inside out. And
    > belittling the customers and treating them like the enemy is *not*
    > how you do it successfully. Some customers are unreasonable - that is
    > true. But they are easily dealt with.

    True. I'll give you respect, I just get annoyed when I hear people go
    on about how they got "crappy" service when the person in question
    in fact went out of their way to help them. Guess my response was
    out of anger and thought you were one of those types. Sorry bout
    that.

    > Certainly you would agree that a customer coming in for a price-match
    > does not deserve the (silent) scorn the Borders employee gave him.

    Unless the said customer is being a complete ass about it then yeah
    the person doesn't deserve that kind of treatment.

    > In my retail experiences, I have seen rude, lazy salespeople
    > outnumber rude customers ten-fold.

    Sadly I'll disagree with you on that. I seem to get my fair share
    of rude people on a daily basis. But it all depends on what kind
    of retail you work in I guess.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Aug 3, 2004
  12. Jeffman316

    GMAN Guest

    In article <CvDPc.62748$>, "JWB" < actually, my e-mail is jwb3333 at excite dot com> wrote:
    >"Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote in message
    >> JWB wrote:
    >> > Very true.
    >> >
    >> > I love these young retail guys who all think they are like Randal from
    >> > "Clerks". What register-boy doesn't realize is he's a name-tag wearing
    >> > schlep who's probably making a single-digit per hour salary to serve
    >> > me.
    >> >
    >> > Yea, bag that for me, willya?

    >> Why don't you go work in retail for six months if you are that
    >> good? I wonder if you'll say that afterwards.
    >>

    >I did. Worked ten years in two different places. Went from clerk to store
    >manager to corporate buyer. Know the biz inside out. And belittling the
    >customers and treating them like the enemy is *not* how you do it
    >successfully. Some customers are unreasonable - that is true. But they are
    >easily dealt with.
    >
    >Certainly you would agree that a customer coming in for a price-match does
    >not deserve the (silent) scorn the Borders employee gave him.
    >
    >In my retail experiences, I have seen rude, lazy salespeople outnumber rude
    >customers ten-fold.

    Then you havent worked in a computer related business. The zit faced "know the **** all" customers who came
    in and caused issues just to save $.50 on a mouse pad outnumbered the normal
    customers 10 fold!

    GMAN, Aug 3, 2004
  13. Jeffman316

    Biz Guest

    > Sadly I'll disagree with you on that. I seem to get my fair share
    > of rude people on a daily basis. But it all depends on what kind
    > of retail you work in I guess.

    I have never worked in retail, but almost every time I go in any store, all
    I see are nasty irate customers that think they should be given everything
    they ask for. I would vote for a law to let all retail store employees
    shoot any unruly customers. The shopping experieince for me would most
    likely improve tenfold...

    If a store-chain chooses not to offer 30 day price guarentees or whatever
    you want to call them, corporate-wide etc, no matter how many other
    store-chains do, they should in no way be obligated to do so. If you don't
    like it, go fuckin' shop elsewhere.

    This BS like" They should be it because store XYZ does" is sickening. If
    they lose business because of a policy and decide to change it fine.

    Looking at it from a customer's standpoint, the customer is rarely
    right...no matter how the saying goes...

    Biz, Aug 3, 2004
  14. Jeffman316

    > JWB wrote:
    > > I did. Worked ten years in two different places. Went from clerk to
    > > store manager to corporate buyer. Know the biz inside out. And
    > > belittling the customers and treating them like the enemy is *not*
    > > how you do it successfully. Some customers are unreasonable - that is
    > > true. But they are easily dealt with.

    > True. I'll give you respect, I just get annoyed when I hear people go
    > on about how they got "crappy" service when the person in question
    > in fact went out of their way to help them. Guess my response was
    > out of anger and thought you were one of those types. Sorry bout
    > that.

    I understand - I was kinda crass with the nametag comment (which was really
    meant for the one poster and his ilk) - even 50k+ a year managers usually
    wear nametags in retail.

    To be honest, I also don't like it when people post here and call clerks
    "best buy drones" and say how unintelligent they are or whatnot - the clerk
    is probably a college kid working for beer and laundry money. Unless I'm in
    a specialty store (like a really high-end audio store or my local specialty
    garden center where they actually *sell* product) I never expect a retail
    clerk to do anything more than read the box if I ask a question. I think
    it's ignorant of posters here to expect some kid working for $8 an hour to
    really care about widescreen vs pan and scan. Did these posters forget what
    it was like to be 18 and not giving a shit about anything except scoring
    with the girl at register 3 later that evening?

    > > Certainly you would agree that a customer coming in for a price-match
    > > does not deserve the (silent) scorn the Borders employee gave him.

