    Reply to:
    Lycos address is a spam trap.
    , Jan 24, 2004

  2. Another Bob Guest

    wrote:

    > Does anyone use gimp to do corrections of digital photo's? Any links
    > to good web pages with tips for enhancing my digital pictures would be
    > very welcome.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Wes

    Hi Wes

    Yes. I am strictly an amateur at it, but I use the GIMP, and it is a very
    capable image editor. For photo enhancement, most of the tools you will
    commonly use are under Image->Colors, and Filters->Enhance. For contrast,
    brightness, and color balance, I usually just use Image->Colors->Curves,
    although there are also Color Balance, Brightness-Contrast, and
    Hue-Saturation if you prefer those to manipulating the curves. For
    sharpening and blurring, there are Filters->Enhance->Sharpen,
    Filters->Enhance->Unsharp Mask and Filters->Blur->Gaussian Blur.

    Once I figured out the workings of USB and SANE, my Canon slide slide and
    film scanner worked very well with and without The GIMP on my Linux box.

    I am convinced The GIMP is as capable as most image editors, but it is
    harder to find information on the Web about it, since most "cookbook"
    articles are about PhotoShop. Many techniques used with PhotoShop will work
    in the GIMP, but the user interface is completely different, so these can't
    usually be used "cookbook" style. IOW, if you understand the technique, you
    can usually get it to work in The GIMP.

    There is quite a bit of information available on the Internet - the best
    idea is to search using Google.

    There are two good printed books, both of which (I think) are also available
    on the 'Net: "Grokking The GIMP", and "GIMP, The Official Handbook".

    Also try
    http://www.gimp.org
    as a starting point.
    Another Bob, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Jim Townsend Guest

    wrote:

    > Does anyone use gimp to do corrections of digital photo's? Any links
    > to good web pages with tips for enhancing my digital pictures would be
    > very welcome.

    Gimp under Linux is my main photoeditor..

    I chugged along on my own to learn photo enhancement using the package.
    The interface is kind of hard to learn. I think that's what turns
    most people off.

    It took a while but I'm at the point I can live quite well without
    Photoshop. I think the other thing that turns people off is that it's
    free. Most freeware is pretty crappy.. So how could a full featured
    powerful photoeditor be free :) :)

    There is information on the web, but it's fairly sparse.. But you can
    use general image editing fundamentals.. These principals apply to
    all photoediting and not just to one package..

    Basically, I use the regular tools, (levels, curves, unsharp mask etc),
    Since these tools are all available in Photoshop, you can use PS
    tutorials to effectively accomplish the same thing.

    I've also heard they made a Gimp translator plug-in so you can run
    a lot of Photoshop plug-ins under Gimp.. But I've never tried it
    myself.

    Here's one tip page I had bookmarked.. It shows how to use layers
    to add a vignette effect:

    http://www.ains.net.au/~mathman/gimptut/vignette_tut.htm

    There are a couple of good plug ins. (Film grain remover is one.)
    You'll find it at the plug-in page at www.gimp.org.

    There is also a newsgroup dedicated to the GIMP:

    Lastly.. there are online manuals that go through most of what
    Gimp does and gives examples of how to go about it..

    The 'bible' is "Grokking the Gimp".. The book is available
    online, or at better book stores...
    Jim Townsend, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Jim Townsend wrote in part:

    > wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone use gimp to do corrections of digital photo's? Any links
    >>to good web pages with tips for enhancing my digital pictures would be
    >>very welcome.

    > Gimp under Linux is my main photoeditor..

    I've even found that recent ports of The Gimp to MS Windows are much
    more stable than the first creaky, shaky Win32 versions. You can get
    familiar with the Gimpish way of doing things before using it in its
    faster native environment - COMMUNISM, a.k.a. Linux. ;-)

    gimp.org should lead you to some compiled binaries.

    Corry
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net
    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jan 24, 2004
  5. balls Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > Does anyone use gimp to do corrections of digital photo's? Any links
    > to good web pages with tips for enhancing my digital pictures would be
    > very welcome.

    You can visit http://www.gimp.org/ and follow the links in the
    documentation section. Grokking the gimp is very good (the site seems
    to be down now).
    HTH
    balls, Jan 24, 2004
  6. On Saturday 24 January 2004 06:15, wrote:

    > Does anyone use gimp to do corrections of digital photo's? Any links
    > to good web pages with tips for enhancing my digital pictures would be
    > very welcome.

