    sold by many brands) that can be recharged?

    Thanks,
    -Mike
    none, Oct 1, 2005

  2. On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:04:52 GMT, none <> wrote in

    > Does anyone make 1.5V lithium batteries (like those 'photo batteries'
    > sold by many brands) that can be recharged?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Mike

    The chemistry of a battery determines cell voltage.

    Rechargeable Lithium cells are 3.6 volts so are not
    compatible with 1.5 volt cell alkaline batteries often
    replaced by 1.2 volt NiCad/NiMH for standard sizes.

    http://www.mpoweruk.com/lithiumS.htm
    Here and There, Oct 1, 2005

  3. none

    none Guest

    Here and There wrote:
    > The chemistry of a battery determines cell voltage.
    > Rechargeable Lithium cells are 3.6 volts so are not
    > compatible with 1.5 volt cell alkaline batteries

    Yup, but there are 1.5V AA lithium batteries (usually called 'photo
    batteries') that have a built-in converter, which decreases the voltage.
    I have no idea how they fit a converter into something that small. These
    batteries can't be recharged, probably because they don't have the
    necessary equipment to go back from 1.5V to 4V.

    I was just wondering whether anyone had made a rechargeable version of
    these batteries.

    Thanks,
    -Mike
    none, Oct 1, 2005
  4. none

    John Bean Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 13:41:20 GMT, none <>
    wrote:

    >Here and There wrote:
    >> The chemistry of a battery determines cell voltage.
    >> Rechargeable Lithium cells are 3.6 volts so are not
    >> compatible with 1.5 volt cell alkaline batteries

    >Yup, but there are 1.5V AA lithium batteries (usually called 'photo
    >batteries') that have a built-in converter, which decreases the voltage.
    >I have no idea how they fit a converter into something that small. These
    >batteries can't be recharged, probably because they don't have the
    >necessary equipment to go back from 1.5V to 4V.

    I don't think this is the case, but I'm no expert. My
    (limited) understanding is that AA lithiums use Lithium Iron
    Disulphide chemistry to get the nominal 1.5V cell output,
    and they don't use any kind of converter.

    >I was just wondering whether anyone had made a rechargeable version of
    >these batteries.

    Lithium Iron Disulphide isn't rechargeable like Lithium-Ion
    variants unfortunately.

    --
    Regards

    John Bean
    John Bean, Oct 1, 2005
  5. none

    none Guest

    John Bean wrote:
    > I don't think this is the case, but I'm no expert. My
    > (limited) understanding is that AA lithiums use Lithium Iron
    > Disulphide chemistry to get the nominal 1.5V cell output,
    > and they don't use any kind of converter.

    Ahh...I didn't know that. Thanks!

    -Mike
    none, Oct 1, 2005
  6. none

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:04:52 GMT, none wrote:

    > Does anyone make 1.5V lithium batteries (like those 'photo batteries'
    > sold by many brands) that can be recharged?

    There are none, or put another way, noone makes them. :)

    I'm not aware, BTW of any 1.5v "photo batteries". Are you sure
    that they don't have higher voltages?
    ASAAR, Oct 1, 2005
  7. none

    none Guest

    none, Oct 1, 2005
  8. none

    Cathy Guest

    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Del...ttery_13043/1_5V_Lithium_AA_Battery_13043.htm

    > I have seen them at the supermarket.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Mike

    Those are the ones I told you about ASAAR that I saw in Best Buy. 1.5V
    lithium AA's for cameras.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Oct 1, 2005
  9. none

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 17:55:11 -0400, Cathy wrote:

    >>> I'm not aware, BTW of any 1.5v "photo batteries".

    > Those are the ones I told you about ASAAR that I saw in Best Buy.
    > 1.5V lithium AA's for cameras.

    I have several packages of lithium AAA and AA batteries, but
    they're not labeled "photo batteries". Would that make alkaline AA
    batteries photo or non-photo batteries? The lithium AA batteries
    work well in lights, radios, mp3 players, CD players, etc., but are
    specifically prohibited from use in some cameras, as you are well
    aware. :)
    ASAAR, Oct 1, 2005
  10. none

    Cathy Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message

    > > Those are the ones I told you about ASAAR that I saw in Best Buy.
    > > 1.5V lithium AA's for cameras.

