    is just barely usable. I see this same camera, that I paid maybe $120
    for, going for $400 and more, and so far see no other cameras like it.
    Any ideas? Canon's newer "A" models have fewer features.

    Greg Guarino, Jan 8, 2012

  2. Greg Guarino

    MG Guest

    Re: Does anyone make an inexpensive digital camera with aperture and shutter speed adjustments?

    "Greg Guarino" <> wrote in message
    >A few years ago I bought a Canon A-590 for my (teenage) daughter. She's had
    >a lot of fun with it and has experimented a bit with the various modes. But
    >2 of the battery door clips have now broken off and the door is just barely
    >usable. I see this same camera, that I paid maybe $120 for, going for $400
    >and more, and so far see no other cameras like it. Any ideas? Canon's newer
    >"A" models have fewer features.

    This page:
    http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras
    is very useful for making a short list of cameras. You can then research
    each camera on your short list.

    The page is a little confusing the first time you use it, but works well
    when you have got it figured out.

    --
    MG

    MG, Jan 8, 2012

  3. Greg Guarino

    sms88 Guest

    On 1/7/2012 10:06 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
    > A few years ago I bought a Canon A-590 for my (teenage) daughter. She's
    > had a lot of fun with it and has experimented a bit with the various
    > modes. But 2 of the battery door clips have now broken off and the door
    > is just barely usable. I see this same camera, that I paid maybe $120
    > for, going for $400 and more, and so far see no other cameras like it.
    > Any ideas? Canon's newer "A" models have fewer features.

    The A570IS and A590IS are in very high demand. They were the last of the
    AA powered cameras with optical viewfinders that could be operated in
    manual mode, and with CHDK you gained even more control. The SD800IS is
    another classic, the last of the wide-angle sub-compacts with a
    viewfinder, and it had the same sensor as the A570IS.

    Nothing replaced them. Keep looking at craigslist and in thrift shops
    for someone that does not realize that these are classics.

    You can buy replacement battery doors for these cameras.
    <http://www.procamerarepair.com/CANON-POWERSHOT-A590-IS-BATTERY-DOOR_p_116.html>.

    sms88, Jan 8, 2012
  4. In article <jebbpp$2kh$>,
    Greg Guarino <> wrote:
    >A few years ago I bought a Canon A-590 for my (teenage) daughter. She's
    >had a lot of fun with it and has experimented a bit with the various
    >modes. But 2 of the battery door clips have now broken off and the door
    >is just barely usable. I see this same camera, that I paid maybe $120
    >for, going for $400 and more, and so far see no other cameras like it.
    >Any ideas? Canon's newer "A" models have fewer features.

    The Panasonic Lumix LX3 & LX5 have these features. Amazon had a spot
    sale on the LX5 for $269 last month though it's back up to $369 now.

    --
    ------
    columbiaclosings.com

    (Ted Nolan, Jan 8, 2012
  5. Greg Guarino

    J. Clarke Guest

    Re: Does anyone make an inexpensive digital camera with aperture and shutter speed adjustments?

    In article <>,
    says...

    > In article <jebbpp$2kh$>,
    > Greg Guarino <> wrote:
    > >A few years ago I bought a Canon A-590 for my (teenage) daughter. She's
    > >had a lot of fun with it and has experimented a bit with the various
    > >modes. But 2 of the battery door clips have now broken off and the door
    > >is just barely usable. I see this same camera, that I paid maybe $120
    > >for, going for $400 and more, and so far see no other cameras like it.
    > >Any ideas? Canon's newer "A" models have fewer features.

    > The Panasonic Lumix LX3 & LX5 have these features. Amazon had a spot
    > sale on the LX5 for $269 last month though it's back up to $369 now.

    FWIW, <http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras> has a database
    searchable by feature, which can be a good starting point. Be warned
    though, it's not completely accurate--read the review or product
    description on dpreview, the manual on the manufacturer's web site, and
    the amazon.com reviews before buying--the very low priced cameras are
    very low priced for a reason.

    Also if she's using manual controls Greg might want to consider going
    upmarket a bit and get her one with manual focus and a hot shoe.