    Yes. The Linux version. And gthumb as well for quick and dirty
    manipulations.

    Web sites?

    gimpguru.org (no wwww in front) is pretty good. Lots of specific
    tutorials. Very generic. Techniques could be applied to other image
    manipulation software.

    And, of course www.gimp.org/tutorials.html

    A Yahoo search will get you a lot more.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group
    Stefan Patric, Jan 24, 2004
  7. On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:15:33 -0500, clutch wrote:

    > Does anyone use gimp to do corrections of digital photo's? Any links to
    > good web pages with tips for enhancing my digital pictures would be very
    > welcome.

    Try http://gimpguru.org/ - there are lots of great tutorials there, that
    cover numerous bits of image manipulation. Gimp 2 prereleases are
    available now, and the menus/toolbars and general UI have all improved.
    It's often possible to work through a Photoshop tutorial - you just have
    to find the GIMP versions of various things. Gimp 2 also has
    white/grey/black point balance now.

    Mike.
    Mike Brodbelt, Jan 24, 2004
  8. sQuick Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone use gimp to do corrections of digital photo's? Any links
    > to good web pages with tips for enhancing my digital pictures would be
    > very welcome.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Wes

    a nice latex clad gimp ?

    sQuick..
    sQuick, Jan 25, 2004
  9. Guest

    Jim Townsend <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone use gimp to do corrections of digital photo's? Any links
    >> to good web pages with tips for enhancing my digital pictures would be
    >> very welcome.

    >Gimp under Linux is my main photoeditor..

    I am playing with it on windows 2k but every linux dist I ever played
    with had it also.

    [snip]

    >Here's one tip page I had bookmarked.. It shows how to use layers
    >to add a vignette effect:
    >
    > http://www.ains.net.au/~mathman/gimptut/vignette_tut.htm

    Thank you!

    >There are a couple of good plug ins. (Film grain remover is one.)
    >You'll find it at the plug-in page at www.gimp.org.

    I'll give that one a look

    >There is also a newsgroup dedicated to the GIMP:

    Just told Agent to pull down headers. Don't know how I missed that
    one.

    >Lastly.. there are online manuals that go through most of what
    >Gimp does and gives examples of how to go about it..
    >
    >The 'bible' is "Grokking the Gimp".. The book is available
    >online, or at better book stores...

    I have both. Online is nice, but serious study takes place in the
    reading room and there isn't a computer there. ;)

    Thanks to all that have replied,

    Wes

    --
    Reply to:
    Lycos address is a spam trap.
  10. >
    > a nice latex clad gimp ?
    >
    > sQuick..

    Now THAT scene was HARD. Those guys were playin fo' keeps.

    "..with a pair o' pliers...we gonna' get Medevil on his ass.."
    Reginald Beckwith, Jan 25, 2004
  11. Pete Nalda Guest

    In article <hLzQb.22718$>,
    says...
    > Jim Townsend wrote in part:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>Does anyone use gimp to do corrections of digital photo's? Any links
    > >>to good web pages with tips for enhancing my digital pictures would be
    > >>very welcome.

    > > Gimp under Linux is my main photoeditor..
    > >

    > I've even found that recent ports of The Gimp to MS Windows are much
    > more stable than the first creaky, shaky Win32 versions. You can get
    > familiar with the Gimpish way of doing things before using it in its
    > faster native environment - COMMUNISM, a.k.a. Linux. ;-)
    >
    > gimp.org should lead you to some compiled binaries.
    >
    > Corry

    I've been playing with the windows port as well. There's even a link on
    gimp.org to get a version with it's own installer so you don't have to
    compile all the binaries. The first time I ran it it took forever to
    startup, however now it seems a lot faster. There's still the thing
    about not being able to save to GIF though as you need some sort of
    license to use the LZW compression (don't take my word for it, the
    website explains it a lot better). They say the more ram you have the
    better it will run, but I'm doing ok with 128mb on an xp box.

    As for the program, a lot of the more powerful features are hidden.
    HINT: Right click on the image to bring up a nice long menu that these
    are burried in.
    Pete Nalda, Jan 31, 2004