    > I have several packages of lithium AAA and AA batteries, but
    > they're not labeled "photo batteries". Would that make alkaline AA
    > batteries photo or non-photo batteries? The lithium AA batteries
    > work well in lights, radios, mp3 players, CD players, etc., but are
    > specifically prohibited from use in some cameras, as you are well
    > aware. :)

    I don't know what they are labelled as because I haven't been in Best
    Buy for a while, but they are in the section where the batteries for
    cameras are.
    I looked on another camera store website here who also have lithium AA
    1.5V batteries
    and they say:
    "4 AA Lithium batteries
    Lasts 5 times as long as alkaline in digital cameras
    Lasts 3 times as long as alkaline in other cameras
    Weighs less than any other AA battery "
    I don't see the word "photo" mentioned, but since it says its for
    cameras,
    it would seem to be implied.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Oct 1, 2005
  11. none

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 18:37:16 GMT, none wrote:

    >>> Does anyone make 1.5V lithium batteries (like those 'photo batteries'
    >>> sold by many brands) that can be recharged?

    >> I'm not aware, BTW of any 1.5v "photo batteries". Are you sure
    >> that they don't have higher voltages?

    > Here's an example:
    > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Del...ttery_13043/1_5V_Lithium_AA_Battery_13043.htm
    >
    > I have seen them at the supermarket.

    As have I. Those are the same Energizer e² batteries that I've
    bought, and are also sold in supermarkets. But I wouldn't have
    called them "photo batteries". The word "photo" doesn't appear on
    the packaging or on the web page your link points to. When you
    mentioned "photo batteries" I thought you were referring to some
    other non-AA lithium batteries of the type that are primarily
    intended for use in cameras or other photo equipment.

    Note: The lithium AAs have a longer shelf life than the 10 years
    indicated on the web page. The expiration dates of current
    Energizer e² batteries hanging on supermarket racks is 2020. :)
    ASAAR, Oct 2, 2005
  12. none

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 18:55:08 -0400, Cathy wrote:

    >> I have several packages of lithium AAA and AA batteries, but
    >> they're not labeled "photo batteries". Would that make alkaline AA
    >> batteries photo or non-photo batteries? The lithium AA batteries
    >> work well in lights, radios, mp3 players, CD players, etc., but are
    >> specifically prohibited from use in some cameras, as you are well
    >> aware. :)

    > I don't know what they are labelled as because I haven't been in Best
    > Buy for a while, but they are in the section where the batteries for
    > cameras are.
    > I looked on another camera store website here who also have
    > lithium AA 1.5V batteries and they say:
    > "4 AA Lithium batteries
    > Lasts 5 times as long as alkaline in digital cameras
    > Lasts 3 times as long as alkaline in other cameras
    > Weighs less than any other AA battery "
    > I don't see the word "photo" mentioned, but since it says its for
    > cameras, it would seem to be implied.

    Yes, their use in cameras is implied. On the packages that I've
    bought, the back side adds that a good use of them is in cameras.
    But I think you missed my point. Mention "photo batteries" to a
    relatively untrained clerk and they'll probably have a good idea
    where they're located, with the other "specialty" batteries. AA and
    AAA batteries aren't referred to as "mp3 batteries" even though they
    can be and are used in mp3 players.

    By calling AA batteries "photo batteries", it adds to the
    likelihood of confusing the issue. It would have been more
    straightforward to simply ask if there are any rechargeable lithium
    AA batteries than to omit the "AA" battery type and instead ask for
    "1.5V lithium batteries (like those 'photo batteries' sold by many
    brands) that can be recharged". The manuals that I've seen for
    cameras that use AA batteries state something similar to what
    appears in my Fuji manual: "AA alkaline or AA NiMH batteries". I
    haven't seen any that say that "photo batteries" should be used.
    Until none's followup message, we didn't even know that his/her
    camera really used AA batteries. And then he showed a great deal of
    confusion (probably a mis-assumption) about lithium AA batteries by
    saying:

    > Yup, but there are 1.5V AA lithium batteries (usually called 'photo
    > batteries') that have a built-in converter, which decreases the voltage.
    > I have no idea how they fit a converter into something that small. These
    > batteries can't be recharged, probably because they don't have the
    > necessary equipment to go back from 1.5V to 4V.