    J. Clarke, Jan 8, 2012
  6. Re: Does anyone make an inexpensive digital camera with aperture and shutter speed adjustments?

    In article <>,
    J. Clarke <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> In article <jebbpp$2kh$>,
    >> Greg Guarino <> wrote:
    >> >A few years ago I bought a Canon A-590 for my (teenage) daughter. She's
    >> >had a lot of fun with it and has experimented a bit with the various
    >> >modes. But 2 of the battery door clips have now broken off and the door
    >> >is just barely usable. I see this same camera, that I paid maybe $120
    >> >for, going for $400 and more, and so far see no other cameras like it.
    >> >Any ideas? Canon's newer "A" models have fewer features.

    >> The Panasonic Lumix LX3 & LX5 have these features. Amazon had a spot
    >> sale on the LX5 for $269 last month though it's back up to $369 now.

    >FWIW, <http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras> has a database
    >searchable by feature, which can be a good starting point. Be warned
    >though, it's not completely accurate--read the review or product
    >description on dpreview, the manual on the manufacturer's web site, and
    >the amazon.com reviews before buying--the very low priced cameras are
    >very low priced for a reason.
    >
    >Also if she's using manual controls Greg might want to consider going
    >upmarket a bit and get her one with manual focus and a hot shoe.

    Both of which the Lx3 & LX5 have..
    --
    ------

    (Ted Nolan, Jan 8, 2012
  7. Greg Guarino

    Guest

    On Jan 8, 3:03 pm, "J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >

    > > In article <jebbpp$>,
    > > Greg Guarino  <> wrote:
    > > >A few years ago I bought a Canon A-590 for my (teenage) daughter. She's
    > > >had a lot of fun with it and has experimented a bit with the various
    > > >modes. But 2 of the battery door clips have now broken off and the door
    > > >is just barely usable. I see this same camera, that I paid maybe $120
    > > >for, going for $400 and more, and so far see no other cameras like it.
    > > >Any ideas? Canon's newer "A" models have fewer features.

    > > The Panasonic Lumix LX3 & LX5 have these features.  Amazon had a spot
    > > sale on the LX5 for $269 last month though it's back up to $369 now.

    > FWIW, <http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras> has a database
    > searchable by feature, which can be a good starting point.  Be warned
    > though, it's not completely accurate--read the review or product
    > description on dpreview, the manual on the manufacturer's web site, and
    > the amazon.com reviews before buying--the very low priced cameras are
    > very low priced for a reason.
    >
    > Also if she's using manual controls Greg might want to consider going
    > upmarket a bit and get her one with manual focus and a hot shoe.

    I went hiking in 2010, and found that I missed photos because I could
    not hike easily with my SLR out, but didn't want to stop and get it
    out every few minutes. So, this year, before my trip, I bought a point
    & shoot that I could keep out while hiking, and pull out the SLR for
    the better views. I bought a Canon Powershot SX120 IS. It has a nice
    zoom range, f/2.8 - 4.3 lens, and the most important feature for me,
    manual mode, aperture priority, and shutter priority. It has a few
    other nice features and modes that I have never had before that were
    fun. It had a slight bit of grip on the side; I do wish it had a bit
    more of a hand grip. I am not used to smaller cameras. Overall, I was
    very pleased with it, and it was great on the hikes. Next time, I will
    buy the attachment that lets you mount it on a hiking pole.

    I bought mine, used, in excellent condition, from somebody on
    craigslist, so I only paid $130 for it.

    I do recommend checking reviews, and really looking at a variety of
    models before you buy. I spent a month checking ads on craigslist,
    then checking reviews for cameras that looked good in my price range.
    Most, I opted against after checking the specs and/or reviews. The
    year before, my sister wanted to buy a digital camera, and she decided
    to do it while traveling in a state without sales tax. She took me to
    *one* store and asked me to help her pick the best one. She did not
    want to go to multiple stores. I narrowed it down and helped her pick
    one, and she was very happy with it....until this last trip when she
    saw how much better mine was. My camera wasn't any newer, and I paid
    less. Had she asked me to help her choose and given me some time, she
    would have had a better camera.

    , Jan 13, 2012