    decent printer, but you can't blame a guy for trying! Besides, other
    than the color calibration, it's worked fine for 5 years now - not bad
    for a cheapie...)

    not really me, Jul 25, 2004

  2. "not really me" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My inkjet's color has always been off a bit (a little too dark, a little
    > too red). My attempts to correct it by eye with the stock printer
    > software have never been close enough. It's never been a problem with
    > most printing, but now that I'm getting into digital photography, it's
    > just not good enough. I'm wondering if any software exists that will
    > compare the original picture with the printed copy, scanned back into
    > the computer, yielding the necessary corrections. Starting with a
    > scanned image should eliminate any scanning errors. Any suggestions?
    > By the way, if it matters, the printer in question is a Lexmark Z11
    > (yeah, I know, what do I expect if I won't spend a couple of bucks on a
    > decent printer, but you can't blame a guy for trying! Besides, other
    > than the color calibration, it's worked fine for 5 years now - not bad
    > for a cheapie...)

    It is best to match the printer and the monitor. There are several ways to
    do it. Some depend on rather costly devices to map the monitor output.
    That is great for professional work, but not needed by most of us. The
    topic has been discussed often in this NG. Look in google groups. Also,
    some image editing programs include software for the purpose. But none that
    I know of are sophisticated enough to automatically do what you ask for.
    Paint Shop Pro has an automatic photo enhancement applet that does a pretty
    good job, though I often have to touch up its result.

    Marvin Margoshes, Jul 26, 2004