    Just wondered out of interest.

    Thanks

    Mikey
    Mikey, Aug 30, 2006

  2. Mikey

    whosbest54 Guest

    whosbest54, Aug 30, 2006

  3. Mikey

    whosbest54 Guest

    In article <44f5c15a$>, whosbest54@NO_SPAMyahoo.com.invalid
    says...

    >In article <LJhJg.192$>,
    >says...
    >>
    >>Tried Googling but no joy.
    >>
    >>Just wondered out of interest.
    >>

    >Per this site, the movie Twister (1996) was the first pressed DVD.
    >
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

    Upon further reading, the site isn't clear if that title was only available
    in Japan. It may have been and the IMAX titles were the first in the U.S.
    It doesn't say what the first title in the U.K. was. The text reads as
    follows:

    "The first DVD players and discs were available in November 1996 in Japan,
    March 1997 in the United States, 1998 in Europe and in 1999 in Australia.
    The first pressed DVD release was the film Twister in 1996. The film had the
    first test for 2.1 surround sound. The first titles released in the U.S., on
    March 19, 1997, by Lumivision, authored by AIX Entertainment, were IMAX
    adaptations: Africa: The Serengeti, Antarctica: An Adventure of a Different
    Nature, Tropical Rainforest, and Animation Greats."

    whosbest54

    http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/

    http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html
    whosbest54, Aug 30, 2006
  4. Mikey

    JoeBloe Guest

    On 30 Aug 2006 18:48:26 +0200, whosbest54
    <whosbest54@NO_SPAMyahoo.com.invalid> Gave us:

    >In article <LJhJg.192$>,
    >says...
    >>
    >>Tried Googling but no joy.
    >>
    >>Just wondered out of interest.
    >>

    >Per this site, the movie Twister (1996) was the first pressed DVD.

    snipped wikitard link

    Not even close. Blade Runner was one of the first. Twister was
    nowhere near that pressing date.
    JoeBloe, Aug 31, 2006
  5. Mikey

    Guest

    whosbest54 wrote:
    > In article <44f5c15a$>, whosbest54@NO_SPAMyahoo.com.invalid
    > says...
    > >

    > >In article <LJhJg.192$>,
    > >says...
    > >>
    > >>Tried Googling but no joy.
    > >>
    > >>Just wondered out of interest.
    > >>

    > >Per this site, the movie Twister (1996) was the first pressed DVD.
    > >
    > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD
    > >

    > Upon further reading, the site isn't clear if that title was only available
    > in Japan. It may have been and the IMAX titles were the first in the U.S.
    > It doesn't say what the first title in the U.K. was. The text reads as
    > follows:
    >
    > "The first DVD players and discs were available in November 1996 in Japan,
    > March 1997 in the United States, 1998 in Europe and in 1999 in Australia.
    > The first pressed DVD release was the film Twister in 1996. The film had the
    > first test for 2.1 surround sound. The first titles released in the U.S., on
    > March 19, 1997, by Lumivision, authored by AIX Entertainment, were IMAX
    > adaptations: Africa: The Serengeti, Antarctica: An Adventure of a Different
    > Nature, Tropical Rainforest, and Animation Greats."
    >
    > whosbest54
    > --
    > The flamewars are over...if you want it.
    >
    > Unofficial rec.audio.opinion Usenet Group Brief User Guide:
    > http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/
    >
    > Unofficial rec.music.beatles Usenet Group Brief User Guide:
    > http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

    Hard to believe we're coming up on 10 years of DVD. The first title I
    can remember seeing was "In the Line of Fire." It was in the first
    display I remember seeing, in the summer of 1997 and there were several
    other titles but I can't remember what they were. The early days were
    a bit weird, with no standardization as to packaging. I remember
    seeing the Michael Keaton flick "The Paper" in a CD jewel case at
    Camelot Music sometime in 1997 or 1998.

    -beaumon
    , Aug 31, 2006
  6. On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:09:42 -0700, JoeBloe
    <> wrote:

    >On 30 Aug 2006 18:48:26 +0200, whosbest54
    ><whosbest54@NO_SPAMyahoo.com.invalid> Gave us:
    >
    >>In article <LJhJg.192$>,
    >>says...
    >>>
    >>>Tried Googling but no joy.
    >>>
    >>>Just wondered out of interest.
    >>>

    >>Per this site, the movie Twister (1996) was the first pressed DVD.
    >>

    >snipped wikitard link
    >
    > Not even close. Blade Runner was one of the first. Twister was
    >nowhere near that pressing date.

    According to DVDlist..

    Feb 1st 1997 saw "Return of Boogeyman" from Simitar. That was pressed
    in 1996 since it was used as a demo during a 1996 Christmas trade
    show. Also an Imax disc was demonstrated in 1996. Also "Interview
    with the Vampire" was seen in November 1996 according to a newspaper
    article.

    March 2nd Artisan released "Red Heat."