    Note to "none": These AA lithium batteries do NOT have voltage
    decreasing converters.
    ASAAR, Oct 2, 2005
  13. none

    none Guest

    none, Oct 2, 2005
  14. none

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 00:06:19 GMT, none wrote:

    > It's not my terminology. 1.2 million hits:

    It's misapplied terminology and your terminology. Remain ignorant
    if you wish. A million internet hits means very little. That's yet
    another field you apparently know very little about. Care to show
    how many hits back up your claim that the Energizer AA lithium
    batteries are really 4 volts internally?
    ASAAR, Oct 2, 2005
  15. none

    none Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > It's misapplied terminology and your terminology.

    Circuit City: 'Buy the Energizer AA 4-pack Lithium Photo Batteries'
    http://tinyurl.com/7q6ep

    Tiger Direct: 'Energizer 4 Pack AA Lithium Photo Batteries L91BP-4 at
    TigerDirect.com'
    <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=720594>

    Apparently Circuit City and Tiger Direct -- both major retailers -- saw
    my post and decided to refer to these products as 'photo batteries' in
    their advertisement literature.

    -Mike
    none, Oct 2, 2005
  16. none

    imbsysop Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:50:54 GMT, none <> wrote:

    >ASAAR wrote:
    >> It's misapplied terminology and your terminology.

    >Circuit City: 'Buy the Energizer AA 4-pack Lithium Photo Batteries'
    >http://tinyurl.com/7q6ep
    >
    >Tiger Direct: 'Energizer 4 Pack AA Lithium Photo Batteries L91BP-4 at
    >TigerDirect.com'
    ><http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=720594>
    >
    >Apparently Circuit City and Tiger Direct -- both major retailers -- saw
    >my post and decided to refer to these products as 'photo batteries' in
    >their advertisement literature.

    one cannot prevent companies to behave like idiots :) .. as long as
    it pokes up the sales ..

    check this other thread on "lithiums" ..

    the URL given there is the tech note on those L91 type Lithiums ..

    http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf

    they may recommend whatever they like it won't change a thing to the
    fact that several cam manufacturers do NOT recommend the use of
    Lithium batteries .. (if they don't prohibit it!)
    imbsysop, Oct 3, 2005
  17. none

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:50:54 GMT, none wrote:

    >> It's misapplied terminology and your terminology.

    > Circuit City: 'Buy the Energizer AA 4-pack Lithium Photo Batteries'
    > http://tinyurl.com/7q6ep
    >
    > Tiger Direct: 'Energizer 4 Pack AA Lithium Photo Batteries L91BP-4 at
    > TigerDirect.com'
    > <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=720594>
    >
    > Apparently Circuit City and Tiger Direct -- both major retailers -- saw
    > my post and decided to refer to these products as 'photo batteries' in
    > their advertisement literature.

    Anyone is free to publish anything they want on the internet. You
    don't prove anything by searching for hits that confirm what you're
    looking for. If that were always the case, you could use the
    millions of typo/mispellings to "prove" that someone's real name is
    something other than it really is. Web page designers hired by
    Circuit City and Tiger Direct (not a very highly regarded company)
    can call AA batteries "Atomic Power Supplies" if they wish, and it
    wouldn't prove anything. As I said, "photo battery" is a term that
    has been used for many years to refer to a particular type of
    battery, and the packaging almost always says "Photo Battery" on it.
    Check out RayOVac's Photo Battery Cross Reference Guide at:

    http://rayovac.com/batteries/cr_photo.htm

    It lists lithium and alkaline photo batteries made by RayOVac,
    Duracell, Energizer & other manufacturers. These are the included
    battery types: 123A, 223A, 2CR5, CR2, CRV3, J(539), N(810).

    AA batteries have been used to power cameras for decades, yet they
    aren't included on the list of "photo batteries", because photo
    batteries are generally used (with a few exceptions) only in
    cameras. AA batteries are the opposite case. They're generally
    used in many devices, only occasionally in cameras.
    ASAAR, Oct 3, 2005