    > Unless the said customer is being a complete ass about it then yeah
    > the person doesn't deserve that kind of treatment.
    >
    > > In my retail experiences, I have seen rude, lazy salespeople
    > > outnumber rude customers ten-fold.

    > Sadly I'll disagree with you on that. I seem to get my fair share
    > of rude people on a daily basis. But it all depends on what kind
    > of retail you work in I guess.

    That is true.

    JWB, Aug 3, 2004
  15. Jeffman316

    Eric R. Guest

    Mike Kohary <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Perhaps I
    > should forward your message along to company headquarters - think your
    > management will approve?

    I'm sure they would be heartbroken to lose the business of a bunch of
    cheapskates who routinely take advnatage of the company and cause them
    to lose money. God forbid any employee bad-mouth such valuable
    customers!

    > There is nothing wrong with the practice of sales price matching,

    There is when you're taking advantage of it to buy items before they
    street date, and then demanding the same sale price that others (who
    have waited) are paying later. Companies aren't in business to LOSE
    money.

    If I were Best Buy, I would tell the guy to go **** himself. Let him
    take his cheap ass down to Circuit Shitty and rip *them* off for a
    while.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Aug 3, 2004
  16. Jeffman316

    Eric R. Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message news:<ljEPc.375863$>...

    > I would vote for a law to let all retail store employees
    > shoot any unruly customers. The shopping experieince for me would most
    > likely improve tenfold...

    No kidding. Every time I go shopping, it seems like I end up in line
    behind one of these pricks. They're not just inconveniencing the store
    and the employees, they're also inconveniencing the other non-prick
    customers.

    > This BS like" They should be it because store XYZ does" is sickening.

    Yeah, let store XYZ take the hit.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Aug 3, 2004
  17. Jeffman316

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Eric R. wrote:

    > Mike Kohary <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >

    >>Perhaps I
    >>should forward your message along to company headquarters - think your
    >>management will approve?

    > I'm sure they would be heartbroken to lose the business of a bunch of
    > cheapskates who routinely take advnatage of the company and cause them
    > to lose money. God forbid any employee bad-mouth such valuable
    > customers!

    Well I routinely take advantage of it and have so far accumulated 85
    dollars worth of best buy coupons from their rewards program. That
    equates to somewhere between a thousand and two thousand dollars worth
    of retail purchases. If you were best buy management and alienated
    customers like me then you would probably go out of business.

    dick
    -- oh, and for the most part I have been treated very well by Best Buy
    customer service and sales people.

    Dick Sidbury, Aug 3, 2004
  18. Jeffman316

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On 3 Aug 2004 07:02:20 -0700, (Eric R.) wrote:

    >Mike Kohary <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >> Perhaps I
    >> should forward your message along to company headquarters - think your
    >> management will approve?

    >I'm sure they would be heartbroken to lose the business of a bunch of
    >cheapskates who routinely take advnatage of the company and cause them
    >to lose money. God forbid any employee bad-mouth such valuable
    >customers!

    No, they would be irate that the clerk behind the counter shows silent
    contempt for a customer taking advantage of a normal store policy.

    >> There is nothing wrong with the practice of sales price matching,

    >There is when you're taking advantage of it to buy items before they
    >street date, and then demanding the same sale price that others (who
    >have waited) are paying later. Companies aren't in business to LOSE
    >money.

    Fact of the matter is, it's store policy. Why in the **** *wouldn't*
    a customer do it?

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Aug 4, 2004
  19. Jeffman316

    Tarkus Guest

    On 8/3/2004 7:02:20 AM, Eric R. wrote:

    > There is when you're taking advantage of it to buy items before they
    > street date, and then demanding the same sale price that others (who
    > have waited) are paying later. Companies aren't in business to LOSE
    > money.

    Then they should change their policy. Of course, they won't, because the
    competition allows the same thing.

    > If I were Best Buy, I would tell the guy to go **** himself. Let him
    > take his cheap ass down to Circuit Shitty and rip *them* off for a
    > while.

    I'm sure their stockholders would love you putting them out of business
    by having such contempt for your customers.
    --
    "I'm not wearing any pants. Film at eleven"

    Now playing: "King Crimson - Red"

    Tarkus, Aug 4, 2004
  20. Jeffman316

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 21:07:56 -0700, Tarkus <> wrote:

    >On 8/3/2004 7:02:20 AM, Eric R. wrote:
    >
    >> If I were Best Buy, I would tell the guy to go **** himself. Let him
    >> take his cheap ass down to Circuit Shitty and rip *them* off for a
    >> while.

    >I'm sure their stockholders would love you putting them out of business
    >by having such contempt for your customers.

    In debates like these, it's pretty easy to tell the people that
    actually have business sense from those who don't.

    Some morons would treat their customers the way they feel like
    treating them, and consider that "good business". Heh.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Aug 4, 2004