    March 10th MGM released "Poltergeist."

    March 19th Lumivision released 4 discs"Tropical Rainforest, Imax."
    "Africa; the Serengeti," (Imax) "Animaton Greats, NFB of Canada" (a
    disc which I have) and "Antarctica, an adventure of a different
    Nature." (Imax)

    March 25th saw the release by Warner of "Twister," "The Exorcist,"
    "Bonnie and Clyde," "Fugitive," and "Interview with the Vampire"
    (which I've often seen referred to as "The First DVD release" (note
    above) along with "Twister," both are wrong obviously if talking about
    commercial releases.)

    Also March 25th MGM released "Goldeneye." and "Wizard of Oz."

    "Color Purple" came on March 27th, Spielberg had asked for a late-week
    release according to my "laserviews" review.

    "Bladerunner" was released August 22nd 1997, MUCH later.

    ... Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 31, 2006
  7. Mikey

    ThePunisher Guest

    JoeBloe wrote:
    > On 30 Aug 2006 18:48:26 +0200, whosbest54
    > <whosbest54@NO_SPAMyahoo.com.invalid> Gave us:
    >
    >> In article <LJhJg.192$>,
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> Tried Googling but no joy.
    >>>
    >>> Just wondered out of interest.
    >>>

    >> Per this site, the movie Twister (1996) was the first pressed DVD.
    >>

    > snipped wikitard link
    >
    > Not even close. Blade Runner was one of the first. Twister was
    > nowhere near that pressing date.

    Get 'your' facts right, idiot.

    --
    ThePunisher
    Latitude: 54.67N
    ThePunisher, Aug 31, 2006
  8. Re: Does anyone know the title of the first ever DVD title released?(UK/US)

    whosbest54 wrote:
    > In article <44f5c15a$>, whosbest54@NO_SPAMyahoo.com.invalid
    > says...
    >
    > It doesn't say what the first title in the U.K. was. The text reads as
    > follows:
    >
    > "The first DVD players and discs were available in November 1996 in Japan,
    > March 1997 in the United States, 1998 in Europe and in 1999 in Australia.
    > The first pressed DVD release was the film Twister in 1996. The film had the
    > first test for 2.1 surround sound. The first titles released in the U.S., on
    > March 19, 1997, by Lumivision, authored by AIX Entertainment, were IMAX
    > adaptations: Africa: The Serengeti, Antarctica: An Adventure of a Different
    > Nature, Tropical Rainforest, and Animation Greats."

    Darn, could've sworn Scimitar's IMAX "Chronos" was on the list somewhere--
    Or, in a case of "Cheap mom-and-pop companies leaping on a technology
    buzzword" history repeating itself, maybe I'm confusing it with Goldstar
    making "Chronos" semi-officially the first HD-DVD ever made.

    Derek Janssen (mark that bit of trivia down for future reference)
    Derek Janssen, Sep 1, 2006
  9. Mikey

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > Darn, could've sworn Scimitar's IMAX "Chronos" was on the list
    > somewhere--
    > Or, in a case of "Cheap mom-and-pop companies leaping on a technology
    > buzzword" history repeating itself, maybe I'm confusing it with
    > Goldstar making "Chronos" semi-officially the first HD-DVD ever made.

    Chronos would have been the first HD DVD title, except that they've
    continually delayed it and it still hasn't been released.
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 1, 2006
  10. Mikey

    JoeBloe Guest

    On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:19:40 GMT, "ThePunisher"
    <> Gave us:

    **** off, idiot.
    JoeBloe, Sep 1, 2006
  11. Mikey

    Guest

    Re: Does anyone know the title of the first ever DVD titlereleased...

    I can tell you my first DVD title was Eraser.I bought the dvd in 1996
    when the dvd players were suppose to be released but hollywood fucked
    that up.They wanted the players to be equipped with macrovision devices
    so the discs could not be recorded.I must have waited 6 months before I
    got my hands on a dvd player so I could finally watch Eraser!
    , Sep 5, 2006
  12. Re: Does anyone know the title of the first ever DVD titlereleased...

    ERASER
    DVD Release Date March 24, 1997

    Robert Frechette, Sep 8, 2006
  13. Re: Does anyone know the title of the first ever DVD title released...

    On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 00:06:57 -0400, wrote:

    >I can tell you my first DVD title was Eraser.I bought the dvd in 1996
    >when the dvd players were suppose to be released but hollywood fucked
    >that up.They wanted the players to be equipped with macrovision devices
    >so the discs could not be recorded.I must have waited 6 months before I
    >got my hands on a dvd player so I could finally watch Eraser!

    And there was a Toshiba demo disk that came out early in 1996 or
    perhaps in 1995 that I got to work on early DVD decoding chips.

    I think we got a bundle of 3-4 comercial DVDs after that and all I can
    remember were Eraser (perhaps because you mentioned it) and Wizard of
    Oz.

    --Charles
    Charles Marslett, Sep 23, 2006